Closed stance fade

Closed stance fade

Postby fontaine32 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:08 am

Found it easier to hit a fade from a close stance couple days ago...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsegmh_iFtg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Gu-hpM0VO4
fontaine32

Re: Closed stance fade

Postby Stu Carlburger » Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:08 pm

Fontain,

Back many years ago when I began my competative career I had the good fortune to get to practice with this old boy named Jack at the Dallas Athletic Club. Jack was an interesting guy. He had flown spit fires for the Royal Canadian Air Corp in WWII, was a bush pilot in northern Ontario, and also a successful businessman (with mob ties, I was told) in Dallas later in life. Further, he said he knew Hogan and Nelson quite well, and one day showed me a shot that he claimed was how the old boys used to fade the ball -- the closed off fade.

It's pretty simple, yet it kind of defies the convention of popular teaching. One moves the ball up a bit in the stance, CLOSES the club face, and the adjust the path to out to in. The closed clubface will start the ball left, while the out to in path will cause it to fade back to the right. When I began to practice this shot, I found that I had he most success when I closed my stance while making the path out to in. The beauty of this shot is that it can be hit VERY hard and very low, and is great for escaping trouble spots, but also for attacking back right pins by skipping a low runner in there.

Interestingly, it wasn't until I learned about the DPlane years later that I realized what he had show me. As I said, I found that by blocking off my rotation with a closed stance I kind of eliminated both the double cross (too much body rotation too early) and too much fade (too much rotation too early with a hold off to keep from hooking). I use the shot as my "go to" when I absolutely must hit the fairway or green, or from trouble. Want it lower, shut the face down more. Want more fade, make the path MORE out to in, etc. I would play entire rounds hitting nothing but that closed off fade, making slight face and/or path adjustments to change the shape.

It's great fun!
Stu Carlburger

Postby fontaine32 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:56 am

Hogan and Snead did the same with their longer clubs, gives a closed feet/open shoulders look to it.. Makes sense to put it up in the stance because you don't want the shoulders aiming right.. Learn something new in this crazy game every day.. Great story Stu..
fontaine32

Postby fontaine32 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:13 am

I'm liking the lower hands compared to where I used to be.. Now I need to work on some post impact drills to stop rolling the hands early.

fontaine32

Return to Public Forum- Concepts in Advanced Ball Striking