Feelings

Re: Feelings

Postby nfbandon » Mon May 25, 2015 5:16 pm

That story gives me hope!
nfbandon

Postby Jollysammy » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:51 am

This thread about feelings is hard for me since I don't really play golf. My son is the junior golfer who plays effortlessly and with a lot of what we have learned here that I talk to him about. Yesterday he had a 129 yd shot with his 9 iron in a tournament at Earl Fry at Chuck Corica in Alameda. It was hole 3, back pin from the middle of the fairway. I thought he hit it too short from my vantage point at hole 4 tee box, but it sailed, hit and stopped 6 inches to the left of the pin, tap in for birdie. He then comes up to me at hole 4 and says, I bladed that last shot, it felt terrible. To which I said, well if that the results, why don't you blade everything, and his friend next to me started laughing.

He's still growing into the sport as he was a former youth baseball player before. He still is learning to feel the game. The day before he shot in the 1st round 67 to lead his age group. But the next day, being in the lead with the last group is something he's only been about 4 times and the pressure got to him and he shot 82 and came in third.

He was actually tired on day 1 since he played a match at Lake Merced the day before and had a 7am tee time at Earl Fry the next day. So he didn't even hit on the range, just putted at the practice green. I remember his last 2 practice putts from about 50 feet. The first putt went level with the hole but 2 inches left, so I jokingly said, you need to aim more right 2 inches, so he did, and the next one went in dead center.

1st hole he bogeyed, but then was even after birdieing the par 5 2nd. It was when he came to the par 3, tee shot lands about 50-60 feet to the hole, he putts it and then as it travels toward the hole he turns around thinking he missed it only to hear the ball drop into the hole, the other guys tell him it broke at the last second toward the hole, rimmed the cup and then dropped in. Now he's charged and proceeds to only have 1 more bogey the rest of the round 1 under going into the turn and then 3 under for the rest of the round, he even held back from going for birdie on 18 because he was getting nervous and worried that the adrenalin would have him airmail the approach. He had never shot below 70, his best was a 71 and now he was at 67, uncharted territory for him. His Hdcp is 4.3, all from tournament scores.

He had complained before the round that his arms were tired from Lake Merced the day before. But looking back I suspected that not using the range and being tired meant that he played more relaxed as his arms were sore. He's hitting a lot approach shots within 10 feet, not over swinging.

Next day, he uses the range for a small bucket. But today the putts are not dropping like they were and the adrenalin of defending a lead makes some shots go too far, too much draw.

I remembered a thread here where Lag talks about swingers needing to hit so many buckets of balls at the range to tune up and hitters not needing that. I've found now that to be true for my son, he's a hitter, and he seems to do better when he's not tired from hitting on the range before the round.

But getting back to feelings. My son has only had 4 lessons when he was 9 and then 3 lessons at 10 for sand and simple swings, but then I tried to get lessons from another pro for hitting draws and fades at 11 and after seeing his grip and hitting motion the pro wanted to change everything, grip, stance, etc and my son just wasn't happy as the pro was trying to change him into a swinger and he's a hitter. We never had lessons again, I just have him play a lot and let the blades teach him more. He's told me that it isn't the same for him to practice vs playing tournaments, he's more focused and plays better in tournaments because he feels there's nothing at stake in practice.

Anyway, long story short. I've noticed over the years that when my son says he bladed a ball, that ball inevitably goes dead straight, perfect trajectory and distance. But he will say it is a bad shot because of how it felt off his clubhead. He's using Mizuno blades with Project X Rifle 6.0 shafts and since he's been using blades since 10 he knows the feel when he misses with them. I once asked him what he was aiming at and he replied, I don't aim, I just try to make good contact.

He says when he hits a pure shot he has the feeling of nothing that he can tell will fly well. Also, he picks the ball, almost all the time he has no noticeable divot to speak of.
Jollysammy

Postby LesMurray » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:58 am

Your story seems to go in line with a discussion about Hogan Precision irons. With the weight away from the toe, any hit not in the sweet spot will feel bad but the results are not too bad at all. Comparing those Hogan irons with some Wilson Staffs, the feedback is that slight off-center hits with the staffs still feel solid, but the results can be a bit unpredictable.

I think Mizunos take their inspiration from the Hogan Precisions and what your son is feeling is related. The slight miss hits feel bad but the results are acceptable.
LesMurray

Postby Mashie72 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:22 pm

Heel of the Club

Hey Students

Just wanted to share my recent thoughts/"Rain man-like" practice regarding the heel of the club, its path and aiming. If I remember correctly some time ago in a 2M video, he mentioned that he tries to draw a circle in the ground with the heel of the club. It got me thinking more about the heel's function and where it needs to be just before/after & at impact for a flush straight hit.

What I mean by "aimed" is that I picture one of those alignment pointers that stick to the clubface except it's a magical tiny one attached at the heel/shaft parallel but inside of a normal one. A larger analogy would be kind of like aiming your feet parallel left of the target instead of at it.

Normally I just focus on face, path & AOA & don't even give the heel a second thought other than "heel heavy divots". Working backwards from the hole, all that is required is to have the sweetspot/ball moving directly at the target for a pure shot at separation. Therefore the heel must be physically aimed & located slightly left of the hole at impact. Also a nanosecond before impact, the heel must be fractionally inside that location for an inside out strike/initial contact.

So now I have the feeling of drawing this circle (thanks 2M) in the ground with the heel and the furthest the heel gets away from me on the ground is at separation. What does this do? It allows me to aim my heel more left of the target at set-up, shallows my approach some and helps insure the slightest inside out initial contact. If the heel of clubhead is marginally too high just before impact, there's no way to have the heel where it needs to be at separation without it going too far away from me beforehand (pulls/weak shots). Or if it's too low, the heel will be traveling away too much after separation (push shots).

All of the above is hard to describe but seeing some nicely flushed shots thinking about what goes on with the heel. If I don't flush it on even the smallest pitch shots, it comes back to this heel monitoring of the circle and the heel's location/aim just before & after impact.

I realize the above is most likely way too much to think about, has some oversimplifications and probably faulty logic but wanted to share a new insight that seems to be working/giving feedback awareness clues into the shots that aren't.
"The secret is on the deck"
Mashie72

Postby Mystery man » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:12 am

I'm not a tour pro nor am I a scratch golfer.But I feel the simplest way to slot a club is with a proper backswing.The A swing /C Back swing / Tennis power move or whatever anyone calls it.For some reason internally rotating that right forearm at the top so the club feels like it points down third base is so simple.The club has no where else to go when everything unwinds into the ball.
One in the oven
Mystery man

Previous

Return to Top Threads (2000 Club)