Post impact acceleration

Re: Post impact acceleration

Postby HelterSkelter » Wed May 25, 2016 6:43 am

OK. So maybe you have the arms pinned too much and the whole motion stops when the hips reach the end of their range.

When the hips run out of range the shoulders should still keep turning as far as possible. The momentum of the arms and club will want to pull the arms off the body, and you can help them with a late upward thrust of the arms. It's done to keep pressure on the shaft as late as possible.

A couple of other possibilities may be that you keep the right foot down and that restricts the finish or you do the drill too slowly to feel the momentum of the arms and club that want to fly up when the hips run out of range.
HelterSkelter

Postby Ded2Journey » Wed May 25, 2016 5:19 pm

I found the 1 arm stuff only works with a somewhat quiet feeling lower body. I think strength helps, but technique can get the job done for sure. You still pivot, but it feels quiet. Nfbandon was a big advocate of this a few years back, maybe he can shed some light. Hope this helps...
"People have always been telling me what I can't do. I guess I have wanted to show them. That's been one of my driving forces all my life." -Ben Hogan
Ded2Journey

Postby Tupac » Sat May 28, 2016 5:41 am

HelterSkelter wrote:OK. So maybe you have the arms pinned too much and the whole motion stops when the hips reach the end of their range.

When the hips run out of range the shoulders should still keep turning as far as possible. The momentum of the arms and club will want to pull the arms off the body, and you can help them with a late upward thrust of the arms. It's done to keep pressure on the shaft as late as possible.

A couple of other possibilities may be that you keep the right foot down and that restricts the finish or you do the drill too slowly to feel the momentum of the arms and club that want to fly up when the hips run out of range.

isnt the hips, shoulders and core all pivoting together in sequence?
Tupac

Postby Tupac » Sat May 28, 2016 5:46 am

if they in sinc , how do the hips max out or out turn the shoulders, or does the lower part lead and the rest follows
Tupac

Postby HelterSkelter » Sat May 28, 2016 10:57 am

Yes the hips are leading slightly and the lower body supporting.

You should feel the initial move in the chi area (lower abs) and left lower side/back, so those areas will be slightly ahead of the shoulders.

The shoulders will be a hair behind and they also have more range so they can keep going later and further.

If the sequencing is right you get a bit of a late whip of the shoulders.
HelterSkelter

Postby Range Rat » Sat May 28, 2016 11:47 am

About 5 minutes in, this video may help with the topic/application here. :)

You're ahead of where you were, and behind where you're going.
Range Rat

Postby lagpressure » Sat May 28, 2016 5:04 pm

Tupac wrote:if they in sinc , how do the hips max out or out turn the shoulders, or does the lower part lead and the rest follows

This is an excellent question and one that can be very misunderstood.

While the lower body needs to start or initiate transition.... it doesn't really need to lead the whole way.
If you think of the left hip, it can be pulled through post impact by either a straightening of the left knee.... Or it can be pulled
by the rotation of the torso if the left knee takes a more stabilizing role.

There are advantages to the later... which I have grown to prefer.

One important factor that is overlooked is the flattening out of lowpoint. This was a big factor in Moe's bacon strip divots. Compression is also more linear and that slight difference does make a difference over time. Most of golf's great strikers had a very stable left knee through the strike.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby Steve P » Sat May 28, 2016 6:56 pm

According to 5 Lessons (you now Hogans book) the hips lead the shoulders around. Shoulders leading hips would be wrong according to Hogan.
Steve P

Postby lagpressure » Sat May 28, 2016 9:16 pm

Steve P wrote:According to 5 Lessons (you now Hogans book) the hips lead the shoulders around. Shoulders leading hips would be wrong according to Hogan.

Hogan didn't write the book though.
Herbert Warren Wind actually wrote it.
Hogan was recorded, talking about feelings etc.
Barkow knew Herbert well and said this is how it went down... and is why the book seems confusing at times.

If the hips truly led the way all the way through, they would spin out and the right foot would come up very early.
Hogan was big on initiating with the lower body, knees and hips, that is correct. They can't continue at that pace.

You can't open the hips left very well without straightening the left knee. Creating resistance in the left knee is a better way to do it than locking it up early.
Moe had great torso rotation swinging into a flexed and stable left knee. Like Knudson he worked the left knee down the line (weight transfer) without locking it up. Hogan's straightening came very late.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby Tupac » Sun May 29, 2016 12:28 am

So with all that said, if you doing drill 3 correct are the arms active bearing in mind that "...the arms come along for the ride..."

This to me suggests the pivot (legs, stomach, chest) move the arms through the motion.

Would that be correct as opposed to your right hand "slapping" towards your left side?
Tupac

PreviousNext

Return to Public Forum- Concepts in Advanced Ball Striking