Post impact acceleration

Re: Post impact acceleration

Postby stevemcgee99 » Tue May 31, 2016 7:09 am

Yeah, it's kind of interesting how there is this school of thought where you can relax and swing the club just right. Like the perfectly parallel or on-line putt technique. That just seems way too hard.
McGee
stevemcgee99

Postby Stu Carlburger » Tue May 31, 2016 12:47 pm

I talked to a guy at a BBQ this weekend about the golf swing as he said he's a player. He said he like to swing with "no tension ... With hands super soft and barely holding onto the clubs ... So I get total freedom ..."

I asked him how he could barely hold on to something and swing it at 100 mph? He said something about how any tension restricts speed, and he wants as much speed as possible. I politely told him that if you grip it too lightly that the hands will instinctively grip tighter during the swing to keep from completely letting go of the club. I had him hold out his hand and I gripped it with the firmness I grip the club with, and he was shocked. He asked how I could maintain free movement of the club with that grip. To which I replied that one of the main skills a golfer must master to excel, IMO, is the firm fingers that are in complete and total control of the club, but that a) maintain oily wrists and arms/shoulders; and, b) positioned such that hands can stay in control (without slipping) when subjected to the intense forces of first a complete and deep wrist set, then the compression into the transition, then during and through the strike.

He said, "wow, you've really given this a lot of thought ..."

I laughed and said, "you have no idea!"
Stu Carlburger

Postby Ded2Journey » Tue May 31, 2016 3:47 pm

Stu Carlburger wrote:I talked to a guy at a BBQ this weekend about the golf swing as he said he's a player. He said he like to swing with "no tension ... With hands super soft and barely holding onto the clubs ... So I get total freedom ..."

I asked him how he could barely hold on to something and swing it at 100 mph? He said something about how any tension restricts speed, and he wants as much speed as possible. I politely told him that if you grip it too lightly that the hands will instinctively grip tighter during the swing to keep from completely letting go of the club. I had him hold out his hand and I gripped it with the firmness I grip the club with, and he was shocked. He asked how I could maintain free movement of the club with that grip. To which I replied that one of the main skills a golfer must master to excel, IMO, is the firm fingers that are in complete and total control of the club, but that a) maintain oily wrists and arms/shoulders; and, b) positioned such that hands can stay in control (without slipping) when subjected to the intense forces of first a complete and deep wrist set, then the compression into the transition, then during and through the strike.

Cheers to the wonderful teaching here on ABS, and the progression of TRUE ball striking technique regardless of the modern game. Those of us who have felt this...know. It's like Brad always says, your grip only tightens under pressure. Might as well keep it that way--my version of his words anyway.
"People have always been telling me what I can't do. I guess I have wanted to show them. That's been one of my driving forces all my life." -Ben Hogan
Ded2Journey

Postby Mystery man » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:42 pm

I think one area that needs to be altered per student is the pivot.ABS says save the pivot,I personally think others would do better pivoting early. I agree with the rest of it , but the late pivot is no bueno for many. But it is easier to fix someone who slots and is stuck versus an super steep ott player. So if you look at it from that point of view the late pivot is ideal
One in the oven
Mystery man

Postby Tupac » Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:31 pm

i am interested in others thoughts but the drill 3 i am doing currently with Bradley Hughes, i found that the post impact is a combined effort of body pivot and arms togrther working the club through the follow through and the hands (arms) launching the club upwards.

There is no "...arms come along for the ride..."

thoughts?
Tupac

Postby HelterSkelter » Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:10 am

I did re-read and watch all the drill 3 stuff and Bradley does refer to the 'arms coming along for the ride'

I think what he means is the first half of the drill and not the second half.

For the first part the arm-pit pressure keeps the arms at the sides as the torso turns, but then the second part is the 'rocket launch' where the arms fly up.

Don't confuse the 'arms coming along for the ride' as not using the muscles though. The muscles are activated both to pack the arms in and hold onto the club.
HelterSkelter

Postby lagpressure » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:02 am

Mystery man wrote:I think one area that needs to be altered per student is the pivot.ABS says save the pivot,I personally think others would do better pivoting early. I agree with the rest of it , but the late pivot is no bueno for many. But it is easier to fix someone who slots and is stuck versus an super steep ott player. So if you look at it from that point of view the late pivot is ideal

This is an ADVANCED BALL STRIKING site.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby gir » Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:07 pm

Stu Carlburger wrote:

Lol yea I think that's an understatement for a lot of us here.
gir

Postby Mystery man » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:08 am

lagpressure wrote:
Mystery man wrote:I think one area that needs to be altered per student is the pivot.ABS says save the pivot,I personally think others would do better pivoting early. I agree with the rest of it , but the late pivot is no bueno for many. But it is easier to fix someone who slots and is stuck versus an super steep ott player. So if you look at it from that point of view the late pivot is ideal

This is an ADVANCED BALL STRIKING site.

Opposing forces I agree with.But holding off the pivot I tend to question it.For some I believe it is the correct procedure others may need to open sooner.How can you explain Sam Snead being so open at impact?I can't see anyone would have fast enough hips to copy him if they held it off until late.Everything else is actually great info and great drills.
One in the oven
Mystery man

Postby LesMurray » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:57 am

I've been working a couple of drills, besides Mod 3 drills, at the range to help me with PIA. One is using the power board with a 6 or 7 iron hitting 3/4 shots. Very much like Brad is doing in his Swing Operation video #2.

Another that I do is I hit balls with my feet together. Not full shots but it helps me get the feeling of loading into the feet as I rotate and again PIA to move the ball with force.

LesMurray

PreviousNext

Return to Public Forum- Concepts in Advanced Ball Striking