Draw or Fade?

Hosted by Grady (NFBANDON)

Re: Draw or Fade?

Postby LesMurray » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:32 am

My guess would be based on your aim you are looking to fade the ball. However, coming from that deep rough I would gather that the grass closed down the face some and you ended up more straight ending up in the left rough.
LesMurray

Postby Mashie72 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:43 am

k2baloo wrote:Not sure if you can tell any kind of shot shape from this, but let's see what you guess?
This is a 4 wood out of the rough from last fall. Had it sitting on my labtop and decided to dump it here...

4WoodImpact.PNG

This is my logic below

K2 is smart
Hitting a draw with a wood from ankle deep rough is not smart
Therefore, K2 is hitting a fade
"The secret is on the deck"
Mashie72

Postby k2baloo » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:15 pm

It went dead strait... Les was right. Not too exciting a post, but I think I'm getting stir crazy. Have to get the golf good in somehow.
Luckily, we do escape to SoCal soon and I'll play a round out there. Will meet up with a buddy who's a Callaway rep, he'll lose his mind when he sees my vintage clubs :lol:
k2baloo

Postby LesMurray » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:38 am

k2baloo wrote:It went dead strait... Les was right. Not too exciting a post, but I think I'm getting stir crazy. Have to get the golf good in somehow.
Luckily, we do escape to SoCal soon and I'll play a round out there. Will meet up with a buddy who's a Callaway rep, he'll lose his mind when he sees my vintage clubs :lol:

Kyle, let me know when you are in town. There are some good courses around here for classic gear. I even have some balatas ready to go.
LesMurray

Postby k2baloo » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:26 pm

LesMurray wrote:
k2baloo wrote:It went dead strait... Les was right. Not too exciting a post, but I think I'm getting stir crazy. Have to get the golf good in somehow.

Kyle, let me know when you are in town. There are some good courses around here for classic gear. I even have some balatas ready to go.

Would love to play! I'll pm and we'll see if we can work something out.
k2baloo

Postby k2baloo » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:23 pm

So, on a whim I signed up for a State Am Qualifier and played with my new, modern gear. I had a blast doing it since I haven't played any competitive rounds in years, but my ball striking was poor and I came in at 79. 5 shots above what I needed to get into a playoff (so pretty far off...). I actually putted well and felt very comfortable on the greens. It was only my 3rd round of 18 holes since February, so coming in with low expectations helped me enjoy the day despite the many mistakes.

I came out of it ready to get back to the vintage gear - I still strongly prefer the old clubs. Also, my left knee starts to hurt when I play too much with the modern stuff - probably due to the lighter weights. I am tempted to sell the new stuff and invest in a lie loft machine and a few other tools for a proper bench, but my wife might have some thoughts on that. Anyone want some flat Wishon Dr, 3w, and hybrid heads?? LOL Or some Callaway wedges and irons 3 flat with CTaper shafts?? :D

Anyway, last weekend I was able to sneak out for 9 holes and film a vintage course vlog. I hope to edit it and put it on YouTube soon - planning to give away a set of 75 dynas in the vid too if anyone needs a set, will probably have folks comment on the vid for a chance to win them... Played pretty badly, but enjoyed being on the course. Here is one of the better swings from the round, a 3 wood that ended up in the middle of the fairway.

k2baloo

Postby Wknhacker » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:42 am

Hey K2. What ball are you using in that video with the 3 wood? Looks like one of the new fluorescent Pro V1's I see Bubba Watson using.
"I have a tip that can take five strokes off anyone's golf game: it's called an eraser." - Arnold Palmer
Wknhacker

Postby k2baloo » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:30 pm

Wknhacker wrote:Hey K2. What ball are you using in that video with the 3 wood? Looks like one of the new fluorescent Pro V1's I see Bubba Watson using.

Vice Pro Plus (green)
k2baloo

Postby Wknhacker » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:21 am

k2baloo wrote:Vice Pro Plus (green)

Thanks. Curious as to your impressions of that ball off the persimmon woods in terms of performance and feel.
"I have a tip that can take five strokes off anyone's golf game: it's called an eraser." - Arnold Palmer
Wknhacker

Postby k2baloo » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:07 pm

Wknhacker wrote:
k2baloo wrote:Vice Pro Plus (green)

Thanks. Curious as to your impressions of that ball off the persimmon woods in terms of performance and feel.

I feel it plays similar to a ProV1x, but launches higher. It's a urethane cover, 4 piece ball. I like the feel a lot and mainly chose it based on its performance off the persimmons. It is higher compression, but doesn't feel overly firm at all to me. Some people like the low compression balls for persimmons, but I don't. I would give it an A for persimmons, a B for iron play, and an A-/B+ for short game and putting. The fact that they sell a few different colors is a nice perk too.

I used to play the Z-Star. I think I preferred the Z-Star for iron play, but like the Pro Plus better off the woods. I also tried the Cut golf balls and wasn't terribly impressed by the feel, but they performed well as far as cheap urethane options go. In the end the Pro Plus was a good choice and a pretty good value because I ordered 5 dozen to get the lowest price possible.
k2baloo

PreviousNext

Return to In Search of the Great Ball Strikers