Lanny Watkins Transition

Lanny Watkins Transition

Postby lagpressure » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:24 am

picasion.com_bc860c583d79888e836cadbfafb31f79.gif
picasion.com_bc860c583d79888e836cadbfafb31f79.gif (414.04 KiB) Viewed 3650 times

A fantastic view of Hall of Famer Lanny Watkins working clockwise forearm rotation through transition.
I used to love to follow Lanny around when I was a kid at PGA Tour events. When he got hot, his ball striking was just stellar. A hot and cold player,
but he could really go low when he was on fire. He played quick like Trevino, and completely fearless of anyone. Hot temper, wore his emotions on his sleeve.
Played on the Hogan staff (for a while) which back then did not pay players.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Re: Lanny Watkins Transition

Postby Ded2Journey » Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:48 pm

I've let this marinate over the last few days...excellent visual! Wonder if he ever hit his shoulder with the shaft? :lol: :lol: :lol: Great stuff for imagery too...Thanks for sharing Lag.
"People have always been telling me what I can't do. I guess I have wanted to show them. That's been one of my driving forces all my life." -Ben Hogan
Ded2Journey

Postby LesMurray » Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:44 pm

Is it time to sign up for super slotting? :D
LesMurray

Postby lagpressure » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:44 pm

It's a subtle (visually) common trait seen in most all the great ballstrikers (certainly the ones I tend to admire the most).

However, the club doesn't tend to "want to do this" in a natural way. I can most certainly show a student how to do this. Getting it to really stick is on a case by case basis, and depends a lot upon the student's commitment to the process. But knowing how to do this, having drills that really help ingrain this intention is very powerful in moving a golf swing into maximum precision and efficiency.

I can't think of one dynamic action in the golf swing that produces both power and accuracy when applied correctly. This combined with what we describe here at ABS as Module 3 really hits the mark.

I don't see many modern players doing this. Has it been forgotten in just one generation? I don't feel the lightweight modern equipment is helping. From my own experience, feeling some substantial head weight does wonders to help work the club into the slot.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby LesMurray » Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:03 pm

I have noticed that the deeper I can slot the club along the 4:30 line the more circular the motion becomes and the more my hands want to work into me. It really magnifies the forces to bring into the hit. I've only felt this a few times on the range, but I can tell my body wants this to happen.
LesMurray

Postby Ded2Journey » Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:05 pm

LesMurray wrote:I have noticed that the deeper I can slot the club along the 4:30 line the more circular the motion becomes and the more my hands want to work into me. It really magnifies the forces to bring into the hit. I've only felt this a few times on the range, but I can tell my body wants this to happen.

I love the feeling of my ground pressures increasing through the transition and exploding past the strike. It is a very circular motion, rotary if you will...with insane power and accuracy. Of course this would never work without the guns from P3 to P4... :?:

Lag, Which procedure do you prefer? Earlier transition slotting (Hogan/Trevino/Faldo) or a later transition slotting (snead/bobby jones/O'Grady)?
"People have always been telling me what I can't do. I guess I have wanted to show them. That's been one of my driving forces all my life." -Ben Hogan
Ded2Journey

Postby lagpressure » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:12 pm

Actually, I like Knudson's action the most. Similar to Hogan's but I really like how he maintains such a strong arm connection on the backswing and it's probably more a feeling most could relate to as far as his flexibility and body joints. More human I suppose!

A wider stance and more lateral leg action, it's another way of doing it compared to Snead or O Grady for that matter.
There is a real relationship between the clockwise rotation of the forearms through transition and how the lower body can aid in facilitating that.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby Ded2Journey » Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:03 am

lagpressure wrote:Actually, I like Knudson's action the most. Similar to Hogan's but I really like how he maintains such a strong arm connection on the backswing and it's probably more a feeling most could relate to as far as his flexibility and body joints. More human I suppose!

A wider stance and more lateral leg action, it's another way of doing it compared to Snead or O Grady for that matter.
There is a real relationship between the clockwise rotation of the forearms through transition and how the lower body can aid in facilitating that.

Would you say that they counterbalance each other...kind of opposing forces so to speak? Kind of like a tempo regulator as an analogy?
Ded2Journey

Postby lagpressure » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:34 am

A bit like wringing a towel in opposite directions. It firms up the core.

As soon as either or both knees are flexed, the club will start it's U turn back to the ball. This allows the club to continue to slot without the arms having to do the work of getting the club back moving toward the ball.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Return to Public Forum- Concepts in Advanced Ball Striking