Post impact acceleration

Post impact acceleration

Postby Knightwriter » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:43 am

I find the concept of the speed being way after impact very helpful.

I'm working on mod 1 and 2.

The intention that the speed is way after impact is the glue that holds things together for me while I work the other changes into my action. It is helping maintain good contact.

But I'm finding that when I need to hit one easy I don't know what to do and the contact isn't as good.

Any ideas?
Knightwriter

Re: Post impact acceleration

Postby NRG » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:11 am

Try a shorter backswing.
NRG

Postby LesMurray » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:24 am

I have struggled with speed too soon for my whole golfing life. Only now after 2 years in ABS am I really beginning to understand post-impact acceleration and the late hit.

In Mod 1 and 2 if you can just get the concept of the late hit down you will be well on your way. For me, the feeling is that the club head is the last thing to arrive at the ball. By that I mean that my hands have to feel like they've already gone past the ball and then I fire my Mod 1 to bring the club head to the ball. I find the key to making this work properly is that I have to feel like I am not applying any speed to the club until after the strike. Otherwise it becomes a stall and a slap for me and I'll either push it out to right field or sling it across my body for a hook.

The first time you do this it will feel like magic. When I stripe one it feels like I just fell into the shot and the ball rockets off the face and straight for the target. The 4:30 line is the key.
LesMurray

Postby k2baloo » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:53 am

As far as problems when you need to hit partial shots - experiment with shorter swings and choking up a little bit on the grip.
k2baloo

Postby norcalvol » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:45 pm

Agree with K2 that the shorter swing is the way to go instead of say a full swing with less speed.
With regard to choking down on the club, that takes some practice because choking down alters the effective swingweight of the club and therefore, the club feels different (feels lighter). This is why Trevino said he never choked down on a club... just a thought to consider.
Accelerate forever!
norcalvol

Postby k2baloo » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:26 pm

Interesting point - I guess choking down a bit may not work for everyone. I like hitting shots like that, but I could see the changes in club feel throwing people off.
k2baloo

Postby Knightwriter » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:17 am

LesMurray wrote:I have struggled with speed too soon for my whole golfing life. Only now after 2 years in ABS am I really beginning to understand post-impact acceleration and the late hit.

In Mod 1 and 2 if you can just get the concept of the late hit down you will be well on your way. For me, the feeling is that the club head is the last thing to arrive at the ball. By that I mean that my hands have to feel like they've already gone past the ball and then I fire my Mod 1 to bring the club head to the ball. I find the key to making this work properly is that I have to feel like I am not applying any speed to the club until after the strike. Otherwise it becomes a stall and a slap for me and I'll either push it out to right field or sling it across my body for a hook.

The first time you do this it will feel like magic. When I stripe one it feels like I just fell into the shot and the ball rockets off the face and straight for the target. The 4:30 line is the key.

I'm still figuring the feels out, but when I have the intention that the speed is way after impact I get what I'd imagine is huge lag, amazing strikes and a good 20 yards extra off the tee. I can also feel the graphite shaft in the long clubs 'kick' through the impact zone. I think that's the late hit.

I'll have a go at what you are saying here as well. Thanks.

I'll try shorter swings when I want to take some yardage off. Thanks fellas.
Knightwriter

Postby LesMurray » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:25 am

Knightwriter wrote:
I'm still figuring the feels out, but when I have the intention that the speed is way after impact I get what I'd imagine is huge lag, amazing strikes and a good 20 yards extra off the tee. I can also feel the graphite shaft in the long clubs 'kick' through the impact zone. I think that's the late hit.

Ideally, you shouldn't feel the kick until after impact. If you feel it during or before the strike then you have stopped accelerating. Now, as you are just in Mod 1 and 2 this is expected as you haven't begun to work on the pivot. Keep working on that feeling of speed after the strike.
LesMurray

Postby Range Rat » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:39 am

Bradley talked some about this video being a good one. I don't remember if Two originally posted it or not, but it's a nice take on what's proper from one half of Couples-n-Love. :)
You're ahead of where you were, and behind where you're going.
Range Rat

Postby LesMurray » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:58 am

Range Rat wrote:Bradley talked some about this video being a good one. I don't remember if Two originally posted it or not, but it's a nice take on what's proper from one half of Couples-n-Love. :)

Love that line - "when I get to here (impact zone) I go at it with everything I have."
LesMurray

Next

Return to Public Forum- Concepts in Advanced Ball Striking