Grip

Grip

Postby fontaine32 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:39 am

If any of you grip the club while it's soled on the ground behind the ball stop doing it..
fontaine32

Re: Grip

Postby fontaine32 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:06 am

Grip it up here like Ben does.. Image
fontaine32

Postby Steve P » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:48 am

:ugeek: OK I will bite whats the reasoning behind this idea?
Steve P

Postby fontaine32 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:18 pm

Forces you to get the proper pressure points in the last three fingers of left hand and the heel pad on top of grip.. Very relaxed grip yet like a vice..
fontaine32

Postby Steve P » Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:34 pm

I like setting the club down in its alignment then gripping because I do it the same way every time and have for years. Gives me confidence in the face alignment. I don't have trouble taking a proper grip doing it that way. FWIW I use a firm grip not relaxed on full shots. I go for control not max speed. I think grip is so important because the best grip for each person is pretty individual. Have to admit though I am set in my ways and happy with the results.
If you need more speed I think your grip concept has merit. A free relaxed grip definitely has speed potential. I was goofing around last year and on a shot into a par five I had about 240 to the front and I relaxed my grip and arms a bit on my 17 hybrid and hit it pure. Landed on the green and finished about 15 feet from the cup. I still to this day could not repeat that. I definitely could not do it using a firm grip. That's the thing to me about grip. When I let it relax the ball could go anywhere. I need the sense that I am one with the face.
Grip is just so important. Good topic. :ugeek: Oh and yes I drained the eagle.
Steve P

Postby fontaine32 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:41 pm

Watch the Hogan Coleman video where he discusses the grip.. I can't get the pressure points correct putting the club on ground first unless I hinge it up and adjust grip.. Individual thing..
fontaine32

Postby fontaine32 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:46 pm

I mean relaxed in the wrists.. Long ago I would wear out gloves in the heel pad area cuz the grip was moving all over the place.. If I let the weight of the grip settle into the last three fingers then the grip can't move in my hands.. I have large palms and short fingers..
fontaine32

Postby Mashie72 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:29 pm

Jack claims he never soled his club ever including putts
"The secret is on the deck"
Mashie72

Postby fontaine32 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:42 pm

Mashie72 wrote:Jack claims he never soled his club ever including putts
True, he did that because he found it easier to hit out of the heavy rough when he learned to play at Scioto.. Put it into the rest of his game because it helped with a smoother takeaway and wouldn't snatch the grass going back.. For some reason for me I can't grip the club correctly soled on the ground.. I grip it walking into the shot where my last three fingers can latch on and pressure up.. Less play in the club face that way and forces me to hinge rather than roll my wrists..
fontaine32

Postby fontaine32 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:47 pm

Steve P wrote:I like setting the club down in its alignment then gripping because I do it the same way every time and have for years. Gives me confidence in the face alignment. I don't have trouble taking a proper grip doing it that way. FWIW I use a firm grip not relaxed on full shots. I go for control not max speed. I think grip is so important because the best grip for each person is pretty individual. Have to admit though I am set in my ways and happy with the results.
If you need more speed I think your grip concept has merit. A free relaxed grip definitely has speed potential. I was goofing around last year and on a shot into a par five I had about 240 to the front and I relaxed my grip and arms a bit on my 17 hybrid and hit it pure. Landed on the green and finished about 15 feet from the cup. I still to this day could not repeat that. I definitely could not do it using a firm grip. That's the thing to me about grip. When I let it relax the ball could go anywhere. I need the sense that I am one with the face.
Grip is just so important. Good topic. :ugeek: Oh and yes I drained the eagle.

You know what will increase your confidence? Knowing where the club face is in your hands with your eyes closed..
fontaine32

Next

Return to Public Forum- Concepts in Advanced Ball Striking