Adding lead under Persimmon wood insert

Adding lead under Persimmon wood insert

Postby paradigm_shift » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:09 am

I'm trying to make my persimmon Driver 16oz.
I will have lead powder going down the shaft but I also want to put some lead under the insert.
I see that many people drill a hole and then melt lead into it.

Can I take off the insert...sand the area a bit...and then layer lead tape....and put the insert back on with epoxy and the screws?
paradigm_shift

Re: Adding lead under Persimmon wood insert

Postby k2baloo » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:36 am

I think you'll find it easier to remove the soleplate and put the weight in there.
k2baloo

Postby paradigm_shift » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:24 am

k2baloo wrote:I think you'll find it easier to remove the soleplate and put the weight in there.

Sorry I think that's what i meant. The bottom of the club. Can I take it off...sand it a bit and then add layers of lead tape before replacing the soleplate?
paradigm_shift

Postby k2baloo » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:57 pm

I imagine that might work but lead tape isn't as dense as the powders, so you'll need to make more room inside the head to accommodate that. You're shooting for a very heavy driver, so I think a powder will work better.

Also, if you have lots of tape, just apply it to the outside of the driver to experiment with the weighting before you commit to a specific weight.
k2baloo

Postby stevemcgee99 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:04 pm

I've got 3 one-inch strips of lead on the outside rear / toe area of my woods and it seems to work great. Way too light before that.
McGee
stevemcgee99

Return to Club Repair and ABS alterations