Re: Let's Talk Lag's Golf Machine

Postby J-Pav » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:11 am

And at a right angle to the spine! :D
J-Pav

Postby Hope » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:05 pm

lagpressure wrote:http://vimeo.com/24537554

Bobby Clampett discussing his book "The Impact Zone"

I'll discuss my thoughts on this if anyone has questions or other thoughts about it.

So you said that you would discuss thoughts and answer questions regarding this so Im taking you up on your word!! What would be your overall thoughts on this video related to your teachings. Im most interested in what you think about his aiming point?

Thanks!
Hope

Postby lagpressure » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:11 pm

Generally speaking I would agree, but we are looking at a vapor trail effect. I don't believe in trying to take a divot at a specific point ahead of the golf ball.

Lowpoint stability is critical and that is earned through adhering to good technique, but divots and how they relate to ball flight is a much deeper understanding.... and this comes from experience, intuition and feel.

As one becomes a more masterful striker, one will learn the relationship between how the base or plane line is subtlety rotated based upon one's ability to finesse the ball back to the target (drawing or fading). This is why we see great strikers like Moe and Trevino seemingly set up to the ball in a very carefree manner, take one look at the target and fire with very compelling results. The opposite of the Nicklaus approach of standing over the ball for hours. The best ball strikers don't necessarily look or even feel meticulous.

The divot just gets in the way in the same manner the ball just gets in the way... or not. Is there a ball there or not? One does not need a ball to be present to have the proper intentions to execute a golf swing with purpose.

I can choose not to take a divot and still have a golf swing that is completely mechanically correct.

What Bobby is saying is not generally bad advice, it is just aimed more at trying to get hackers to stop throwing their hands at the ball early in an attempt to square up the clubface. Hit down, then learn to hit through.

I prefer to learn the through part first, then usually the down becomes a vapor trail of good post impact pivot thrust and proper forearm rotation working off the 4:30 line.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby Hope » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:36 am

Great stuff!! Thanks for your analysis and answering my question spot on. This is really top notch stuff. I think one of the hardest things in golf is to not hit at the ball. Clampett appears to have solid teaching diverted from a TGM purist.
Hope

Postby lagpressure » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:04 am

Obviously there are a lot of different methods to teaching a golf swing. Some better than others. My feeling is that most instructors focus on one thing... or a couple key fundamentals. Keep it simple... that sort of thing. But the reality is that the golf swing is very complicated to learn. Too many unanswered questions. Even with TGM I hit a brick wall to where my instructors could not answer my questions.

Golf is no different than many other things. You have to learn certain biomechanical moves and learn to link them together and learn them so well that you would then not know how to unlearn them. Ultimately the golf swing should feel very simple.
When I play, it's feel the shot before I hit it, aim and execute. Playing by yardages only is very limiting. While it is good information to have, it's a much smaller part of playing good golf than people think. When I watched Moe play.. he wasn't stepping off yardages. Hogan didn't use yardages. It's good to know a general yardage, but from there.. it's all feel and intuition.

It's 157 to the pin.. 6 paces over the front bunker 8 from the right edge. But it looks shorter than that. While yardage says 7 iron.. I am going to play an 8 iron. What do I want the ball to do when it hits the green? What is the slope of the green left and right and long of the hole? Is the ball sitting down or up a bit? Is the ball below my feet? above? downhill, uphill, what is the wind doing? Is it gusting a bit or steady? Does the wind feel reliable? Should I play left of the pin and what are the implications of that? How have I been hitting the ball? Am I coming off two birdies in a row? two bogeys? Have I been hitting greens or scrambling all day? What is today's prominent shot shape? Is the air feeling thin or heavy? Is the ground firm or damp? How is my body feeling? What is my general instinct?

You can't learn this stuff out on the driving range. There are other things you can learn on the range.. but not much about playing golf and scoring.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby lagpressure » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:57 pm

1.jpg
1.jpg (69.1 KiB) Viewed 6377 times

Johnny Miller.. from one of his instructional videos that Bomb posted over on his thread.

I think the overhead shots are great because in a way it is visually the most tangible vantage point that we can relate to from our own perspective.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby Mashie72 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:03 pm

Lag,

I'm glad you picked out these photos. I remember one day watching this video over & over. What caught my eye at the time was how Johnny's hands pass on top of his toes on either side of him. Such a tight symmetrical arc and the club head from fully cocked to released when over the left toes
"The secret is on the deck"
Mashie72

Postby LipOut » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:52 am

DP2-e1352599016450.png
DP2-e1352599016450.png (191.86 KiB) Viewed 6231 times
LipOut

Postby lagpressure » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:59 am

Because we look down on what is the plane of the club from P3 to P4, our view is more birdseye and we see the club moving more in a circle than a straight line. It's an illusion in one way, but equally a reality to us visually.
If we lag the club properly and have the ability to do so.. our hands can arrive almost to their lowpoint with the shaft appearing to us to be on the 4:30 line. For this reason, it must be our intention to strike from the 4:30 line. The shaft coming out of the corner of our eye can even appear to be pulled from our right hip pocket.

This can be a daunting concept for new or beginning golfers. The idea the clubhead moving back and forth along the plane line visually, and trying to keep the clubface square to the target line are fools gold.

It should be noted that the flatter your lie angles and the better your forearm rotation the deeper into the 4:30 line you will be.

By deeper, I mean more leaning toward 6:00 than 3:00.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby twomasters » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:25 pm

Lot of provoking thoughts in this video about a lot of principles we use here at ABS

twomasters

PreviousNext

Return to Top Threads (2000 Club)