Right Leg Loading and Weight transfer

Re: Right Leg Loading and Weight transfer

Postby Steve P » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:05 pm

I do like Ballard. Some people call it rockin and blockin but it's tour proven. I'd say I have a heavy Ballard influence especially with connection I am a big believer there. :ugeek:
Honestly if abs is a rotary off the right leg with a late linear push its something I have a hard time with. Definitely not unlike a modern forehand though in terms of pivot. That at least allows me to make sense of it better so thanks.
Really for me the right foot slide is a crucial sticking point to abs. I know you guys will flame me but I personally fail to see how a right foot sliding that way has pressure. For the record I get that almost every time on my practice swings and for me I don't exaggerate right foot pressure in transition. I have not filmed real swings for me to see if it happens then.
I know for a fact if I swing on a slippery surface or if I don't have traction in the right foot it slips out. It doesn't give out in that direction though so I remain skeptical.
I think Ballard really has a strong method. Elbows down and connection and I actually like his idea of a coil since we have two legs. For consistency and ease of execution IMO there's no match for Ballard. I like his ideas very much.
Here's the thing if you said Greg Norman pressures into the right leg in transition I would have no problem with that. My only disagreement is that when the foot is sliding towards the target how can it be pressuring?
It seems so obvious to me to be beyond question that sliding forward is being drug forward. You cannot use the right leg to push the right foot towards the target it's impossible!
Ballards idea of elbows down is just like the training exercise from five lessons and is a major key for me as I execute the swing now. For me it really allows a short arm swing with a big turn. I like that.
I don't know about Ballard in terms of linear vs rotary but my take is its more linear. That's what suits me personally. Pure rotary I can't do there's little weight shift and the club doesn't look at the target long.
For me it's easier to keep the face at the target a bit longer going a bit linear.
I know I have disagreements on abs I am just curious to hear how they are answered on a public forum. The right leg biased rotary to late linear makes sense to me I can comprehend that intent. If that's what abs is that's what abs is.
To me everything kind of comes down to Knudson vs Hogan. Knudson was a bit more linear and Hogan was more rotary.
Pickyourpoison I guess.
Steve P

Postby Mashie72 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:13 am

Great. I'm glad you're all over Ballard. I can still hear his resonating & passionate voice in my head from a lesson I had with him 25 years ago. Good stuff especially for linear type players who like to keep their intensions going towards the target.

As far a GN's slide I really have to defer to Bradley & Lag. Brad knew/knows Greg very well. Lag has hit balls right behind him studying his footwork. I also know what is taught here as we have been talking about for 26 pages now. My right foot goes that way as well when I slip. We also have the "scale" pic of GN @ impact.

However as a observation, I think Greg was very athletic. I think he somehow was able to transfer just about all of his ground energy very quickly and late to the clubhead. So much so his feet are practically off the ground like Fed's forehand. I also think it comes from his wide/slightly outside takeaway and across the line at the top. Then when you uncoil this wind-up the lower body twists (especially the right leg) and becomes almost "weightless" similar to how the trail leg of a hockey player kicks back on a slap shot.

IIRC, GN went to Led, worked on being parallel to the target at the top and his extremely athletic move/footwork went away after that.

Just my 2 cents

I grabbed this from the Vault and apologize to Lag/Brad but hope it might serve as a nice teaser to sign up for it.
Attachments
gnrip.gif
gnrip.gif (912.57 KiB) Viewed 3382 times
"The secret is on the deck"
Mashie72

Postby lagpressure » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:51 am

Really for me the right foot slide is a crucial sticking point to abs. I know you guys will flame me but I personally fail to see how a right foot sliding that way has pressure.

It's not a slide, it's a grind.... and it's all working together in unison with weight transfer.

You're making a lot of assumptions about what you think is being taught to students here. You're also clearly stuck in a two dimensional understanding of the swing. Too much time looking at videos and still shots. This is why students drill here so they can be led to the big AH HA moments.

Also, if you actually understand "connection", then you would understand that a cohesive body tension created by opposing forces within the body
is the way to do it. It's a hallmark of the great ball strikers. It's also something lacking in most of the modern players.

There are key pressure points in the body, and those all must be anchored ultimately either at the ground or against the club.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby HelterSkelter » Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:41 am

I watched a program where Greg was talking about his core strength. Apparently he did a lot of surfing when he was younger and he was very aware that his core strength was unusual.

He said that he had an innate feel for 'being in the right place as he dropped into the wave' as he put it. And he could do this due to serious core strength, stability and balance. He had also talked to other top surfers about it and they had said similar things.

He thinks that this had a lot to do with his amazing pivot and post impact.
HelterSkelter

Postby 1teebox » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:06 pm

Another way to pressurize without 'shifting weight'?
1teebox

Postby Steve P » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:59 pm

lagpressure wrote:
Really for me the right foot slide is a crucial sticking point to abs. I know you guys will flame me but I personally fail to see how a right foot sliding that way has pressure.

It's not a slide, it's a grind.... and it's all working together in unison with weight transfer.

You're making a lot of assumptions about what you think is being taught to students here. You're also clearly stuck in a two dimensional understanding of the swing. Too much time looking at videos and still shots. This is why students drill here so they can be led to the big AH HA moments.

Also, if you actually understand "connection", then you would understand that a cohesive body tension created by opposing forces within the body
is the way to do it. It's a hallmark of the great ball strikers. It's also something lacking in most of the modern players.

There are key pressure points in the body, and those all must be anchored ultimately either at the ground or against the club.

As far as a two d understanding goes I doubt that. I am not worried about trying to figure things out that was about six or seven years ago. Then I was studying a lot. I mean don't take that the wrong way I think we are all always students of the game it's just that after a while there's a lot less surprises.
The Norman gif was neat I don't think I've seen that before. Lots of centripetal force on display there.
On connection I agree. Hogan said it best live tension. For me my big aha moment was revisiting what Hogan said about elbows inward in 5l. Ballard says elbows down Hogan said elbow pits at hips. That's just hugely helpful with the arm swing IMO. It forges the arms into one firm unit and synchs the arms club unit with the body so yeah I love that.
Pressure points is too mystical for me. I am not trying to get acupuncture just hit a golf ball sitting still.
A lot of it can be done unconsciously really based on other fundamentals IMO.
Steve P

Postby Range Rat » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:37 pm

Steve P wrote:
lagpressure wrote:
Steve P. wrote:

As far as a two d understanding goes I doubt that. I am not worried about trying to figure things out that was about six or seven years ago. Then I was studying a lot. I mean don't take that the wrong way I think we are all always students of the game it's just that after a while there's a lot less surprises.
The Norman gif was neat I don't think I've seen that before. Lots of centripetal force on display there.
On connection I agree. Hogan said it best live tension. For me my big aha moment was revisiting what Hogan said about elbows inward in 5l. Ballard says elbows down Hogan said elbow pits at hips. That's just hugely helpful with the arm swing IMO. It forges the arms into one firm unit and synchs the arms club unit with the body so yeah I love that.
Pressure points is too mystical for me. I am not trying to get acupuncture just hit a golf ball sitting still.
A lot of it can be done unconsciously really based on other fundamentals IMO.

Geezo Stevie, I was ready and anxious to hear your thoughts about the difference between 'sliding' and 'grinding' since it was you that brought up 'sliding', but you seem to have conveniently side stepped that piece of the dialog, and instead used 2d understanding as a response starting point. Do I need to state the obvious :lol:
You're ahead of where you were, and behind where you're going.
Range Rat

Postby k2baloo » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:24 pm

1teebox wrote:Another way to pressurize without 'shifting weight'?

Thanks. I enjoyed this one
k2baloo

Postby stevemcgee99 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:31 pm

lagpressure wrote: This is why students drill here so they can be led to the big AH HA moments.

Steve P. - I suggest you read, then try. Reading then writing a rebuttal is obviously not resulting in a deeper understanding at all.

If you're not interested in understanding, please say so.
McGee
stevemcgee99

Postby Steve P » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:59 pm

I'm pretty much done for the most part expressing my disagreements. Remember I am only a poser golfer anyhow.
:ugeek:
I have no legs to stand on really. It doesn't change my thoughts about it but I realize they are not supportable.
Since I am not a pro no one will listen anyways.
Steve P

PreviousNext

Return to Top Threads (2000 Club)