Current PGA tour

Re: Current PGA tour

Postby lagpressure » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:32 am

Did anyone see Bubba's interview on Friday after missing the cut?

"The course is too tight, I don't like the look of this course, and the greens required I hit to a 10 foot circle. I could never shoot 10 under par here and I am a pretty good golfer."
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby norcalvol » Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:07 pm

Reminds me of a teaching on rationalization as a coping mechanism...
"The fact that I keep getting arrested has nothing to do with my behavior."
Accelerate forever!
norcalvol

Postby norcalvol » Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:00 pm

Example contour maps of greens at Pinehurst No. 2 (via Ian Poulter)...
Attachments
Pinehurst greens 1&2.jpeg
Pinehurst greens 1&2.jpeg (33.75 KiB) Viewed 2027 times
Accelerate forever!
norcalvol

Postby norcalvol » Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:18 pm

This said it all about Rickie Fowler today at Pinehurst...

"That has to be left... We were saying that his new swing with Butch he uses his hands less and rotates his body more, but he's gotten back to using the hands I'm afraid, John."
-Gary Koch (NBC)

Are there any students out there that can relate to this? :lol:
Accelerate forever!
norcalvol

Postby LesMurray » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:24 am

I watched almost all of Kaymer's Friday 65. He was striking the ball with such accuracy. I want to say he hit almost every green and most of the fairways. As some have said, it was a clinic.
LesMurray

Postby norcalvol » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:03 am

Kaymer fairways (T8th):
Round 1: 13/14
Round 2: 12/14
Round 3: 10/14
Round 4: 8/14

Kaymer greens (T18th):
Round 1: 11/18
Round 2: 15/18
Round 3: 10/18
Round 4: 9/18

Kaymer's ballstriking deteriorated greatly when the weekend came, but there was nobody there to challenge him. He won the tournament on Friday.
Accelerate forever!
norcalvol

Postby LesMurray » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:17 am

Something to be said about missing only 2 fairways and 3 greens. That's the way you win a US Open.
LesMurray

Postby k2baloo » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:52 am

And the majority of the greens he missed seemed to be just off the greens leaving very manageable up and downs
k2baloo

Postby SlamminSam2 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:28 pm

Gary Koch talks more nonsense than almost anyone. Fowler doesn't go from flipping with his hands on on one shot to having them passive on the next. I've said it before on here but I think that 90% of the changes Fowler has made are purely cosmetic and any improvement he's made is down to improved timing from a different backswing sequence. He flips it just as much as he ever did.
SlamminSam2

Postby lagpressure » Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:03 am

The US Open for as long as I can remember was the event that put the premium on driving accuracy more than any other event.. certainly of the other "majors".

Last year at Merion, it seemed like a more classic US Open. Short course by today's standards... not one player broke par if I remember correctly on Sunday. The course played 6850 on Sunday.

This year, I just saw too many guys hitting greens from the off fairway scruff, and even making birdies. That to me is not a US Open. Lots of scary scraggly stuff it appeared, but for the most part, it seemed everyone's ball was just on some sandy stuff with some tall straw like grassed that didn't seem to really snag the club and create much of a problem. Chamblee said several times that the fairways were actually very wide for a US Open. The greens looked tough to putt.... but a couple of the five pars seemed way too easy for a US Open. Hitting 6 iron in .... that's not a par 5 to me. That's a mid length par 4.

So much talk about the course, and how they put it back to it's original design intentions. I just don't see that making any sense unless the put the game back to it's original intentions... that being a combination of driver and golf ball that propels the ball 250 to 270 for 95% of the guys on tour. Then we can talk about golf being played as it was intended. Until they do that, it's just blabble.

Kaymer played much better than anyone else and his win is a win in pro golf today. But I didn't get the feeling he was walking a tight rope like past US Opens where the penalty for missing fairways was much more severe. Where is OB these days? The last time I saw a player hit one OB was Striker at Merion last year. I think Dustin J hit one OB in the British Open.
lagpressure
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Top Threads (2000 Club)