Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/advanced/public_html/forum/common.php on line 106
Advanced Ball Striking • View topic - Lag, lightbulb moments and videotape

Lag, lightbulb moments and videotape

Re: Lag, lightbulb moments and videotape

Postby lagpressure » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:06 pm

Module 7 Student...

I thought I’d give you an update. After doing module three, the belt, and the Hogan lower body drills all winter, I finally had a chance to go to the range Monday, and again yesterday, for the first time since last fall. Big changes.

I’m really feeling keeping my torso from turning back too soon, i.e., preserving torso rotation. The Drill teaching the right heel to the ball of the left foot helps with this a lot. When I do this I'm imagining having my right butt cheek hit the would-be left wall. My right butt-cheek doesn’t actually get there, but trying to do this helps a lot to preserve my hip and torso rotation. Is this a good image to have.

I’m starting to feel the relay baton that you have written about. Something you mentioned to me in passing when I came out to visit you last year stuck with me, and allowed me to feel the module one forearm rotation pass the baton to the module three torso rotation. You had told me (if I’m remembering correctly) that when I fire my forearms, to feel the club head wanting to go out to right field (where I’m standing at home plate and the target is center field) and then pull it back with my torso rotation. Is this what you mean by the orbit pull? I feel like my core is the earth and the club head is the moon. My forearms are shooting the moon straight out towards the right field flag pole, then my torso rotation is pulling it around me. When I concentrate on this, the temptation to swing from the top dissipates, and the module three torso rotation really kicks in. That is, it feels like much more energy is expended after impact rather than before it.

Doing this also made me feel the pressure in my armpits (and in my hands too, though somewhat less so) for the first time during the swing. I was concentrating on feeling this during my module three drilling. Now I’m feeling it in the full swing too, while hitting balls. Not every swing did I feel this; I’m not fully there yet. But during more than half of them I did, maybe 60% to 65%. And on most of those the ball flight was amazing. I’m hitting the ball much lower now, and on some of them (not quite all just yet) the ball rises up very late. I didn’t bring my tripod to video my swing, but I felt like my hands where low, left, and around, with the club head still pointed to the right at P4, and then my arms going up. That is, I think my module three work is paying dividends, and I’m keeping my left shoulder ahead of my hands, and my hands ahead of the club head. But without the fall to the left leg as well as preserving torso rotation (I feel they are related), I don’t think the module three stuff would have kicked in.

I still have much work to do, but I’ve never hit like this before. I was consistently hitting good shots. Even on those shots where I didn’t feel the orbit pull, most of those were not bad. Less than 10% of my shots were bad (as in not serviceable while playing). That’s big for me. On some of those bad ones, I noticed that my torso rotation was not only pulling my hips (which is good, I think) but also pulling my right foot off the ground and my right leg around with it (bad, I think). I think this was due to not grinding enough with my legs and feet, thus losing pressure with the ground.

One last thing. While rereading your post “Suggested Backswing Diagram” in the module seven forum, you mention the “Magic Trick” video.

Thanks so much for all your help over the years. I’m thinking of coming out to visit you again this year!

Thanks again!

Hogan-creating-lag-and-power.jpg
Hogan-creating-lag-and-power.jpg (3.99 KiB) Viewed 635 times
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby NRG » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:35 am

Hope everyone is well..

After a couple of lean years due to work commitments, I didn't expect much from this year. Then once we were allowed back out, I had my 7th hole in one (5th since starting here :) ) Then shot a new PB, 5 under par, bogey free 67 in a Medal. Then I won the Scottish Hickory Championship with a 76 in a howling wind up at Kilspindie. To top it off the new Handicaps have just been released and I am now off +0.1 :D

Thanks so much to John.

1.png
1.png (121.33 KiB) Viewed 339 times

2.png
2.png (849.92 KiB) Viewed 335 times

3.png
3.png (83.81 KiB) Viewed 335 times
NRG

Postby hanisch » Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:15 pm

Congrats!
hanisch

Postby k2baloo » Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:15 pm

Congrats NRG! What's in your bag for competition rounds?
k2baloo

Postby NRG » Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:57 am

Cheers lads..

WITB?

Titleist 910 D3 Driver with Stiff Aldila RIP Shaft
TM Mini Driver with Voodoo XDV8 Shaft
Titleist PT fairway wood with X Steel Shaft
Spalding Bird on the Ball Irons - ABS Spec (MOI matched) with hard stepped S300 shafts
Robert Simpson Blaster SW with punch face from the 1930s
TM Putter
NRG

Previous

Return to Top Threads (2000 Club)