P3 - P4

Re: P3 - P4

Postby lagpressure » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:19 pm

snead_secret.gif
snead_secret.gif (786.2 KiB) Viewed 6244 times

Out on the range in Arizona today, put on a Snead style hat and took a video of my swing which I hadn't seen in a while. I had to chuckle as a few of these frames looked a lot like the Slammer. I've been messing around with some different leg and foot pressure applications.. might be exactly what he was doing?
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby IanB » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:29 am

That's funny when I first looked at the vid my first thought was Ive never seen Snead wearing shorts before!!!!
Striking thing to me is the connection of the left arm post impact and the pivot from impact to p4.
Something for us to strive for.
There is DO and there is DO NOT. There is no TRY.
IanB

Postby lagpressure » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:08 pm

I've certainly spent years studying Snead's swing, but never felt like I swung like him cosmetically. Funny that for some reason after laying off resting my right elbow, I come back and my swing looks like this. I had to laugh really at this sequence. Snead always had such great spine tilt on the downswing, the right elbow underneath and the wonderful pressure into the right foot. I had actually been working on adding more spine tilt and then working on more pressure coming off the right leg into the strike, so I suppose it shouldn't be too much of a surprise.

If you look at the right knee from the first still frame to the second, I am making a huge push with the right knee which is creating a more lateral move in the lower body… certainly more than I usually do, and maybe I should continue this pursuit. I was a good day with the driver, missing just one fairway with a 1 iron on a very tight course. Not the best I have ever struck the ball, but a lot of good shots.

Maybe it's just the magic Snead hat with the grey shirt. Sorry about the shorts :lol: but it's just too hot in Arizona!
Attachments
1.tiff
1.tiff (765.32 KiB) Viewed 5985 times
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby Ded2Journey » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:17 pm

Lag,

It's interesting you bring up spine tilt. With the drills you develop spine tilt over time through the strike. However, have you worked with "pre-setting" spine tilt at address? It's very subtle in pictures and video (at least for me), but I've found it to really help the consistency of the strike. I personally believe Hogan hit the nail on the head with the right knee and elbow fundamentals in 5 lessons.

I'm very curious to hear your opinion as an expert in classic swings...
"People have always been telling me what I can't do. I guess I have wanted to show them. That's been one of my driving forces all my life." -Ben Hogan
Ded2Journey

Postby lagpressure » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:24 pm

I'm all for simplifying the golf swing. Moe hammered home to me the advantage of pre setting spine tilt at address ….basically bowing toward the 4:30 line with closed shoulders. I have done this for years, but have a tendency to start more upright if I haven't played in a while. So I was focusing on that again, and pressuring off the right foot more through the strike so that my weight transfer is contributing to the forces of impact in a more idealistic way. It certainly feels correct but the body does what it does. The swing needs to be a subconscious motion. Hard to take any swing thoughts out onto the golf course.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby eagle » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:12 pm

Thanks for sharing that. I'm focusing on the right foot, how it holds, rolls, then slides.
Wondering do you have a down the line view?
eagle

Postby LesMurray » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:34 pm

eagle wrote:Thanks for sharing that. I'm focusing on the right foot, how it holds, rolls, then slides.
Wondering do you have a down the line view?

Isn't the roll because of the push off the right foot during weight transfer, then the slide happens from the squeeze once we are on our left side?
LesMurray

Postby shiggins123 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:52 pm

I was privileged to view Lag's shot there in Sedona, I was just behind him looking DTL.
Thank you, John, as this was just one of the several shots that helped me throw away my modern clubs and embrace ABS as the only option for me.
shiggins123

Postby NRG » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:44 am

2.gif
2.gif (198.95 KiB) Viewed 5482 times
NRG

Postby Ded2Journey » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:30 pm

lagpressure wrote:I'm all for simplifying the golf swing. Moe hammered home to me the advantage of pre setting spine tilt at address ….basically bowing toward the 4:30 line with closed shoulders. I have done this for years, but have a tendency to start more upright if I haven't played in a while. So I was focusing on that again, and pressuring off the right foot more through the strike so that my weight transfer is contributing to the forces of impact in a more idealistic way. It certainly feels correct but the body does what it does. The swing needs to be a subconscious motion. Hard to take any swing thoughts out onto the golf course.

Good to hear this...I too feel the need to preset the spine angle. The right knee helps...thanks Mr. Hogan. I've experimented with addressing the ball like Moe Norman...it works well with good spine tilt, but feels a bit jerky on the takeaway. I've drilled so hard, the movements are subconscious for sure, just not always tight...just like my squeeze and right side load need constant attention. No worries, still a FAR better ball striker than I've ever been...
"People have always been telling me what I can't do. I guess I have wanted to show them. That's been one of my driving forces all my life." -Ben Hogan
Ded2Journey

PreviousNext

Return to Top Threads (2000 Club)