How to Flatten a Persimmon Driver

Re: How to Flatten a Persimmon Driver

Postby Mashie72 » Wed May 11, 2011 5:14 am

Thanks IOZ....

I'll go ahead and epoxy it up then....The lie and square face after the shim look good to me...

I'm going to stain it with a dark deep color either in the red family or black again so I'm not that concerned about the remaining stain..
"The secret is on the deck"
Mashie72

Postby IronOfZion » Wed May 11, 2011 5:29 am

No problem Mashie72,

One more thing; make sure that after sanding, the top of the insert sits flush with the wood behind it. If it's sticking out (even just a bit), chances are that the forces of impact will put a skymark-like crack in the finish of the club.

Hope this all makes some sense. . . . .

Good luck with the refinish.

IOZ77
The path to enlightenment is paved with good intentions.
IronOfZion

Postby Mashie72 » Wed May 11, 2011 8:14 am

That assumes I can find the center of the clubface :lol:

Thanks a bunch & it does makes sense...
"The secret is on the deck"
Mashie72

Postby Dani » Wed May 11, 2011 2:48 pm

A while back I read that Wood Bros soaked their persimmon in linseed oil to condition the wood and increase the weight.
Just wondering if anyone has ever tried anything like this once the finish was sanded off their persimmon?
Seems like once you get down to the bare old wood it might like some sort of spa treatment before being sealed back up again.

Here is a link to the post on Golfwrx by "freddiec".

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/317 ... -and-more/

Hey, NRG whatever became of that block of wood you got on Ebay??
Dani

Postby BomGolf222 » Fri May 13, 2011 9:52 am

Just wondering if anyone has ever tried anything like this once the finish was sanded off their persimmon?
Seems like once you get down to the bare old wood it might like some sort of spa treatment before being sealed back up again.

Dani, I asked Freddie this very thing a while ago and he said he was going to ask Dave Wood when he got a chance. I haven't heard back from on that yet.
BomGolf222

Postby lagpressure » Fri May 13, 2011 4:03 pm

From what I understand, the old "Oil Hardened" persimmons would be soaked in linseed or similar oil for 6 to 8 months.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby IronOfZion » Fri May 13, 2011 9:57 pm

DaveWoodOilSoakingHeads.jpg
DaveWoodOilSoakingHeads.jpg (81.9 KiB) Viewed 2734 times
The path to enlightenment is paved with good intentions.
IronOfZion

Postby Dani » Sat May 14, 2011 5:28 am

Yummy, they look delicious.
Thanks for the pics very interesting, to me.
I love wood :oops:

OT, but let me explain;
When I was a kid my father owned a lumber yard and custom mill shop. He always smelled like fresh saw dust when he got home, I still love that smell. Anyway, I was an only child and on the weekends he would drag me with him and he (we) would go look at all things wood (like ornate old hand carved bars made from exotic woods or arched garage doors that were formed and stained to perfection). He instilled in me an appreciation for the material and it's beauty.... then he would buy me an ice cream and take me home. Life was good.
Dani

Postby NRG » Wed May 18, 2011 3:13 pm

Hey, NRG whatever became of that block of wood you got on Ebay??

Dani,

I’ve not really done much with that club yet.

I still need to find someone to supply me with 2.5mm thick brass for the soleplate. I found a local company who sells it but the guy wanted £20 for a tiny piece of brass like that, so I told him to stick it. I tried filing down a soleplate from an old club to remove the makers stamp, but that reduced the thickness and weight too much.

I contacted Dave Wood and he kindly offered some advice on the material used for the insert (vulcanized paper fiber). I found a supplier in China who does that stuff, but the minimum order is 300 tonnes.

It might take a while to finish that club.
NRG

Postby lecoeurdevie » Wed May 18, 2011 3:48 pm

There was a SWEET Lot of inserts, screws and asst clubmaking parts, all out of the Macgregor factory that Persimmonpal snapped up last year. I can't remember if there were any blank soleplates but there were a bunch of all the different insert styles. All the original good fiber ones, some with the brass centers too plus the brass screws that nobody makes anymore. He very kindly offered me my pick of the litter at the time, try sending him an email if you do want to finish it up. In the meantime you can start soaking and sanding it down, should be ready before Xmas..
lecoeurdevie

Location: High Sierra, Califormia, U.S.A., Planet Earth. Terran System, Milky Way Galaxy

PreviousNext

Return to Top Threads (2000 Club)