How to incorporate the mod work into our golf swing

Hosted by Grady (NFBANDON)

How to incorporate the mod work into our golf swing

Postby nfbandon » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:28 pm

I suspect most of you have seen my thread "In Search of the Great Ballstrikers" on Secret in the Dirt. If so, you are also aware that site has deteriorated into a mess. So I will be posting much more regularly here on ABS. I have noticed the site is getting more active, so I hope we can generate some good dialogue here.

My initial post is going to be a question-how have you incorporated your mod work into your golf swing? I ask this because, while I do think it seeps in over time, I sense some of us get frustrated. I would offer one thing that really helped me- hitting shots with each hand alone. I will tell you I never could do this before ABS, but doing one hand drills gives us the capacity to do this. I will also say that, once you have made solid contact with five shots with each hand, I can almost guaranty you will flush the first shot you hit with both hands on the club.

Here is a video of me doing this last year. As you can see I am not expert at it at all, but hopefully you can see all of the first four mods in the effort.

nfbandon

Re: How to incorporate the mod work into our golf swing

Postby Stevenco962 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:10 pm

Good to see this thread move to a location that won't be dominated by all of the whack jobs over on SITD. What I have been trying to do lately is make sure I pressure down in to my left leg in my transition (lefty here). I think this is one of the reasons I have been having trouble shallowing out the shaft in transition is that I struggle with my upper body dominating the swing. As I have mentioned to you before Grady, even though I swing lefty, I am right handed. My first move from the top is a hard pull with my right hand and I am still trying to get a feel for allowing the club to fall behind me. More Mod 2 work is needed to get comfortable with pressuring down through the trail leg, but I still haven't found a feel or thought to keep me from rushing my transition move. I saw you mention on SITD that you felt as if you had all the time in the world... I ain't there yet lol.
Stevenco962

Postby nfbandon » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:02 pm

Steve,

I am still working on that as well. One thing that I find important, given that I am lead side eye dominate, is not to let my eyeline drift targetward as I load into the rear leg. But yes loading into the rear leg gives you more time. There is a different rhythm that must be learned, however, and that is part of what makes it challenging. I was always a 1 and 2 guy, but this is 1 and 2,3.
nfbandon

Postby ballturf » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:57 pm

Hey Steve & nfbandon

I was a TGM disciple about 3 years ago as a swinger I would hit really high shots and my miss were a block right. I found ABS and as I work thru the modules I've been relearning my golf as a Hitter now my shot are low penetrating shots. I'm ambidextrous, However I feel I have more power from the left side and my left hand is stronger. I also do the left and right handed drills and I have more control over the club with my left hand cause it is stronger. I 'm constantly working on my right side of my brain and focusing on my right side of my body.

I think the more drilling I do with my right side it will only get stronger. I've also thought about getting a left handed two Iron and do drills as a lefty. With that said I really appreciate your comments and all the Videos I see you posting. I also would like to thank everyone here and enjoy reading all the post, A shout out to Two and Lag for all the great post and the VAULT :)

Ballturf.
The only way to permanently learn a motor skill is thru REPETITION !
ballturf

Postby Horizon » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:03 pm

Grady,

Been a follower of your thread on SITD and a long time lurker here at ABS. Just signed up today and will be taking the plunge! Your improvements have been an inspiration for me. So thank you.

Look forward to your posts here and learning from both you, John and Bradley.
Horizon

Postby eagle » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:30 pm

Thanks for posting. That looks like a good drill with a nice payoff. I look forward to incorporating it.
eagle
eagle

Postby Range Rat » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:38 pm

Alright Grady.....let 'er rip. 8-)
You're ahead of where you were, and behind where you're going.
Range Rat

Postby flatnstuck » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:41 am

Ahh. Pure golf talk. How refreshing. Look forward to participating in earnest Grades.
flatnstuck

Postby Horizon » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:03 am

I just signed up for the whole enchilada yesterday.
Got my bag together and have been viewing all the wonderful material in the module 1 area.

Lag says our grip will develop into our own attachment to the club. My question is this:
Is there a preferred kind of grip that seems to work best based on experience or should I just let my hands
find their way onto the club by what comes naturally?

I have used different kinds of grips over the years, interlock, overlap, even baseball. I tried the Hogan grip but
that felt too uncomfortable with the right hand. It also seems Hogan's grip changed over his career.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Horizon

Postby nfbandon » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:08 am

Horizon,

Welcome aboard. My own personal opinion is the Vardon, Hogan version of the Vardon, or the ten finger work the best because we use our right hand actively. However, I don't see why an interlocking grip would be incompatible with ABS. I do think the relative strength of your grip (where the knuckles point) will change as you work in mod 1.
nfbandon

Next

Return to In Search of the Great Ball Strikers