The true impact of the modern ball...

The true impact of the modern ball...

Postby Ded2Journey » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:19 am

I've spent the entire winter hitting every golf ball/golf club combination I can get my hands on and think of. I chip, I putt, I hit into nets and I use them on the GC2 simulators. I've hit vintage blades with vintage balls and modern cavity backs with modern balls. I've hit balatas with vintage and modern putters, as well as 2016 bouncy polymers. I've banged persimmons with pinnacles and Titleist professional 100's with the 1000CC frying pans. I've learned so much that I thought it would be a great idea to share it. I'm sure I'll learn more...

We discuss feel so often on this website, I figured it would be best to begin there. So, my only question is--where has all the feel gone? Does anyone wonder why putters come standard with some form of an insert now? Anyone wonder why vintage putters feel like crap when you hit a modern ball in the sweet spot? Seems like non forged clubs are made with space age cast iron because they feel like crap too. Even when you stripe a modern titleist Prov1 now, you don't get a sense of compression--IMHO.

The sensitive hands have all the answers, but we're asking the wrong questions. That connection with the golf club seems to always be looking for wondrous feels and buttery impact. They want compression, gather, and slinging of the golf ball--not Air. They don't want to feel nothing, THEY WANT FEEDBACK! When are the scientists going to wake up?

Time to go find some balatas that I can play...you can hit a persimmon 300+ too, right?
"People have always been telling me what I can't do. I guess I have wanted to show them. That's been one of my driving forces all my life." -Ben Hogan
Ded2Journey

Re: The true impact of the modern ball...

Postby LesMurray » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:21 am

Ded2Journey wrote:I've spent the entire winter hitting every golf ball/golf club combination I can get my hands on and think of. I chip, I putt, I hit into nets and I use them on the GC2 simulators. I've hit vintage blades with vintage balls and modern cavity backs with modern balls. I've hit balatas with vintage and modern putters, as well as 2016 bouncy polymers. I've banged persimmons with pinnacles and Titleist professional 100's with the 1000CC frying pans. I've learned so much that I thought it would be a great idea to share it. I'm sure I'll learn more...

We discuss feel so often on this website, I figured it would be best to begin there. So, my only question is--where has all the feel gone? Does anyone wonder why putters come standard with some form of an insert now? Anyone wonder why vintage putters feel like crap when you hit a modern ball in the sweet spot? Seems like non forged clubs are made with space age cast iron because they feel like crap too. Even when you stripe a modern titleist Prov1 now, you don't get a sense of compression--IMHO.

The sensitive hands have all the answers, but we're asking the wrong questions. That connection with the golf club seems to always be looking for wondrous feels and buttery impact. They want compression, gather, and slinging of the golf ball--not Air. They don't want to feel nothing, THEY WANT FEEDBACK! When are the scientists going to wake up?

Time to go find some balatas that I can play...you can hit a persimmon 300+ too, right?

What I would like is just some basic feedback on how different balls work given a person's setup. Like for example, I use either '60s Macs or 70's Wilson Staffs for my gamers. I am finding that, for me, the Titleist ProV1 and the Calloway SuperSoft balls work pretty well and give me decent spin and feel. The worst are the Nike, Pinnacle, and most distance balls. The jury is still out for me on the TaylorMade ball. I just started using the Wilson Staff Duo Spin but so far am not impressed.

As you mention, on of the keys is feel on putting and chip shots. I hate that hard, plastic feel I get with the distance balls. That's where I like the ProV1 and the Calloway. Most others feel almost dead on impact and it is hard to get a good feeling contact. With my full shots, I am more into feeling the compression in the shaft than the ball-club impact feeling. But at the range I do get those odd balls that just feel dead with no feel of response to compression.

What balls do others use that give them decent feedback and spin?
LesMurray

Postby NRG » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:35 am

I cant stand pro V 1s, it feels like they jump off the face of a blade and are very hard to work.

I've played Wilson DX2 softs, nice and squashable and very easy to move around. Then I switched to Srixon AD333 Tours, almost as workable as the DX2s but you get about 10 - 15 yards more distance off the tee than the DX2s.
NRG

Postby Stu Carlburger » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:55 pm

My personal preference for all around performance (tee, iron, short game, and putting) is the Srixon Z Star XV. For me, it is vastly surperior around the greens as compared to the ProV1 and especially the ProV1x.

In terms of the original (more general) discussion, IMO, the "scientists" who have taken control of the game strive for "forgiveness" above all else as if it were the all that matters. Maybe, like drug pushes (both illegal and legal) they've found the magic formula: with every innovation in forgiveness, the user ever more reliant upon said forgiveness. To wit, I have friends who are excellent players, who grew up playing blades, but now they claim they're "no good enough" even a mid-range semi-players iron -- they claim they need full on game improvement shovels.

Ironic name, huh? Game improvement? More like "Slow Game Degeneration" irons. Maybe these scientists are genuises. Maybe they've for a way to make everyone need their "easier to hit" products because everyone's skill has degenerated so far. N
Stu Carlburger

Postby LesMurray » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:40 pm

Stu Carlburger wrote:My personal preference for all around performance (tee, iron, short game, and putting) is the Srixon Z Star XV. For me, it is vastly surperior around the greens as compared to the ProV1 and especially the ProV1x.

In terms of the original (more general) discussion, IMO, the "scientists" who have taken control of the game strive for "forgiveness" above all else as if it were the all that matters. Maybe, like drug pushes (both illegal and legal) they've found the magic formula: with every innovation in forgiveness, the user ever more reliant upon said forgiveness. To wit, I have friends who are excellent players, who grew up playing blades, but now they claim they're "no good enough" even a mid-range semi-players iron -- they claim they need full on game improvement shovels.

Ironic name, huh? Game improvement? More like "Slow Game Degeneration" irons. Maybe these scientists are genuises. Maybe they've for a way to make everyone need their "easier to hit" products because everyone's skill has degenerated so far. N

I've forgotten about the Srixon ball - I have found decent results with that one. I'll look to play that more often.
LesMurray

Postby Ded2Journey » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:46 am

I remember playing the Nike One Black in the early 2000's. It had ridiculous spin rates and was just butter on/around the green. Sometimes I wondered if there was microscopic velcro on the cover because it stuck on 5 yard chips out of deep rough! Problem is I cannot find them in a trustworthy place.

So far the list is:

1. SRIXON Z Star XV
2. Srixon 333AD
3. Titleist Prov1
4. Wilson DX2's (Can these be played with higher swing speeds?)
5. Nike One Black

Any other additions? Any devil's advocates to the "feel" theory?
"People have always been telling me what I can't do. I guess I have wanted to show them. That's been one of my driving forces all my life." -Ben Hogan
Ded2Journey

Postby stevemcgee99 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:50 pm

The last time I played a Pro V1 it seemed to launch off my driver pretty far. Startling.

I like the Duo (not the spin, just normal). I found an Elite 51 and that was pretty great, too.
Callaway supersoft, chrome soft, Bridgestone B333??-S and E6 are all good.
Basically, any soft ball.
McGee
stevemcgee99

Postby Ded2Journey » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:52 am

stevemcgee99 wrote:The last time I played a Pro V1 it seemed to launch off my driver pretty far. Startling.

I like the Duo (not the spin, just normal). I found an Elite 51 and that was pretty great, too.
Callaway supersoft, chrome soft, Bridgestone B333??-S and E6 are all good.
Basically, any soft ball.

I don't think it's only about softness though. There is an element of compression that I'm looking for, but it's difficult to explain. It feels like you are capturing the ball (trapping it). It's not the same with the modern balls as it was with the older stuff. However, they definitely don't fly as far. I just wish there was a happy medium, tons of feel with decent distance.
Ded2Journey

Postby stevemcgee99 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:18 pm

The Duo and Elite 51 feel like they squish onto the club and ride for a while.

I can't remember if the others feel that way specifically, but I've been buying the Duo ball because I like how it sticks to the club.
McGee
stevemcgee99

Postby Wknhacker » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:39 pm

Last year I found a Taylormade Tour Preferred in the bushes in very good shape. It came off my persimmon driver beautifully. I picked up a dozen later and have been playing that ball since. I find it plays well off both my classic and modern gear.

For some reason the golf stores here in Toronto are selling last years model dirt cheap so I've been stocking up like crazy.
"I have a tip that can take five strokes off anyone's golf game: it's called an eraser." - Arnold Palmer
Wknhacker

Next

Return to Public Forum- Concepts in Advanced Ball Striking