Right Leg Loading and Weight transfer

Re: Right Leg Loading and Weight transfer

Postby Hope » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:28 pm

I have been watching Lags youtube video's on this topic and I started thinking........We all know that Stack and tilters start with thier weight completely on thier left leg. Since ABS is complete opposite of S and T would it be benefical for ABSers at address to start all your weight on your right leg?
Hope

Postby Dukeman » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:47 am

The right leg loading is an interesting concept. When I watch the videos in the Vault, in just about all the swings of the greats I see the weight bifurcating. The lower body weight is moving forward, but the upper body weight is staying back....maybe just another way of saying spine tilt.

In the Greg Norman Vault, go to page 3 of his film/video section. Check out the 5th video down the page. There is an excellent example of seeing the lower body weight transfer while the upper body weight stays back. (Sorry I couldn't figure out a way to copy that video here). Greg turns this move into a big reverse C finish, but other players do the move and finish more vertical.
Dukeman

Postby jpd5184 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:55 am

i have had a problem of falling back and getting a big reverse C when i try to pressure my right let in transition. This causes back pain.

I have been trying to get more horizontal pressure with my right leg than vertical pressure. I have also been trying to cover the ball with my chest a little more.
jpd5184

Postby Hope » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:30 am

Great thoughts so far on this topic. Its amazing how modern day teaching focuses on keep your weight left, keep your head still, tilt your shoulders.. A huge light bulb came when i watched the Curtis Strange video from the vault. Curtis gets way behind the ball with his weight/head. I told myself if Curtis won two back to back US Opens with this lateral movement than why am I not doing that. This was eye opening cause it taught me that in order to get properly on the 4:30 I must get fully right loaded or else any slight left leg weight on the backswing putts me OTT! Curtis Also talked about the Reverse C which is caused by trying to keep your head behind the ball (or keep your head still).
Hope

Postby jpd5184 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:38 am

right leg loading is important, but eventually any good swing is going to have to load the weight into the left leg to finish the swing. The hard part for me is when does the weight go from the right leg to the left leg..
jpd5184

Postby lagpressure » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:38 am

Remember that right leg loading is then meant to be UNLOADED through the strike. The weight transfers from right to left while you are hitting the ball. Another critical element is swing pace or tempo. The quicker your backswing, the more pressure you can load into the right leg.

Strange had a slower backswing so he had to move more laterally with his body. With a quicker tempo, you can keep the upper body a bit more stationary as Hogan did. However, with a quicker tempo comes an increase in muscular responsibility, particularly in the right knee.
This has to be done correctly.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby Dukeman » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:07 pm

[quote="lagpressure"]The weight transfers from right to left while you are hitting the ball.

I've always had this thought, and I think I had a problem that many people do. My upper body would shift forward along with my lower body before the hit and it contributed to a steep downswing. It's one of the things that I worked on with Brad.

And Lag, I'm probably misunderstanding your point, but when I watch the greats all the way back to Bobby Jones I see the right foot coming off the ground at impact while the upper body is back. Many even have their head moving down and backward (away from the target) at impact. That's what I meant by weight bifurcation....lower weight forward, upper weight back.
Dukeman

Postby Craig Toone » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:14 pm

My thoughts are alot of it depends on your own personal biomechanics as chris said & swing method. Eg alot of modern players are switching to a modern "rotary" type swing ala Hunter Mahan, Rose, Manassero, Tiger. The point of their swing is to get onto the left pivot point as soon as possible then rotate hard around it.

No-one doubts that there is more than one way to skin a cat here. The problem is when people start comparing a Mahan swing to Hogan just because its all low & left post impact, when in reality under the surface the pressures & intents are poles apart.

ABS has it right (pun intended drum roll). Norman backs us up :)
Craig Toone

Postby Hope » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:47 am

One question that has been on my mind for a while is-

(According To ABS standards) When your loading on the right leg and completing the backswing Should your arms and Body stop moving simultaneously right into the transiton to the downswing? Its easy for your arms to keep moving away from the target even when you have finished your turn. I thought this was a good question and something that has stuck with me for a long time.

Thanks
Hope

Postby TheCrow » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:26 am

As a Drill/Module 2 student this topic is really important to me as I search for the correct feel.

I haven't got to try it yet but I imagine that the ground pressures should feel the same as when I throw up a baseball and hit it to the outfield during a game of 500 up. I toss the ball up, squat on my right leg and then as the ball comes down, push towards my left and my weight falls on to the left foot after impact. The heavy bat really shows how impossible it would be to hit the ball just off the left foot. Am I in the ballpark ? :lol:
TheCrow

PreviousNext

Return to Top Threads (2000 Club)