P3 - P4

Re: P3 - P4

Postby chipin » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:10 am

About me:
I'm one of Bradleys students and I like the ABS stuff a lot! I'm on M3 right now but I've got a questions and I wonder if some of you had similar experiences or feelings.
I'm a right hander, playing left handed.
So keep in mind, that my rear hand is weaker.

Goal: rear arm connection
I've had a hard time trying to hold the rear upper arm connected to the torse.
It would always come off somewhere prior to impact. I tried to hold it in as hard as I could with internal muscular force.
When it worked, the shot was very goot with high ball compression. I could cut left easily with full pressure on the shaft.
But I knew this was not repeatable.

Possible solution
I needed some external force to help me keep the rear arm packed in.
Therefore, the club needs to be laid off as much as possible. This, however, would require the rear forearm to rotate open (clockwise) very long in the downswing.

Turning point?
In M1 we try to rotate both forearms counterclockwise into impact.
Does this mean, that at some point in the downswing we inverse the forearm rotation from CW to CCW? And when would that be? Would this introduce a new timing problem?

Alternative
I tried to keep the right wrist cupped and cocked and the right forarm rotated CW as long as I could in the swing all the way trough impact.
In other words I tried to hold the clubface open with the right hand all the way, and square it and pressure it with the lead shoulder.

Effect:
For the first time I felt the pressure in the left armpit and I could use the left shoulder to pressure the club through impact.
It felt very slow but with a lot of force.
It worked best with a heavy persimmon wood.
I think that instintively and because of the drill work that my lead arm probably turend CCW through the ball.
So basically my arms worked against each other. The rear arm holding the face open, the lead arm and shoulder try to close it.

The shots I hit we're good and it was very easily repeatable. Because it was easy I got lazy with holding the face open with my rear arm (my weaker one).
And the shots we're still ok until I felt the pressure in the lead shoulder weaken.
I reacted on emphasizing the rear hand "holding back" again and the good shots came back.
I also felt this is easily repeatable because once I felt I can use the mass and the power of the lead shoulder I desperatly wand to feel it again. It feels very powerful.
the wrist cock feels very present through and still after impact.

Conclusion?
I'm not sure if that "hands working against each other" is necessary or if it caused something vital without me being concious of it.
I wonder if somebody else has felt something similar.
And I'm confused about what the rear hand/arm should do prior and through impact. And I wonder what Hogan does right prior and through impact :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_tkZegUozY

Any reply is appreciated.

And thanks to all the contributors in this forum. It's awsome to read through it all.
chipin

Postby chipin » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:18 am

Just to clarify: I used expressions for right handers, to hopefully make it easier to understand for most.

Here is a swing, when I used internal muscular force to hold the rear upper arm tight to the torso.
Obviously, the shaft is to steep, the clubhead not deep enough. Not repeatable:
http://makeagif.com/ACqrBu
chipin

Postby HelterSkelter » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:12 am

The rear arm connection will improve with the drills. I wouldn't worry about it too much unless you are doing it as a drill.

The rear arm will also get closer with the transition work. Which as you rightly say involves the cw rotation. You are also correct about the cw rotation followed by the ccw rotation into impact. Yes this is difficult but will be easier after drills 4&5.

I wouldn't try and open the face all the way on a normal shot.

I think there is a certain element of the right wrist holding back some wrist cock against the left. The forearms are both turning the club into the ball fairly hard, and then the pivot takes over.
HelterSkelter

Postby nfbandon » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:39 am

I agree that you just need to keep drilling. As far as timing, I guess that is true with any method. However, there is a clear switch in ABS from vertical ground pressure to horizontal pressure...so it is pretty obvious when it is time to fire the guns. That occurs when you get the hands at the right hip pocket.
nfbandon

Postby norcalvol » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:05 pm

nfbandon wrote:...That occurs when you get the hands at the right hip pocket.

If I was an ABS student back in my High School days, I would have made this into a poster and hung it on my bedroom wall...

Jim Furyk right hip pocket.jpg
Jim Furyk right hip pocket.jpg (38.35 KiB) Viewed 5846 times
Accelerate forever!
norcalvol

Postby chipin » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:24 am

ok thanks for your answers.
I'll wait for the drills 4 and 5 then so I can set up the guns correctly ;)
chipin

Postby chipin » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:02 pm

nfbandon wrote:I agree that you just need to keep drilling. As far as timing, I guess that is true with any method. However, there is a clear switch in ABS from vertical ground pressure to horizontal pressure...so it is pretty obvious when it is time to fire the guns. That occurs when you get the hands at the right hip pocket.

I've tried to apply module one today. Very late bute very effective.
Shots were drawing a bit more than I'd have liked. So I tried to use the supination into the ball from drill 1.
Launch angle came down a little bit and shots were straight or slightyl fading... and far!!
The feeling was the best I've had hitting golf balls ever.

I don't know exactly when in the downswing I fired the forearm rotation but it almost felt natural after just a few hits.
I hit some heel shots and even shanks too, but overall such a pure feeling and results. I'm truly grateful for this ABS stuff and especially to Bradleys guidance!!!

Can't wait to see how it works on the course when I get then chance to play.

Lot's of work to do still but heading in the right direction :)
chipin

Postby LesMurray » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:30 pm

You know when you are on the right track when you start drawing and hooking the ball. This is how you know you are bringing the club in on the 4:30 line.

Mod 3 will then straighten that hook out.
LesMurray

Postby NRG » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:05 pm

5.gif
5.gif (200.61 KiB) Viewed 5476 times

HoganHandAction.jpg
HoganHandAction.jpg (58.7 KiB) Viewed 5470 times

2014-03-02_2249.png
2014-03-02_2249.png (131.58 KiB) Viewed 5480 times

I try to feel like I never lose the crease in the right wrist through impact, or mod 3 has to be stronger than mod 1, not easy stuff at 100mph.
NRG

Postby NRG » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:18 pm

Hogan3.gif
Hogan3.gif (99.61 KiB) Viewed 5174 times
NRG

PreviousNext

Return to Top Threads (2000 Club)