Jack Nicklaus: Change the ball not #13 at Augusta

Re: Jack Nicklaus: Change the ball not #13 at Augusta

Postby lagpressure » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:27 am

stevemcgee99 wrote:Doesn't have to be persimmon wood to be smaller, heavier, and have the impact properties. Laminates work just fine. And there are many many species of trees in the world. Persimmon is not the only option, and anyway it can be farmed. How's the prospect of persimmon farming for the golf industry as opposed to mining?

The tradition of the game's clubs have always been simply a combination of WOODS and IRONS. Nothing wrong with any kind of wood head. Just the name "metal wood" is a nonsensical term that should be questioned.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby HelterSkelter » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:09 am

20 Mule Team wrote:Rolling back the ball specs would be a good start, imo, but would not be nearly enough. You'd still have clubs that are too large, too long, too light, and with too high a coefficient of restitution. Here's what I'd like to see in addition to a ball adjustment:

1) Cap the clubhead size, let's say 225 cc.
2) Rollback the allowable COR to 0.78-79 (comparable to persimmon).
3) Set a minimum weight limit on clubs, let's say 12.5 oz (365+/- grams).
4) Set a maximum club length of 44.5 inches (including putters).

Agree with this, although I would be more generous and say 250cc. I think that points 1 and 2 would take care of point 4 without the need for a rule and maybe the weight also.

Top tour players do definitely miss the sweet spot occasionally, under pressure anyway. I've seen Monty thin one off the tee less than 200 yards, with something about 300-350cc. And he was a pretty handy ball striker with 7 European order of merits!
HelterSkelter

Postby 20 Mule Team » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:15 pm

I was visiting this weekend with the owner of McIntyre golf balls at a hickory golf event and he said that Dean Snell at Snellgolf.com was working on a ball with balata spin characteristics, although as I understand it with modern materials. I think its a joint project with Dennis Paulson, former touring pro and current host of a golf show on XM/Sirrius radio.

Might be worth keeping an eye on.
20 Mule Team

Postby stevemcgee99 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:50 pm

lagpressure wrote:The tradition of the game's clubs have always been simply a combination of WOODS and IRONS. Nothing wrong with any kind of wood head. Just the name "metal wood" is a nonsensical term that should be questioned.

I was surprised when my friend who plays toasters saw my clubs and wanted to show everyone,"'Hey, there's screws on this old wood. That's what 'hitting it on the screws means!'"
McGee
stevemcgee99

Previous

Return to Public Forum- Concepts in Advanced Ball Striking