How to incorporate the mod work into our golf swing

Hosted by Grady (NFBANDON)

Re: How to incorporate the mod work into our golf swing

Postby stevemcgee99 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:47 pm

I've been playing a lot more (4 games last weekend, 9 holes Wednesday evening, two games this weekend, etc.) and going to the range less.

Not officially started modules (yet) but I have drilled a bit with a bag, and John shared a couple of things with me when I bought my clubs.

Recently, I've done a couple of mod 1 drill type swings before I take my practice swing on the course. That's helped.
Then, today I was talking about my slice with one of the guys I was paired with at Sharp Park. He mentioned causes of either an open face or swinging from the outside in. It hit me - 'bow to the 4:30 line". I think I get it.

Hit my straightest 4 wood (the 'new' 1951 Mac I've been struggling with) ever. I think I could see how hip first, slotting, lag then forearm rotation add up to a swing arc that comes in from 'after 3:00' today.
McGee
stevemcgee99

Postby superslotter07 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:26 pm

nfbandon I like the video of you doing the drill that John showed you. I, like probably others, have had problems feeling like I can put the drills together to make a cohesive swing. A couple of things have helped me-one of which may help you. Your table top drill looks good. I get that feeling going back which helps me maintain that feeling coming down . Trying to flatten the shaft going back helps me engage my back, not lift the club-a fault for a long time, and gets the club in a better spot for the downswing.
My next discovery which may help you is I try to straighten my right arm as I move down which helps my hands move MUCH further away from my body then ever before. Once I can get into that spot-probably the real slot- I can repack my arms and pivot as fast as I want to and feel much more acceleration during and after the strike than ever before! These feelings have resulted in a big breakthru for my ball striking!
superslotter07

Postby Ded2Journey » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:38 am

Superslotter,

Try hitting balls with 25-50% power...slow motion basically. Really work on finding the 430 line, holding ground pressures and releasing everything together at the very bottom. You shots should start off as slices that start right and move right. As you sync up your pivot and ABS release, you'll begin to really tune into the 430 line. Once you get that feeling, it never leaves you. nfbandon's table top is spot on. My only recommendation is to really slow down the motion so you can "feel" the pressures building. Best of luck!
"People have always been telling me what I can't do. I guess I have wanted to show them. That's been one of my driving forces all my life." -Ben Hogan
Ded2Journey

Postby nfbandon » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:38 am

Superslotter,

Straightening the right arm in transition is something John talks about in the epic "Let's Talk Golf Machine" thread. He says it is something Mac O'Grady taught, at least back in the 80s. It makes sense. If we keep the arm bent to the same degree it is at the top of the BS we are going to miss the ball unless we have ridiculous knee flex. So this encourages an arm dump. If you get your hands low before the delivery sequence begins there is less pressure to dump the arms.

Dropping the arms however can cause inside steep if the handle drops faster than the clubhead. I did that for 35 years, and am still fighting it. This is why SS has been such a challenge for me.
nfbandon

Postby Mystery man » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:43 am

Not sure if this will help anyone , but it helps me which is the main thing. Anyway , my last few range sessions I incorporated a small practice swing that uses all 3 mod's in feel for me . Basically I over emphasize the feel and hold each position of the mod's while doing a mini ghost 1/2 swing . Each mod position will be held for a few seconds so I can ingrain the feel. Than I will take a normal practice swing full speed keeping these feels. Really did wonders for me , and I continue with this process every dozen balls on the range. The best thing I can do besides taking the impact bag to the range

I'm going to incorporate this drill on the course as well , really drives home the feel I'm looking for. Worked very well so far, and worked great on pitches and chips as well. Will most likely only play a handful of rounds this year , but if i maintain these feels I'm positive I should play well and have a lot of fun in the process. Accentuating the fun
One in the oven
Mystery man

Postby lagpressure » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:13 pm

The ball doesn't lie. If something you are doing is improving the ball flight, then something correct is improving.

The problem with holding static positions is that the golf swing is not a static action. It's moving and dynamic. What you might be gaining is some kind of spacial awareness benefit, but those spacial awareness feelings are best learned, felt, experienced and related to when the golf club is moving in real time.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby lagpressure » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:15 am

grady.jpg
grady.jpg (140.14 KiB) Viewed 4191 times

Nice clubface control by Grady!
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby twomasters » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:11 pm

How To Incorporate the Mod Work Into Our Golf Swing............ How I do it....find your own variation(s)... If you have done the drills enough you can preset the logic/feels/sensation in before you start the swing through the way you address the ball and setup....NO THOUGHT during the swing except maybe the Mod 3 to allow everything that comes before that the time to work (remember mod 1 creates speed so we dont need to try create it).... JUST DO IT!!!!

Password: stewart

twomasters

Postby Mystery man » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:13 am

twomasters wrote:How To Incorporate the Mod Work Into Our Golf Swing............ How I do it....find your own variation(s)... If you have done the drills enough you can preset the logic/feels/sensation in before you start the swing through the way you address the ball and setup....NO THOUGHT during the swing except maybe the Mod 3 to allow everything that comes before that the time to work (remember mod 1 creates speed so we dont need to try create it).... JUST DO IT!!!!

Password: stewart

I played some great golf that way this year ... That is a great post
One in the oven
Mystery man

Previous

Return to In Search of the Great Ball Strikers