Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/advanced/public_html/forum/common.php on line 106
Advanced Ball Striking • View topic - Lag, lightbulb moments and videotape

Lag, lightbulb moments and videotape

Re: Lag, lightbulb moments and videotape

Postby lagpressure » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:24 pm

Module 6 Student

2 weeks ago I had my best stroke round of 7 over off the stick, it really felt good and I can see how much I have improved and understand more about what I need to do!!

I am seeing some good ball striking at the moment and feel like the power is more effortless now rather than trying to muscle the power..

Module 8 Student

I just can't say enough for how much I have learned through the ABS program. It's a lot of hard work but I just can't deny the results. When I started ABS about two years ago, I was around a 15 handicap. My number dropped to a 5 last month and I can still feel so much room for improvement. I feel I can take a week or two off and come back fairly strong. Understanding the basics of what we are trying to do has been so helpful. Thank you and Bradley so much for helping my game. I might even give persimmon a try this year!

ABS Putting Student

I switched back to chip roller had a streak of 5 one putts in a row. Drained a 45 footer which I hadn’t done in awhile. Anyway, all is starting to feel right in the world of golf again.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby logo » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:08 pm

So encouraging to hear it. I am in Module#7 now and can testify that in ABS you discover the hidden way how to improve your golf swing.
logo

Postby lagpressure » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:52 pm

Module #6 Student:

I’ve been rereading the module five forum and it’s all there! I know I’ve read all these words before, but clearly I haven’t fully absorbed them. It reminds me of what my late uncle, who was a full professor of mathematics, used to say after recommending books to read. He’d talk about the second, third, fourth, (fifth,…) readings. He described it as filling in the dots. After the first reading of a mathematics book, only a few dots will be fill in. With each additional rereading of the same book, more and more dots will be filled in. But, he would add, some time has to pass before each reread, to give the body time to absorb the material. It won’t absorb it all with one reading, and it’ll only absorb a little more with each additional rereading, provided there’s enough time between each one.

Reading this [ http://www.advancedballstriking.com/for ... ?f=9&t=485 ] thread in particular has been very helpful. Like I said above, it’s all there! I think my body is ready to absorb more of it now.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby lagpressure » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:20 pm

Advanced ABS student and PGA Teaching Pro

John,

Very well said!! I agree 100% with your analysis and understand the abs mythology and how it aligns with the great strikers of all time. Thanks and enjoy your teachings and insights, keeps me learning everyday and makes me a better instructor. Thank you!!
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby lagpressure » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:45 pm

ABS student mastering the flattening of the shaft through transition.

dean_slot.gif
dean_slot.gif (985.72 KiB) Viewed 3192 times
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby HB51 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:50 am

Yikes Lag...need to clean up the garage a little :oops:
I appreciate the comment.

Although I have a long way to go, I have concluded that to getting where Lag is directing us requires many things. The two the come to mind most are:
1. ABS is physically demanding. The drills are hard work, being in somewhat decent shape and having flexibility is necessary but not sufficient.
2. I think ABS is harder for someone who was a fairly good ball striker, low handicapper, and had developed a decent move over the past.
Built in DNA is extremely difficult to "unlearn." I watched the video Les put up about Moe and Moe said he couldn't teach it...only to a 9 or 10 year old who wanted it bad enough. This sums it up. It's just so hard to unlearn that muscle memory that has developed over the years...sometimes over 10-40 years, and is ingrained. Think about it. If you start with those crazy moves and pressures at 9 or 10, the road is not as difficult. If you try and get there when you're older and you're action is developed, you've got to do what Moe and Hogan did....hit millions of balls, dig it out of the dirt. There is no easy, or easier way, unless you're 9 or 10.

I was fairly steep and lost all pressure immediately after impact prior to abs. The club would collapse and barely get up to p5. I actually used to teach that NOTHING happened after the ball was hit, and you can basically stop moving and let go of all pressure, ouch!...directly opposite of ABS. I've been at ABS for a couple years, on and off due to injuries.

I will say when it is "clicking" ABS creates an awesome flushing feel and you get a compressed sounding strike. I believe its just going to take more time, more drills, and more commitment, to getting it "clicking" more often that not. Hope the day comes sooner that later. Like Grady, there's a lot of wear on the tires" and I'm getting up there in years...I'm 53.
HB51

Postby LesMurray » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:05 am

HB51 wrote:...
I will say when it is "clicking" ABS creates an awesome flushing feel and you get a compressed sounding strike. I believe its just going to take more time, more drills, and more commitment, to getting it "clicking" more often that not. Hope the day comes sooner that later. Like Grady, there's a lot of wear on the tires" and I'm getting up there in years...I'm 53.

Nothing hitting tens of thousand of balls doing Mod 8 drill won't fix. :D
LesMurray

Postby stevemcgee99 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:17 pm

Brains of people over 65, up to 91, can change and this has been demonstrated in clinical trials.

In other words you can teach an old dog new tricks. Repetition is a key component.
McGee
stevemcgee99

Postby lagpressure » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:54 am

But on that 91rst birthday.. forget it!
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby lagpressure » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:59 am

Advanced ABS Student and after visiting The Deck:

I started by spending time every day working on the backswing ( pushing away at 45 degrees and then the rotation of the left arm so the back of hand is going at sky). It was unnatural for me based
on my past swing so I started their along with the new grip. After doing it religiously I now feel like I am throwing a bag of rice over my right shoulder. I also now understand the importance of the angle between left forearm and the hand at address and how that sets up the position where it would be more firm if you were to test the grip as you did that day. You may recall how you lifted it up and it should have some subtle tension. It also sets me up nicely for taking the club away and still having that wrist angle at the top.

It is starting to feel natural so I am hitting more balls and playing. So far my length and shape is really changing. I have never experienced this type of change and the ball is making more noise now. I am hitting it noticeably longer and I am hitting my irons higher as well. I'm excited about it and now need to hit a lot more balls and get more focus on getting into the left side. I haven't spent any time drilling that as I have been determined to get the backswing first.

Thanks for following up. I will send a couple videos this week. I will also post some things on the website/forum this week.

I really appreciate your help and feel fortunate to be able to work with you.
I am excited to put in the time and truly learn this.

I don't know if you realize how advanced you are with your teaching.
lagpressure
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Top Threads (2000 Club)