Swing around my waist from behind

Swing around my waist from behind

Postby stevemcgee99 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:26 pm

I had the best drive of my life today. I did some things I've learned before, and probably better than other times. Or I was able to combine a few things.

One of those was Mod 1 firing. I think that was one major key. There were a couple other shots that flew further and straighter than normal when I delayed firing.

But I think the main unique 'feel' of the drive was like I was swinging the club around at waist level. Very flat. Haven't felt that before.

I started with pulling my arms in close, doing what I call 'drop the elbows' at address. I can't remember but I think my stance might have been a little open. (I'd experimented with closing it a little recently).

My intention was to swing slow and steady and to not worry about the distance, but just focus on form 基本 But what happened was I think my contact speed was about as fast as ever. Felt slow, was trying to 'take it easy', but fired it really fast.

Ball flight was a fade, probably in the air it went 10 yards right, on the ground another 5 yards. It was kind of far and kind of dark so harder to see exactly. Really low flight, which I'd been trying to do all day (windy windy windy at Sharp Park on the beach).

When I walked out to the ball I passed by the trees where all the slices go and picked up a couple of strays. Then I continued toward my ball. Almost didn't find it, and was ready to turn around and look back behind me but then I noticed it another 30 yards or so ahead. I wish I had paced it out because it probably went as far as my longest or more. More importantly it was in a perfect spot on the fairway.

Interestingly, I hit the 2 wood next. Similar feel, but this time the ball went totally straight, but left. That's happened before.
No fade at all so it hit the fence and rolled back under a tree. I blame my stance for that one - I must have been aimed too much to the left.

Anyway, I wrote this to add support to the comments I've read about 'swinging around from behind'. It was a little weird but man the results were something I'd like to have every time!
McGee
stevemcgee99

Re: Swing around my waist from behind

Postby lagpressure » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:20 pm

If you combine swinging flat with proper forearm rotation, then it's hard to swing too flat. When you get the club properly behind you, one doesn't have much choice but to engage the torso correctly. The arms are not in a position of accessible immediate leverage... which is a good thing. Mickey Wright once said "you can't swing too flat'. I agree as long as you are still slotting the club.

It really can feel like you are swinging the club around your belt when you first try it out. If you video from DTL, you'll realize you are not nearly as flat as you feel you are.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby stevemcgee99 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:56 pm

Yesterday at Gleneagles (SF) I had great shots, and velly bad straight left or straight right shots - I'm assuming it's a problem with forearm rotation. If you remember I didn't have ANY rotation at all when I bought your clubs.

I'm easing myself into Mod 1 - some wrist pain from a very old injury. I'd doing kind of slow swings, more like stretching. But I think I'm ready to fire at the bag soon. Like this weekend.
McGee
stevemcgee99

Postby Ded2Journey » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:11 am

lagpressure wrote:If you combine swinging flat with proper forearm rotation, then it's hard to swing too flat. When you get the club properly behind you, one doesn't have much choice but to engage the torso correctly. The arms are not in a position of accessible immediate leverage... which is a good thing. Mickey Wright once said "you can't swing too flat'. I agree as long as you are still slotting the club.

It really can feel like you are swinging the club around your belt when you first try it out. If you video from DTL, you'll realize you are not nearly as flat as you feel you are.

Although I agree with most of this, you still need wrist cock to hit down on the ball. Swinging flat without wrist cock leads to a lot of thin iron shots. However, with the woods, It is an amazingly powerful feeling.
"People have always been telling me what I can't do. I guess I have wanted to show them. That's been one of my driving forces all my life." -Ben Hogan
Ded2Journey

Postby lagpressure » Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:02 am

Proper forearm rotation would include cocking the wrists.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby fontaine32 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:09 am

This is a feeling that I use, I tell myself swing below the belt.. No more lifting the club up, across the line or the right elbow flying.. I can't slot from an upright swing like others..

Imageimage hosting without registration

Imageuploading pictures
fontaine32

Return to Public Forum- Concepts in Advanced Ball Striking