Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/advanced/public_html/forum/common.php on line 106
Advanced Ball Striking • View topic - Masters Chairman Sets Stage for Golf's Civil War

Masters Chairman Sets Stage for Golf's Civil War

Re: Masters Chairman Sets Stage for Golf's Civil War

Postby lagpressure » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:05 am

I do think the answer, the only logical answer is bifurcation.
We have a strong community here of persimmon players no doubt who appreciate the technique of the great strikers etc.. from a players point of view.

The guys over at Linksoul are another pod of persimmon purists who look at the classic game more from a spiritual, holistic point of view, Golf in the Kingdom etc. I agree with everything they are saying as well.

The staff at Louisville Golf is now down to 4 employees... from what was once a very big company.

Being a pro and having played at such a high level on tour, I miss the classic pro game. I really have zero interest in Super Golf. It just doesn't feel good to me.
It feels out of touch, too egocentric with the quest for distance. Conditions way too perfect making the shotmaking palate far less interesting. A ball that won't hold it's left or right curvature on the descent down. Shoes that don't grip the ground correctly. Harsh metallic sounds that hurt my ears. A total lack of aesthetic with the clubs. Hard balls that feel terrible and don't perform well from a pro strikers perspective. The TV coverage is ignorant and boring with way too much talk and hype for days on end before an event like The Masters.

Wasn't this years event talked up as the most hyped Masters in the last 20 years? The result? A journeyman tour player wins his first major. The fourth year in a row at Augusta with a first time major winner. Hardly what this event used to be. To me, it's a total bore. I would rather spend Sunday afternoon fishing or pulling weeds in my garden. I never would have dreamed years ago I would completely lose interest in watching the Sunday Masters. I watched a brief highlight reel. This is the second year now I have completely passed on watching the event.

As much as I love this game, and have dedicated much of my life to the game both as a player, teacher, club repair and designer and modern website hoster,
it really says something about the state of the game moving into Super Golf. It's just horrible from my perspective.

So when I hear something like the Geoff Cunningham podcast I posted today, it feels good, refreshing and inspiring to think a new generation of thought is emerging from a younger generation that is just saying NO! right across the boards. It makes me want to support that, encourage and go out and play the game for all the right reasons. Now the The Master's Chairman talking about the spirit of Bobby Jones.. it's a good thing, and a sign of some movement in the right direction as far as I am concerned.

The classic game is there to play... just play it. We do need a better ball, one that essentially grips the air better. The wound balls pretty much have all gone bad by now. The Wilson Duo feels good around the greens with the soft cover, but it goes too far and doesn't hold shot shape.

http://thegolfersjournal.libsyn.com/episode-4-geoff-cunningham-persimmon-golf
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby Ded2Journey » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:40 am

What a great discussion! Glad to hear that LinkSoul is trying to shift the paradigm...

20MT,
I'm not sure if they will have to roll the equipment back too. I think they can just grow the rough and not dry out the fairways. Poof...less roll out, less carry, more penalties--problem solved. The manufacturers are in too deep now...they'll pull strings to keep it that way. My $.02 anyway... 8-)

With that being said, I think it is important to note that the pendulum must swing in order for it to maintain balance. Yin/Yang. Everything has it's polarity...
We just need a little more "pull" to get it to start swinging the other way...
"People have always been telling me what I can't do. I guess I have wanted to show them. That's been one of my driving forces all my life." -Ben Hogan
Ded2Journey

Postby stevemcgee99 » Wed May 23, 2018 6:57 pm

A benefit to manufacturers for rolling back clubs is it will kill the 2nd-hand market for a few years, at least. All the titanium age clubs will be obsolete.
McGee
stevemcgee99

Postby lagpressure » Wed May 23, 2018 8:54 pm

I wrote Fred Ridley last week and he was kind enough to reply to me. We have a couple mutual friends actually, it's a small world.
He's in a unique position of power in the game, and I wanted him to know that there are people who support the game going back to
proper dimensions and parameters as were intended. He knows this stuff obviously by his words, and while I doubt anything too drastic
will happen immediately, it does feel like the tide is changing to some degree, for better and not for worse.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby Ded2Journey » Fri May 25, 2018 6:27 pm

lagpressure wrote:I wrote Fred Ridley last week and he was kind enough to reply to me. We have a couple mutual friends actually, it's a small world.
He's in a unique position of power in the game, and I wanted him to know that there are people who support the game going back to
proper dimensions and parameters as were intended. He knows this stuff obviously by his words, and while I doubt anything too drastic
will happen immediately, it does feel like the tide is changing to some degree, for better and not for worse.

Let me be the first to say, I appreciate you sharing the inside track with us where you can Lag. Thank you. It's an amazing thing to see happening...we are witnessing GOLF HISTORY folks!!!
"People have always been telling me what I can't do. I guess I have wanted to show them. That's been one of my driving forces all my life." -Ben Hogan
Ded2Journey

Postby lagpressure » Fri May 25, 2018 9:47 pm

Ultimately, it's important to realize that golf is a game. Games have come and gone, but all games have rules and most importantly parameters.
It's the parameters that define the game, then come the rules of play... of playing the game.

There are other elements, such as the logistics side, business side, social impact etc, but at the core, golf is a game.

From there, any game usually branches off into variations etc... and golf is no different and it has been on this changing trajectory for quite some time.

We have now three games... the hickory game, the classic game and the super golf game.

Each of these variations needs their own parameters and rules.... they are and should be different.
The courses themselves should be matched to fit each game.

I think playing the super golf game on a classic golf layout is an uncomfortable fit. It lacks serendipity. It would feel equally awkward to play hickory clubs
and a gutta percha ball on a 7500 yard layout. Sure it can be done, but it lacks a basic harmony, an essential feeling of a good fit. Like the round peg and square hole.

This is why there is still conflict in golf's popular culture, on TV, in the press, and between generations of golfers. It's really nothing more than we are somewhere in the process of acknowledgment of this bifurcation process having already taken place.

I reviewed all of these concepts and discussions with Mr Ridley and more. I suppose some as a reminder, but also, possibly another way of presenting things politely... argumentatively to others on the opposing side of the fence.... or Magnolia Lane.... which I am sure he will be having a lot of serious discussion with the other power players.

I really wish him the best, and feel confident he is coming from the right place, from the perspective of the game itself as the center piece of debate and conflict.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Public Forum- Concepts in Advanced Ball Striking