The Nautilus, the Golf Swing, Golden Ratio, Fibonacci seque

Re: The Nautilus, the Golf Swing, Golden Ratio, Fibonacci seque

Postby Range Rat » Mon May 16, 2016 2:00 pm

Wondering about the tee ceremonies myself Mashie. Elkington posted Mr. Burke @ 93 not too long ago on the heels of information about maybe Arnold Palmer having an injury so would be missing the event if my memory is correct- maybe an indirect message to the folks at Augusta. Not sure of all the details obviously, but a good question. He needs to be on the first tee next year, at least in my book he does!!

Two related items:

http://twitter.com/elkpga/status/709797074343071744/video/1
You're ahead of where you were, and behind where you're going.
Range Rat

Postby LesMurray » Mon May 16, 2016 8:28 pm

Speaking of Jackie Burke, I've been watching a lot of his stuff lately.

Here's one that is resonating with me right now.

LesMurray

Postby Range Rat » Tue May 17, 2016 5:41 am

Can't get too far off base watching Mr. Burke and gathering in what he has to say.

Mr. Burke now stands alone at the top of the information pyramid link to the past- the last man graciously standing from that age past bringing forward great things through interviews and video. The information he offers, just within his video work alone, far surpasses anything Mr. Hogan offered in his written work. Who else can offer that depth with more sense of certainty from observation and discussion than he had with the players many love and study for insights, answers, or direction. Just my opinion of course, but I wish I would have reviewed, or even known more of Mr. Burke's work, before spending as much time looking into Mr. Hogan's work as I have.

Mr. Burke gives his view about how Mr. Hogan may have viewed closely held information, starting around 2:25.

Can you imagine back in the day, when players traveled together, sitting around a hot hotel lobby with the likes of Harmon, Guldahl, Runyon, Revolta, Demaret, Nelson, Hogan, Laffoon, Picard, etc., discussing swing theories, moves, intentions, layouts, etc. Mr. Burke was in that hot lobby and, like 1Teebox said, took it all in.

Anyone with objections about Rat Man starting a new ABS thread about Mr. Burke, calling it Burke's Boulevard? There already is an ABS equipment thread related to Mr. Burke, but the Boulevard thread would be a wide avenue of things of interest and insight from Mr. Burke.

I was thinking about starting the same type thread over on Secret in the Dirt first, but without moderators over there some goofy punks will enter the thread and gum the whole thing up with disrespect and punkisms. :(
Range Rat

Postby 1teebox » Tue May 17, 2016 9:19 am

I hope you start that thread here Rat Man.
Good Luck.
1teebox

Postby 1teebox » Tue May 17, 2016 9:34 am

By "here" I meant a new thread devoted to Mr. Burke at ABS, not here in The Nautilus where it would be very welcome but not as easy to find, especially later on.
1T
1teebox

Postby 1teebox » Thu May 19, 2016 11:03 am

Why would hitting the ball lower with more spin and a lower COR head (persimmon) not hit as far off line as modern clubheads if all other variables are controlled?

Is the lower COR in persimmon the primary influence?

Does this apply both to balata balls and modern balls?

Have these questions been tested with controlled conditions and an Iron Byron?
1teebox

Postby Ded2Journey » Fri May 20, 2016 4:57 am

1teebox wrote:I hope you start that thread here Rat Man.
Good Luck.

I second that!
"People have always been telling me what I can't do. I guess I have wanted to show them. That's been one of my driving forces all my life." -Ben Hogan
Ded2Journey

Postby Range Rat » Sat May 21, 2016 9:45 am

1teebox wrote:Why would hitting the ball lower with more spin and a lower COR head (persimmon) not hit as far off line as modern clubheads if all other variables are controlled?

If a titanium insert is installed into a persimmon head having the same reactive/dynamic qualities seen from frying pans during the separation phase then on center strikes would have the same COR, all things being equal, like head mass, speed, ball, AoA etc. Not a scientist here, just my sense on it- good questions though with several moving, and interrelated parts.

May be more an MOI issue than COR, but a little of both actually. :)
Range Rat

Postby Range Rat » Sat May 21, 2016 9:53 am

Ded2Journey wrote:
1teebox wrote:I hope you start that thread here Rat Man.
Good Luck.

I second that!

Hearing no objections, I will rustle some things up featuring Mr. Burke and hope that Lag will help keep the thread clean. :)
Range Rat

Postby Ded2Journey » Sat May 21, 2016 2:08 pm

Range Rat wrote:
1teebox wrote:Why would hitting the ball lower with more spin and a lower COR head (persimmon) not hit as far off line as modern clubheads if all other variables are controlled?

If a titanium insert is installed into a persimmon head having the same reactive/dynamic qualities seen from frying pans during the separation phase then on center strikes would have the same COR, all things being equal, like head mass, speed, ball, AoA etc. Not a scientist here, just my sense on it- good questions though with several moving, and interrelated parts.

May be more an MOI issue than COR, but a little of both actually. :)

I'm guessing it's the ball more than anything, but this is based on what I see when I play my persimmons. I can still pump a modern ball out about 270, but I feel that is mostly the head. When I pull out an old professional 90, I'm lucky to hit it 250. I doubt this has ever been tested anywhere.

Assuming the head was hollow behind the the titanium insert, and reinforced--the trampoline effect may just give it a solid POP. However, you've now removed mass so the compression factor greatly changes. I hypothesize a modern ball may respond very nicely. Conversely, a balata would probably just come off flat. Balata's on my modern set up is quite deflating...ball just squishes and comes off knucklebally (is that a word? HAHA). Of course, most balata's I've played are probably dead...fortunate to have a good vintage collector that feeds me a few every now and then to "feel" all this. Wish they would make some new ones to test... :cry:

All armchair theory here of course...
"People have always been telling me what I can't do. I guess I have wanted to show them. That's been one of my driving forces all my life." -Ben Hogan
Ded2Journey

PreviousNext

Return to Top Threads (2000 Club)