John Jacobs

John Jacobs

Postby fontaine32 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:22 pm

I'm a firm believer in the more you do right before you swing the easier it is to make the moves you want to.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbAe2vgfzbA
fontaine32

Re: John Jacobs

Postby Ded2Journey » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:41 am

Really enjoyed this video. This is what I imagine Jack Grout's lessons with Jack Nicklaus were like... :shock:
"People have always been telling me what I can't do. I guess I have wanted to show them. That's been one of my driving forces all my life." -Ben Hogan
Ded2Journey

Postby fontaine32 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:00 pm

I bet.. Jack was having issues hitting the ball solid a long time ago.. Jack Grout told him to turn his left hand a quarter turn to the right and that put the ball a little further back in the stance and started striping it again.. Those little things make a huge difference..
fontaine32

Postby Mashie72 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:57 pm

His book "50 years of Golfing Wisdom" ain't half bad
"The secret is on the deck"
Mashie72

Postby fontaine32 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:48 pm

Practical Golf is well done also.. I was watching some Hogan vids, he mentioned that he'd be screwed on a dogleg right or a very tight hole because he had to aim so far right to allow for his low hook.. He changed his grip and aim and I believe his mechanics changed along with it or he did both at the same time.. Grip change=straighter ball flight, probably went dead right from his target then aimed the club online and body to suit.. If you watch his routine when in his prime and later, he was very meticulous about aiming and setting up in balance. In the video John Jacobs talks about when you aim right and then change grip or technique the pupil will get tired of hitting the ball right of their target and shift aim more left.. Greg Norman, Jack Nicklaus, Tiger and several greats all made sure those things were in place at address first to give themselves a much better chance of a pure strike.. I was watching Greg Norman practice at Doral a while back when he was No 1, and he went through that routine on every shot on the range, didn't just rake a ball into place and swing away.. Something to think about if you're struggling, get back to the basics..
fontaine32

Postby Ded2Journey » Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:40 am

I actually played 42 holes yesterday and towards the end I was really tuned in to my fundamentals. Grip, stance, pressures, etc. Alignment to the target even became automatic. Of course my strikes and lines improved tremendously on the last 9 or so holes. I found it fitting that I watched your video about an hour before I left to go play...I've been struggling with toe hooks lately.

I think the moral of the story is that as you become accustomed to swinging correctly, you only need to focus on fundamentals in order to maintain your best chances at hitting it pure. However, I also think it takes a good instructor to help with these things. Too bad we can't see ourselves...
"People have always been telling me what I can't do. I guess I have wanted to show them. That's been one of my driving forces all my life." -Ben Hogan
Ded2Journey

Postby fontaine32 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:52 am

I know people have different ways of going about it.. Learn mechanics first, then basics, or the other way around or both at the same time.. You really can't deny the way Jack, The Shark and Tiger learned.. I know certain golfers are known for their ball striking skills etc.. About 300 worldwide wins between these guys and 34 Professional majors.. 39 if you count the US Amateur.. Another set of vids to watch is Greg Norman's Complete golfer long game series.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9A4JL6mEpxc
fontaine32

Return to Public Forum- Concepts in Advanced Ball Striking