Hands-Wrists and Hitting from the CORE!

Hands-Wrists and Hitting from the CORE!

Postby Range Rat » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:48 am

Interesting message about hitting with the entire body, feeling it in the middle Chi. I think all teachers should know how to play drums, at least a little. :lol:
You're ahead of where you were, and behind where you're going.
Range Rat

Re: Hands-Wrists and Hitting with the Core

Postby Mashie72 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:33 pm

I agree you need a little Louis Bellson rhythm
"The secret is on the deck"
Mashie72

Postby norcalvol » Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:30 pm

Does Slingerland make persimmons or blades?
Accelerate forever!
norcalvol

Re: Hands-Wrists and Hitting from the CORE!

Postby Ded2Journey » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:22 am

Lot of 2nd and 3rd Accumulators. Think he grips the sticks with the last 3 fingers? HAHAHA--Great share...solid addition to the Chi discussions.
"People have always been telling me what I can't do. I guess I have wanted to show them. That's been one of my driving forces all my life." -Ben Hogan
Ded2Journey

Postby Range Rat » Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:40 pm

norcalvol wrote:Does Slingerland make persimmons or blades?

No, but it would have been sweet if they did since Slingerland were pretty fair experts I would imagine when it came to wood. I wouldn't have minded a persimmon wood stained deep green with a sand colored insert- natural colors for a natural game. It wouldn't have been the first manufacturer, not primarily associated with golf, to venture into the golf market.

Browning, the gun maker and ballistic expert, made the 500 and 440's, and some other things, which made sense since it is a ballistic game and they knew ballistics. Titleist followed Browning's lead and offered a low profile iron for a spell, but I forgot what it was called.

Ever hit a 440?
Range Rat

Postby jrichey1941 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:47 am

Are those the really really small club heads? My uncle still has a set laying of around I believe he calls Brownings, and they have the smallest sweet spots ive ever seen.
jrichey1941

Postby Range Rat » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:20 am

jrichey1941 wrote:Are those the really really small club heads? My uncle still has a set laying of around I believe he calls Brownings, and they have the smallest sweet spots ive ever seen.

Yes, low profile heads.

As the story goes, Browning had measuring and film equipment, together with a super slow motion capacity which was better than golf equipment manufactures of the time since they were, after all, studying bullet ballistics, not the ballistics of a slower moving golf ball.
Browning found, contrary to popular belief, that except for maybe the most lofted wedges, golf balls did not travel or back spin up the face of a lofted club to create spin. Instead, the ball compressed straight into the face and was sent directly forward.

That may have lead them to remove the top half of an iron since the ball does not spin upward on the face and put that mass into and within the first few grooves from the ground.

They are a remarkably easy club to get a ball into the air with. If one simply has the ability to apply a hunk of mass to an object on the ground it is a promise the ball coming off a Browning will get airborne quickly, too quickly for some folks.

The problem seemed to be the rough. Browning’s were great from the fairway but in any kind of deep rough you run the risk of swinging underneath the ball if not accommodated for. If golf courses had no rough and the playing surface was entirely very closely cut grass, and the premium was on higher flight without effort, Browning would be pretty fair choice.

I have a couple sets and break them out from time to time, the long irons get airborne so quickly it almost seems like cheating. The clubs remind me of those low profile, long nose hickory sticks to some degree.
abs1.jpg
abs1.jpg (87.53 KiB) Viewed 3143 times
Range Rat

Return to Public Forum- Concepts in Advanced Ball Striking