1986 Masters Full Sunday Telecast

1986 Masters Full Sunday Telecast

Postby LipOut » Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:10 pm

Some golf nerds here like me may be interested: For 1 week right now the Green Jackets have seen fit to give us access to the final round of the 1986 Masters. Rumor has it there was some drama.

http://www.masters.com/en_US/watch/2016-04-03/1869_0413_1.html
LipOut

Re: 1986 Masters Full Sunday Telecast

Postby lagpressure » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:44 am

Thanks for posting

Excellent fidelity to view, and I'll enjoy watching it again.

In the opening commentary we hear Jim MacKay mention "A tradition like no other". This is 1986. The only big changes might be the introduction of
metal woods and that greens got a lot faster changing from Bermuda to Bent in the early 1970's. The metal woods however remained "traditional" in size
and playability.

Now we have an event that claims "tradition like no other" however they have…

1. Allowed the driver heads to double in size
2. Allowed shaft lengths to increase by 3 inches or more
3. Allowed a plastic golf ball that is juiced up and travels up to 15% farther
4. Allowed long putters (still allowed if not anchored)
5. Radically changed the length of the golf course, but not the 15% percent that would be required to keep a proper ratio 6950 should now be 7993
6. Allowed soft spiked golf shoes

So the course has been radically changed. The equipment has been radically changed. The way the course is played therefore has been RADICALLY changed.
Given all of that…. they have kept the size of the hole the same and the flags are yellow. There is a green jacket awarded in Butler Cabin and there are Magnolia trees alongside the driveway. I suppose it's traditional they didn't move the event to Phoenix.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby fontaine32 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:51 pm

With the wind coming from the west gusting to 25 the first three rounds I really don't see that many guys going low.. Only helping wind on a par 5 will be the second shot at 2.. We'll definitely see a lot of birdies on Sun since the wind will switch and calm down.. Good luck hitting the 7th green 20 mph directly downwind.. 4 and 7 will be the toughest greens to hit on the front 9..11 will be playing very long and you'll see a lot of bailouts right into the green. 12 will be tougher than usual with a strong crosswind from the right.. I don't foresee Jason Day winning like everyone is talking about unless he controls his trajectory.. The conditions will balance it out this year I think.. Should be interesting.
fontaine32

Postby stevemcgee99 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:35 pm

lagpressure wrote: There is a green jacket awarded in Butler Cabin

I bet it's not made in the US, and it's got darts now.
McGee
stevemcgee99

Return to Public Forum- Concepts in Advanced Ball Striking