The Rules Thread............

Re: The Rules Thread............

Postby lagpressure » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:54 pm

I used to love to watch so many events.... so many great courses the tour used to play. Most every course looks the same. Huge greens, wide fairways, few or no trees. All par 4's are wedge or short iron approaches. Most all par 5's are playing like par 4's. Players spray the ball 50 yards off line and then putt for birdies.

BORING!

I don't even watch much of the majors anymore. I just can't believe the game has gone down such a wormhole and dragging the golfing public right down with them.

I love the classic game and will keep playing it whether people bash it or not. It was a better game, more interesting, and there was nothing wrong with it.

The modern game is fun for some or many, and people should also have that option to play that way. I think both could and should exist in parallel.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby stevemcgee99 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:48 pm

Tonight I played TRGA rules.

Been a while since I've done anything and I sliced pretty badly in the beginning. But finding my ball, and pacing back 30 yards to hit from the fairway saved a LOT of time and frustration.

However my favorite shot of the day was a 2 iron on a downward slope under very low cypress branches. Just walked up, pulled the club, dropped my back, grounded the club, and punched it.

Funny thing about flags - I started quite late and on the 9th hole the greenskeeper drove out and took the flag. I pulled and handed him the one on the 10th green. Played the rest without flags, ha ha. Only a couple of time I needed to stick an iron in the hole to see it, and that was in shadows from the moonlight. Sure, I didn't aim too close to the hole for my approach most of the time, but whatever. Nice being on a links course by the ocean at Sharp Park all to myself.
McGee
stevemcgee99

Postby LesMurray » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:07 pm

Hmmm, don't know what to think with this new rule change. Opinions?

LesMurray

Postby HelterSkelter » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:28 am

It's a rule for fast greens surely. Now they can make the greens even faster without any penalties being applied.

Balls being blown around will still annoy players though. Especially Speith!

So in short not a big fan of it.
HelterSkelter

Postby LesMurray » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:40 am

He does bring up an interesting point - his goal is that players should only be penalized if they purposely commit a foul. It's interesting that they only apply this for the green and not also through the green.
LesMurray

Postby lagpressure » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:44 am

I think it's a good rule, similar to a player's ball falling off it's tee while hitting a tee shot.
Should be through the green.

I've seen this in bunkers where a player takes a stance and somehow that moves the ball, rolls back down a slope etc.
If a ball moves because you take a stance, don't touch it with your club or hand... I don't think that should be a penalty.

I wish they would address real issues like the golf ball going 15% farther or giant headed frying pan drivers.

Penalty for putting with the pin in must be the worst rule ever.
I can chip the ball from the fringe.... hits the pin and drops in for birdie.... and that's ok,
but if I tap the ball in from two inches with the pin in, that's a two shot penalty? WHY?
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby k2baloo » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:30 pm

lagpressure wrote:I think it's a good rule, similar to a player's ball falling off it's tee while hitting a tee shot.
Should be through the green.

I've seen this in bunkers where a player takes a stance and somehow that moves the ball, rolls back down a slope etc.
If a ball moves because you take a stance, don't touch it with your club or hand... I don't think that should be a penalty.

I wish they would address real issues like the golf ball going 15% farther or giant headed frying pan drivers.

Penalty for putting with the pin in must be the worst rule ever.
I can chip the ball from the fringe.... hits the pin and drops in for birdie.... and that's ok,
but if I tap the ball in from two inches with the pin in, that's a two shot penalty? WHY?

Agreed on all of the above. I don't think they'll ever roll back how far the ball is going, but at least we can still enjoy the vintage game if we so choose.
k2baloo

Postby lagpressure » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:49 pm

Sure miss a high spinning ball that will hold shape all the way down to the ground.
The balata's were always the choice of the good strikers. They used to make an opposing ball for the hackers that didn't spin much.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby lagpressure » Mon May 15, 2017 7:09 am

I think that golf has got to really test a player’s skill and ban these books from tournaments. Jack Nicklaus ‘invented’ the yardage book but it really has no place in tournament golf. Before yardage books, everyone played by look and feel. If the guys are good enough then they don’t need a yardage book.

Greg Norman

Been saying this for years, and it's another skill set that has been eliminated from the game that disconnects the player from their environment and of course slows down play. All one has to do is watch a PGA Tour event and one will see the pros missing often by two clubs.

Playing without yardages over time will heighten a players intuition and senses forcing them to be much more aware of their environment, temperature, humidity, lie, elevation, wind, terrain and strategy.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby lagpressure » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:38 pm

Long-time yipper and alternative putter Bernhard Langer was always opposed to the proposed ban. He's all but worn out talking about it.

"Well, I can't express my thoughts in five minutes," Langer said. "I'm somewhat surprised ... after this many years of having the long putter out there. Who is using the big-headed driver? Everybody. Who is using the hybrid? Everybody. Who is using the ball that goes 300 yards? Everybody. Why? Because they're an advantage for everybody.

"Who's using the long putter? Ten or 12 percent of the players? I guess it's not an advantage; otherwise everybody would use it. That's all I have to say."

I think Langer makes good points here. While I am no fan of broomstick putters, I agree that all of the other issues would be of equal relevance or more so.
Best solution would be to ban all that stuff and go back to playing golf again. :roll:
lagpressure
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Top Threads (2000 Club)