Wind play

Re: Wind play

Postby Richie3Jack » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:06 am

Some of my thoughts:

1. Get your short game ready. If it's really windy it becomes tougher to hit shots close and to find GIR. Probably best to have a sharp short game and to get the ball close to the green in 2 on par-5's to score well.

2. Clubface control and sweetspot contact are now more important. You start to hit those really wild shots when you make more error with your clubface control or mis-hit the shot.

3. Wind play is a lot about 1/2 shots. You'll have to take a 1/2 punch into the wind or take a 1/2 club with the tail wind.

4. Generally the tail wind doesn't help you nearly as much as going into the wind helps you. Particularly with shorter clubs. You may have a 2 club wind going into it, but then when you get the tailwind you may only get 5 extra yards because the wind is knocking the ball down.

5. Cross winds you have to be careful because generally you'll be hitting into the wind a tad. You have to take note of the direction you are going in and the direction that cross wind is going. Cross winds can be tricky because sometimes you can angle your shot a 10* one way and be into the win and then 10* another way and be with the wind.

6. When it's breezy, swing easy.

3JACK
Richie3Jack

Postby lagpressure » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:14 am

One of the strengths of my game has been wind play. Not by coincidence growing up on a seaside golf course. The first three holes would head straight into the wind. The next two turned right leaving left to right winds. Two came back the other way,
and two down wind on the front nine. The back nine swept side to side, then three holes into the wind off downhill lies, then a sideways left to right wind, then three coming in downwind but played off uphill lies.

I just can't speak enough for how valuable this was to my development as a shotmaker.

I always felt I could play better with a bit of wind.. 10 to 15 mph allows me to shape the ball into something (the wind) and it could usually help me get the ball close to the hole. When winds get 30 to 40 mph it's of course much more difficult.. but like keeping the swing aggressive with some wind. I feel like I can really rip at it hitting downwind with the driver, rip it into the wind playing a driver off the ground, the ride the wind into the greens if you can work it into the pin, or hold it against the wind if you need to come in with a higher trajectory.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby Skinnybuddah » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:30 pm

I'm currently playing my golf on an almost links style course, high up at the foot of a wind farm and really understand ritchies point about bringing your shortgame. Its no coincidence that when I play more tree lined parkland style courses, even with considerably smaller greens I still manage more gir. I now thoroughly enjoy wind golf now though!
Skinnybuddah

Postby NRG » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:08 am

My biggest problem with the wind is a strong headwind from left to right, especially with a driver. I struggle to try to hit a draw into a left to right wind (just can't visualize it) and hitting a fade in that wind can have the ball literally going sideways at the end of its flight if it baloons up. I have always tried to play upwind and allow it to drift back which I now think is a big mistake.
NRG

Postby jfischer13 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:13 am

I got out for a quick 18 yesterday. Round started out with just a touch of wind and by hole number 4 i had a 30 mph cross wind. Being in the central valley of california now, that wind was just kicking up all kinds of dust from the plowed fields next to the course. It was like playing in a sand storm. That 30 mph cross wind turned into a cross to helping wind on the par five 6th where i hit a my persimmon 2 wood. A 330 yd drawing drive down the middle of the fairway left me a me a 3 iron in. 3 iron ended up at 15 feet and i rolled it down the slope and in for eagle.

That same wind helped me out on the back nine when I hit a holding 7 iron to 12 feet and holed it for birdie!

Sometimes wind is a good thing! :D
Joshua Fischer
Osteopathic Golf
Osteopathicgolf.com
Instagram @osteopathicgolf
jfischer13

Postby NRG » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:44 am

Does anyone switch the ball to a low spin ball when its windy? Is this a good idea? Is there a good low spin wind ball?
NRG

Postby tsdean1980 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:23 am

NRG wrote:Does anyone switch the ball to a low spin ball when its windy? Is this a good idea? Is there a good low spin wind ball?

I tried this once, but switching to a low spin ball ruins your short game and really limits the type of pitches and chips you can hit. The really low wedge into a green will now run off the back and no more checking chip shots if you miss the green.

The secret to hitting the driver into a wind for me is to swing alot slower. Nothing above 70-80%. This takes a ton of spin off the ball and rides it into the wind much further and straighter.Also the slower swing also encourages the club head to release a bit more putting a tad more draw spin on the ball which helps.
tsdean1980

E=MV2

Postby NRG » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:02 pm

a wind of 20 mph is gentle but a wind of 200 mph is catastrophic. It's a lot more than 10 times as powerful, for it carries 10squared or 100 times more energy
David Bodanis
NRG

Postby Mashie72 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:46 pm

That makes a lot of sense to me. I'll never forget the wind intensity on my first trip to Ireland standing atop the Cliffs of Moher. The next day I was scheduled to play LaHinch. There wasn't a sole on the course due to the excessive wind. They were open remarking having winter like weather in July. So I passed on playing that day even though every bone in my body told me to peg it.
"The secret is on the deck"
Mashie72

Postby stevemcgee99 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:50 pm

I've been lifted in the air by wind. Not on a golf course, but... Sure is fun / frustrating to play in wind though.

I just need to be able to draw or hook...
McGee
stevemcgee99

PreviousNext

Return to Public Forum- Concepts in Advanced Ball Striking