Current PGA tour

Re: Current PGA tour

Postby HelterSkelter » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:21 am

There's no doubt that the big heads really reward speed, but I think so many other factors too. Spin rates, launch angles, dimples and construction of the ball. This is why we are still seeing year on year increases, albeit not on the same scale as the explosion of the late nineties. All the tech combined makes the ball go higher and further and straighter each year.

Koepka hit a 3 wood 379 yards off the tee at the last, with minimal wind assistance. Obviously there was a decent roll. There were two bunkers up the right, the first at 306 and the ball carried that. Then hit what looked like a 5 iron, which finished a few yards short of the green and rolled back a bit, maybe 50 from the flag at most. According to the commentary the tee was at 681 yards.
HelterSkelter

Postby Range Rat » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:54 am

I watched about 2 holes, one of which was the 681 call, couldn't believe it. It would take me a week to get home. Crazy game we have today, not as crazy as the driver I saw for the first time the other day. I swear, my first reaction was, my God, there's a compass on this club. :lol:
tm.jpg
tm.jpg (29.65 KiB) Viewed 1683 times
You're ahead of where you were, and behind where you're going.
Range Rat

Postby Wknhacker » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:09 am

HAHAHA!! :lol:

Good one there Rat. I bet the people at TaylorMade will tell you that compass will give you an extra 20 yards, guaranteed. :lol:

The golf equipment industry is just plain ridiculous at the moment. Callaway just released a "Pro" hacker line of irons priced at $250.00 per iron! :shock:

That's well over two grand for jacked up lofted shovels which aren't even forged.
"I have a tip that can take five strokes off anyone's golf game: it's called an eraser." - Arnold Palmer
Wknhacker

Postby k2baloo » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:34 am

Going to watch the old guys today. Some good players are here - Faldo, Woosnam, Couples, Pavin, and Stricker, of course. Should be fun.
k2baloo

Postby k2baloo » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:06 pm

Pavin hits it insanely low. I was impressed with his accuracy but he's pretty limited over 175 out. He was playing with Freddie and Stephen Ames. Freddie had some terrific mid and long iron shots that he hits about twice as high as Pavin and they land softly. His putting was pretty poor though.

BTW Pavin was using what looked like an old Bullseye putter. Was neat to see that.
k2baloo

Postby k2baloo » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:12 pm

I like watching Bubba play. Obviously, not an ABS swing. I like the shots he plays, the crazy swings, etc...

https://youtu.be/qL6inomT-HY
k2baloo

Postby LesMurray » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:30 am

Just wondering how many people watched the British Open thinking this is how tough the US Open should have been. Jordan's play off the tee didn't impress me so much but what I did like is that there was generally a penalty for missing the fairways and those fairways were pretty narrow.

Last year's Open we saw two players play outstanding golf, not backing off the whole way. This year, although we had the showdown, Jordan's play was all over the place. Hat's off for being able to come back from a +3 start. Kuchar played his heart out and was obviously crushed at the end with Jordan's comeback.
LesMurray

Postby k2baloo » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:37 am

The Open has become my favorite tournament. If feels like a quality event year after year.
k2baloo

Postby HelterSkelter » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:27 am

I really enjoyed it as usual and it is a great course. Speith did get away with it a bit off the tee, the rest of his game was superb though.

They were a bit unlucky with the set up of the course. It's been a very dry year generally, so the rough didn't really grow as normal. Added to that we have then ironically had a wet spell lately that made the course and greens very soft. So the worst of both worlds. Normally the rough would be higher and the course firm and fast at that time of year. The wind on two days did help keep the scores down a bit though.
HelterSkelter

Postby Wknhacker » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:18 am

So I was at this year RBC Canadian Open at Glen Abbey. Spent the entire day on Friday and followed a few different groups throughout the day. Dustin Johnson and Bubba drew the largest crowds. In the morning I followed the group of David Hearn, Graham Dalet and Patrick Cantlay. I really wanted to see Dalet's swing as I have heard he is one of the better ball strikers on the tour. He absolutely loves to hit stinger shots like the one in the video below. He was playing these low boring stingers even with the driver and was firing at pins all morning but just couldn't hole a lot of his birdie putts.

In the afternoon I followed the threesome of Charlie Hoffman, James Hahn, and Ryan Palmer. Hoffman was easily the better ball striker out of the three. Interestingly enough Palmer wore metal spikes as we could hear him click clacking away on the concrete paths. However, his ball striking was poor. He hit two out of bounds tee shots, was always in the fairway bunkers, and missed the cut.

I saw a few holes of Bubba and Johnston. They both love to hit a high tee ball. Bubba's florescent green ball just seem to stay in the air forever. Johnson is so long off the tee that he rarely uses any iron longer than a 7 iron from the fairway.

It's always humbling for me to hear what proper compression on the golf ball actually sounds like. Regardless of what we think of the modern golf swing and golfers, these guys make a different sound when they hit their iron shots than what I hear when I'm on the golf course.
"I have a tip that can take five strokes off anyone's golf game: it's called an eraser." - Arnold Palmer
Wknhacker

PreviousNext

Return to Top Threads (2000 Club)