The Rules Thread............

Re: The Rules Thread............

Postby lagpressure » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:30 am

I understand the marketing aspect of hitting longer is an easy sell to the public.. I get that.
But to take the most critical skill of ball striking.. long iron play into the long 4 pars out of the game is tragic at the pro level.
That is what really distinguished the pro swings from the amateur swings. That is the great experience in the body as a sensation.
Hitting the ball off a tee does not take the skill set that hitting a 1 iron off a tight lie and shaping it into a green does. Golf courses were designed to test all three iron shot skill level sets for the pro or quality amateur. Long, Mid, Short irons.

So it's the purpose of the governing bodies to ensure that the game remains intact upon these core principles. That it remains a game of honor and tradition. I can't think how they could have failed the game more. Obsoleting all the great tracks... is illogical and absurd. Much easier to limit the gear and the ball than have to redesign all the courses... and history now has shown that the redesigns are not working. Just lengthening the course does not fully address the issues of design intent... shot shaping and trajectory etc.

A new organization has to rise up.. no other way. They can't be trusted to do the right thing. The long putter issue is a perfect example. They are admitting to feeling out the waters with this.. getting feedback, holding forums etc. They need to just ban it and be done with it. Admit their mistakes and then start cleaning house with all the other issues.. the ball, frying pans etc.

Not likely that will happen, but I didn't think The Eagles would go out and tour again either.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby lagpressure » Wed May 08, 2013 9:36 am

Snedeker Not a Fan of Fans Having a Say in Policing Players

PONTE VEDRA BEACH, Fla. — Five years before a television viewer flagged Tiger Woods for a violation at the Masters, Brandt Snedeker was summoned to a Saturday meeting of the rules committee at Augusta National, same as Woods last month, to explain something they said raised a red flag after his Friday round.

Snedeker said during his post-round news conference after that second round in 2008 that he had received some advice from his playing partner, Tom Watson. A television viewer made a phone call to the tournament and conveyed the message that Snedeker appeared to have violated the rule that prohibits golfers from giving advice to their playing partners during a round.

“I said in the press conference that I had asked him for some advice on life in general on tour,” Snedeker, the defending FedEx Cup champion, said Tuesday.

He added: “Somebody called in and said that Tom Watson was giving me advice on how to play Augusta. So I had to clarify it and let them know it was about how to travel on tour with your family, how to do stuff like that, not how to play the 11th hole at Augusta National.”

Snedeker, who went on to finish in a tie for third, is not a fan of the armchair rules official. “I don’t think fans should be able to call in and dictate the outcome of a tournament, saying we see a rule broken and blah, blah, blah,” he said. “We as players sometimes do stuff that we don’t know happens, and that’s just part of golf. I’m sorry.”

He added: “I think we’re the only sport where fans can actually dictate some of the action if they see something going on. I don’t know how far down that road we want to go. I don’t think there is any place for it. I don’t think it’s fair to some guys and not fair to other guys. I feel like I’m getting called to the principal’s office. I just don’t feel like it’s the way the game of golf is supposed to be played for us out there, to be under that much scrutiny every time you go back.”

Snedeker said he strongly suspects he is expressing the majority view on tour.

“I think all guys, all of us in the locker room, all of us feel like our integrity is one of the most important things to us,” he said. “So I trust every other guy implicitly in that room. When it comes to a questionable drop, when it comes to a questionable thing, I would literally bet everything I own that 99 percent of the guys in that room would do the right thing.”

He continued: “That’s why I never question any other player. We’re all in the same boat. I don’t care what you say about a couple of questionable drops here or there.” He added: I know everybody out here feels comfortable with every other player doing the right thing under the circumstances, and that’s why I think most guys are kind of against this issue. Because we know those guys are not trying to break the rules.”
lagpressure
Site Admin

Banning the Long Putter Champions Tour Players Speak Out

Postby lagpressure » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:11 pm

http://advancedballstriking.com/long_putter_ban.mov

1.jpg
1.jpg (64.83 KiB) Viewed 5802 times
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby lagpressure » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:21 am

"A committee should consider all evidence, regardless of the source, that may be relevant in determining the facts to which the rules must be applied," according to the USGA statement, which noted the USGA and R&A would decide as part of their 2016 rules review, the potential impact of video technology on the game’s edicts.

"To reach a correct ruling, all evidence from witnesses concerning a possible breach of the rules should be considered, whether those witnesses are participants in the competition, non-participants such as spectators, or persons who have reviewed television footage and the like."

Even people that don't know golf think this is absurd. A two shot penalty if the ball rocks a 16th of an inch from it's position.
How could that ever be an advantage to a player? When will the silliness ever end?
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby Paul C » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:41 am

It's getting better. USGA now says no penalty for ball movement unless detected by golfer. Or put another way, enhanced technology cannot be used to determine if a ball moved.

In a joint statement, released as part of their biennial review of the Decisions on the Rules of Golf, the governing bodies declared that a “ball will not be deemed to have moved if that movement was not reasonably discernible to the naked eye at the time.”

http://blogs.golf.com/presstent/2013/11 ... ml?sct=hp2
Paul C

Postby slight_fade » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:51 pm

Paul C wrote:It's getting better. USGA now says no penalty for ball movement unless detected by golfer. Or put another way, enhanced technology cannot be used to determine if a ball moved.

Those are overstatements, in my opinion. No penalty for ball movement unless detectable (within reason) by a golfer. Evidence obtained using technology that performs better than human sight cannot be used.
slight_fade

Postby lagpressure » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:24 pm

lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby HelterSkelter » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:21 pm

Yes saw that and thought about posting it myself.

It's not just international cricket either. The newer bats are fairly dangerous on some of the smaller village grounds.
HelterSkelter

Postby stevemcgee99 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:10 pm

I like the last guy's comments on the long putter video - that 'bigger issues' are the ball and the driver size.
McGee
stevemcgee99

Postby stevemcgee99 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:59 pm

TeddyIrons wrote:I'm struggling to understand how the rules of golf and the law makers can ever come into contact. There is something warped about the idea that law makers can tell ruling bodies about the rules of their game. I've never heard of any judge telling the football associations of the world what kind of football they can and can't use.

I must be thick because I can't understand why judges feel they have any jurisdiction over such matters.

LOL
McGee
stevemcgee99

PreviousNext

Return to Top Threads (2000 Club)