Right Leg Loading and Weight transfer

Re: Right Leg Loading and Weight transfer

Postby lagpressure » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:21 pm

Steve P wrote:Stenson and Hogan both said the ds is initiated by a move left with the weight.

Hogan.gif
Hogan.gif (299.08 KiB) Viewed 4069 times

Why do they say this? Because loading, pressuring into the right leg is just obvious.
If the move was just an initiation left, then there would be no reason to flex the right knee, correct? The more economical way would be to flex THE LEFT KNEE! not the right. There would be absolutely no reason to flex the right knee if the goal was to move weight left right from the top. One would be much better to just "fall" left.... by removing the structural post that is the left leg.

Hogan and Stenson are just saying the same thing as a baseball pitcher that says he initiates his fastball by raising the left knee up.. or leading with the left foot, planting the left foot. Of course they are pushing off the right leg by flexing it, that's just a given.

Show me one decent touring pro that doesn't flex their right knee to start the downswing. That's just a given.

If you are going to jump.... you have to flex your knees right? Knee flex allows you to jump up... or move your weight laterally. Either way, you push off the ground to do that.

In golf, some players and teachers suggest more of this than others. I'm a big believer in a big push, because lateral weight transfer is one of those "triple winners" in that it creates more velocity, greater acceleration and assists accuracy by flattening out the lowpoint through the strike.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby Steve P » Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:55 pm

^^^watch the right elbow in the black and white gif. The right knee flexes as you say, John, but what about the left hip? It moves at the same time.
Steve P

Postby Stu Carlburger » Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:13 pm

Steve P wrote:^^^watch the right elbow in the black and white gif. The right knee flexes as you say, John, but what about the left hip? It moves at the same time.

Steve,

I'll take a shot at explaining what you pointed out -- but Lag explains it, and Bradley has a video on it.

Yes, the left hip moves left as the pressure goes down the right (rear) leg in the transition. But, it's not a conscious "shift" left as much as its a biomechanical and intuitive counterbalance action that the body initiates all on its own. This is one of those things that Lag is talking about when he said you're spending too much time looking at two dimensional images/videos and not enough time on feelings. There are many things that just "happen" in the golf swing when pressures are properly deployed. Bradley talk extensively on this subject here: https://youtu.be/SkkSlsZhyFA I suggest you watch it and try to understand what he's saying.
Stu Carlburger

Postby lagpressure » Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:04 pm

Steve P wrote:^^^watch the right elbow in the black and white gif. The right knee flexes as you say, John, but what about the left hip? It moves at the same time.

If the hips are rotated at the top, and you quickly flex the right knee at transition, the hips have to open some because the legs are attached to the hips. This is just obvious stuff.

Try to move your hips with frozen knees. They won't move much.

Bottom line is... you want weight to transfer from right foot to left foot through the strike, not all of it transferring before.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby IanB » Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:07 am

The realization that a static photograph does not show anything about "weight" or "pressure" has been huge for me in my path to better golf.
In the same breath so has the realization that just because we can draw lines on a computer screen doesnt mean we should. What the heck did we do before video analysis and computers? How did Hogan do it
Probably one of the biggest red herrings in golf for sure.
There is DO and there is DO NOT. There is no TRY.
IanB

Postby Range Rat » Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:36 am

Good thoughts here from Greg Norman, especially about downloading into the green stuff, supporting what Two and Lag have been saying. :)
You're ahead of where you were, and behind where you're going.
Range Rat

Postby Range Rat » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:19 pm

Never know where, when, or how a nugget will surface- Rats have acute hearing. Was watching CNN and guest panelist John Kirby, a retired Rear Admiral in the Navy, used an old Navy saying, so he said, during a discussion: "steering from the wake instead of the bow". The context was political shortsightedness by determining actions from where we've been instead of where we're going, but for the forum here it does seem to describe the trail leg providing almost a stabilizing rudder effect. Tried Googling the phrase but couldn't find it. Anyone know of it?

PS. Apologies for watching CNN for anything. :lol:
You're ahead of where you were, and behind where you're going.
Range Rat

Postby ABSinThailand » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:17 pm

Range Rat wrote:Never know where, when, or how a nugget will surface- Rats have acute hearing. Was watching CNN and guest panelist John Kirby, a retired Rear Admiral in the Navy, used an old Navy saying, so he said, during a discussion: "steering from the wake instead of the bow". The context was political shortsightedness by determining actions from where we've been instead of where we're going, but for the forum here it does seem to describe the trail leg providing almost a stabilizing rudder effect. Tried Googling the phrase but couldn't find it. Anyone know of it?

PS. Apologies for watching CNN for anything. :lol:

Ah, Range Rat, you may be on to something there but ultimately you may be chasing vapours as the original true full secrets are unfortunately likely deeply hidden already. To quote John Steinbeck from "The Log from the Sea of Cortez":-

"If one should steer mathematically perfectly, which is of course impossible, the wake will be a straight line; but even if, when drawn, it may have been straight, it bends to currents and waves, and your true effort is wiped out."

But having said that I will watch with interest to learn from any small nuggets you may come across in your sleuthing! ^_^

ABSinThailand

Postby paradigm_shift » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:24 pm

I have been drilling, hitting shots 'while only standing on my rear right leg'. I can hit the ball really well this way and this thread seems to explain the reasons why, but I want to make sure I have been understanding the concepts correctly.

At the top of my backswing 100% of my weight is on my rear leg. In the downswing, 100% of my weight is still on my right leg. This causes my upper body to hang back a bit with torso closure, while my lower body shifts to the left, hence secondary spine tilt is created and my arms have room to fall into 4:30. At impact, since I am still only on my right foot, 100% of the weight is still on my right leg but . After I hit the ball, my left foot (which i had hanging in the air to balance) has to come slamming down or else I''d fall. My weight FINALLY shifts to my left at 95%+.

Is this all correct? It seems spine tilt is easier for me to create on one leg since pressuring into the right leg is mandatory.
paradigm_shift

Postby lagpressure » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:52 pm

Yes, that is a good intention to get the quick transfer from right foot and leg to the left foot and leg.
It can take quite a bit of leg strength in the left/knee to "catch" the weight properly.

Hitting shots like this is a good drill to feel how delaying rotation can be beneficial to keep pressure on the shaft.
lagpressure
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Top Threads (2000 Club)