The Masters

The Masters

Postby lagpressure » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:33 pm

I saw an interview with Tiger recently and it was refreshing to hear him talk more candidly about The Masters.
He said the Augusta committee has been making the course longer so that today's players should be hitting the same clubs into the greens as in the past, but that with the modern ball which doesn't spin as much.... they also had to soften up the greens as well as flatten them out considerably.

So of course this completely changes the nature of how the course is played... how players prepare, and how things unfold on Sunday.

Augusta has always been about controlling trajectory as much as anything. It seems they have been playing "Whack a Mole" for a long time now. It really is "A Tradition Like No Other" because in the case of The Masters, it's a tradition that is unlike any other tradition that actually keeps tradition.

They really should just relocate the event to a newly constructed course that challenges the players within the context of the modern game. Figure out how to really pull the best out of the modern skill set that truly separates the event from other events. There should be a way to figure out who has the unique special skills that set them apart from the rest in a way that doesn't make it look like just another tour event.

A good way to start would be to simply define what they are looking for in a modern master of current golf. Distance, great wedge play and putting? I assume so. It certainly isn't long iron play, working the ball or playing irons off side hill lies.

If they set up a course that force long carries off the tee... bunkers across many of the fairways, or other hazards. The longest hitters could fly over the hazards.... that could narrow down the field..... the others would have to lay up and not be able to access the greens properly. Then set up the greens with very difficult tiers that would require precision short iron play, otherwise the players would have a very hard time putting from one tier to another.

From there the putting contest starts. Something like this would get closer to a unique event that could crown today's best players.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Re: The Masters

Postby LesMurray » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:48 pm

Sounds much like Chambers Bay was a couple of years ago for the US Open. Not much of a driving challenge but the greens were very difficult to hold and only the most precise shots would end up in the right spot. Then it was luck of the putt as the fescue greens added an element of chance to holing it.
LesMurray

Postby k2baloo » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:26 pm

It's a bit unfortunate that the course has had to change so much. Most fans don't care too much though. At this point, they're never going to roll the game back. It would be too much of a battle and the OEMs just wouldn't allow it.

I think a persimmon tour would be cool, or even a single persimmon event every year. I would watch that.
k2baloo

Postby lagpressure » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:13 pm

I really miss watching the tournament (for me) formally known as The Masters.
Just such a shame, so many bad decisions made by so many...

It's been a slow gradual decline of the event. Not sure what was the last proper Masters, but I think it was probably sometime
in the early 2000's if not before.

It can be suspenseful and competitive, but so can any tour event for that matter on any golf course.

What made the Masters so unique in the past is that it required a much more specific skill set to win the event. Now, it feels like anyone
who got an invite could be a legitimate contender if they have a hot week. Wouldn't surprise me to see high school kid win the event.
The greens holding like they do... flattened out.... bomb it. wedge it, putt the lights out. It's sounds like any generic tour event.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby lagpressure » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:18 pm

k2baloo wrote:It's a bit unfortunate that the course has had to change so much. Most fans don't care too much though. At this point, they're never going to roll the game back. It would be too much of a battle and the OEMs just wouldn't allow it.

I think a persimmon tour would be cool, or even a single persimmon event every year. I would watch that.

It's a bit like different card games.. There are strategies for playing blackjack, poker, Texas Hold Em... etc...
but what I don't like is to see the more interesting game go away because a few in power believe there is only room for one game.
Could you imagine being a poker player and the next time you go out for a game you have to play blackjack because someone said
"we don't play poker anymore? That's how I feel.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby lagpressure » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:58 pm

Watched the tournament for about 10 minutes today.
Greens are way too soft to call it a major. Short irons into soft greens isn't interesting to watch when it is a collection
of the worlds most skilled players. Just playing like any regular tour event.

I love Sergio's golf swing, but driving the ball 336 yards on the ninth... it's playing 460 and he's flipping wedge into the green.

Ridiculous.

This event is just ruined.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby k2baloo » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:46 am

I haven't been able to watch any of it yet. I'll watch the last couple hours today. I'll enjoy watching Sergio, Rose, and Speith.
k2baloo

Postby k2baloo » Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:18 pm

Sergio's putt on 18.... Arghhhh

Can't believe he missed it. He's been hitting great irons down the stretch.
k2baloo

Postby lagpressure » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:57 am

Fairways running out yielding 350 yard drives. Short irons into soft greens.
Playing like a typical tour event. Drives all over the place. Good short iron play,
perfect putting surfaces.

Nice to see Sergio win, although I never felt like I was watching The Masters yet alone a major event.

Watched McIlroy hit wedge into 15.... for his second shot. Not much drama for a hole that is supposed to
offer a risk reward situation for a low trajectory long iron or fairway wood.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby HelterSkelter » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:26 pm

Watched all four days and Sergio really hit it great. 80% fairways and 75% greens over 4 days and very windy first two days.

Course was a bit softer for first three days, as it rained hard a couple of days before the tournament started.

Sergio left quite a few putts out there over the four days, despite holing some good ones in the final round.

He could easily have birdied the other five of the last six holes if he putted better. He hit it that close.

Eight iron for second into 15 is a bit of a joke - but at least he hit the pin! They were two seriously good shots.
HelterSkelter

Next

Return to Public Forum- Concepts in Advanced Ball Striking