Where on the face are you hitting the ball?

Where on the face are you hitting the ball?

Postby norcalvol » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:21 pm

Recently, I hit several balls with short, mid and long irons with impact tape on the face.
What I found really surprised me --- I hit 90% of shots in the toe half of the club face.

It was Mod 4 that really drove home the idea of making sure that I come into the strike with a heel-heavy feeling so that I could be able to bring the hands in and around to the left ("cutting it to the left")... and perhaps now this was becoming ingrained into my swing to the point that instead of hitting the ball in the middle of the club where I was addressing the ball, I was hitting it in the toe half because I was now starting to get the hands closer at impact.

So after the impact tape experiment... I thought about this for awhile and convinced myself to have the courage to address the ball where the shaft/hosel contact point on the club is at the ball instead the center of the club as I have done routinely over the past couple of years. Courage? Yes... that is just asking for a shank. But, if I just simply have the thought of doing what Mod 4 taught me (bring the hands in closer through the stike and cut them around to the left) I would be ok.

Strikes instantly became purely flushed... one right after the other... and 5-to-10 yards further as well with terrific ball flight and consistent direction at the target.

This held true in the long and mid irons... much more dicey with the short irons. Clubs are standard blades (Mizuno MP-33).

Anybody else have this experience?

Not sure exactly what is going on --- will have to do some video to break it down a bit... but quite the interesting experiment.

And, oh by the way --- I also applied impact tape to the sole of my 5-iron and hit a few using an impact board (plexiglass) --- impact was consistently right in the middle of the sole... the lie angle of my 5-iron is 55 degrees (which is the ABS spec for a 5-iron of the same length as mine). So satisfied to see the result of that. Lie angles: check!
Accelerate forever!
norcalvol

Re: Where on the face are you hitting the ball?

Postby Mashie72 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:21 am

Glad to hear about your flushed strikes! The neat thing about ABS to me is that it is machine-like..If everything has the proper intensions and set-up in the right place, the move can repeat time and time again.

If I keep my knee flex and have a high right shoulder through the strike it's very hard for me to hit it off the toe. Everyone is different though.

Also as far as dynamic lie testing..My must rules are; 1) hit a real ball, 2) be standing on the exact height/level of the lie board and 3) know that you are dead level to begin with, and 4) need to have at least 4 consistent samples with each club. Otherwise I think the conclusions are pretty much useless.
"The secret is on the deck"
Mashie72

Postby LesMurray » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:15 am

That is how I know I am loosing control of the right arm. If I am slicing or shanking, then I know I am straightening the right arm too much and standing up the club. When I am at the range, the balls actually leave marks on the club that I can see so I can tell if I am getting too far out on the toe or on the hosel.

Great work. Keep up the efforts.
LesMurray

Postby lagpressure » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:53 pm

flush.jpg
flush.jpg (87.93 KiB) Viewed 4423 times

My 7 iron after 7 years on tour with the same set. (1987 - 1993)
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby yonkmania » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:28 am

lagpressure wrote:
flush.jpg

My 7 iron after 7 years on tour with the same set. (1987 - 1993)

PURE!!!
yonkmania

Postby Range Rat » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:47 am

Still chuckling about this one.

Was watching this guy hitting his frying pan all over the place, he turns to me and says "I've had this driver a long time and the sweet spot is still brand-new" :lol:
You're ahead of where you were, and behind where you're going.
Range Rat

Postby k2baloo » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:52 am

^hahaha :lol:

I love that
k2baloo

Postby Ded2Journey » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:17 pm

"People have always been telling me what I can't do. I guess I have wanted to show them. That's been one of my driving forces all my life." -Ben Hogan
Ded2Journey

Return to Public Forum- Concepts in Advanced Ball Striking