Postby nfbandon » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:09 am

I think it is very difficult to be a hitter without a wide base:
Hogan Wide Base.jpg
Hogan Wide Base.jpg (49.52 KiB) Viewed 5732 times

John Wide Base.jpg
John Wide Base.jpg (43.55 KiB) Viewed 5745 times

Knudson Wide Base.jpg
Knudson Wide Base.jpg (55.03 KiB) Viewed 5733 times

I think Moe Norman talked of the image of a pyramid.

Pyramid golfer.jpg
Pyramid golfer.jpg (58.05 KiB) Viewed 5715 times
;)
nfbandon

Re: How the Greats Setup

Postby lagpressure » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:35 am

wide_Stance.jpg
wide_Stance.jpg (91.01 KiB) Viewed 5683 times
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby LesMurray » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:37 am

I've always tried to have my feet shoulder width apart. But looking at these images, it appears that I should set up even wider, so that the instep of my feet should be just outside my shoulders. Funny how the Mod 2 board reinforces this, like John knew what he was talking about :lol:
LesMurray

Postby Hope » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:02 pm

imagesCA561X0S.jpg
imagesCA561X0S.jpg (4.54 KiB) Viewed 5605 times
Attachments
untitled.png
untitled.png (81.84 KiB) Viewed 5598 times
jim-furyk-15_600_0.jpg
NARROW
jim-furyk-15_600_0.jpg (51.91 KiB) Viewed 5634 times
imagesCAGGR6C3.jpg
imagesCAGGR6C3.jpg (10.02 KiB) Viewed 5588 times
imagesCAB5EHSL.jpg
imagesCAB5EHSL.jpg (7.6 KiB) Viewed 5602 times
Hope

Postby Hope » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:22 pm

imagesCAUNR1M9.jpg
imagesCAUNR1M9.jpg (4.98 KiB) Viewed 5577 times

NF wrote: "I think it is very difficult to be a hitter without a wide base"

I definitely see that many of the best ball strikers of all time have that wide base. Im not trying to disagree with you just interested in your estimation. I see your point but also wanted to point out that there are other really great "hitters" that do not have that wide base. I don't know that I see the advantage of the extreme wide base unless you have the crazy flexibility of Ben Hogan which 99% of us do not. I think that it would be interesting to experiment with this stuff! (but only after my year contract with the local yoga class expires :D )

So why do you think that it is very difficult to be a hitter without a wide base? It appears that ABS is fundamental on this.
Attachments
untitled.png
untitled.png (36.64 KiB) Viewed 5580 times
Hope

Postby nfbandon » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:27 pm

A wider base allows for more ROM and provides a more stable base, but most importantly it gives us the potential to feel more pressure in our feet and inner thighs. It isn't impossible to hit with a narrow base. Tiger has narrowed is stance since going with Foley and after his knee surgery...and was never a hitter as we define it anyway. Furyk isn't a hitter. Sergio...well I have always wanted to go up to him and kick his right leg out six inches just to see what happens...he has always looked awkwardly narrow. Faldo and Snead May not be super wide, but they certainly aren't narrow.
nfbandon

Postby k2baloo » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:54 pm

nfbandon wrote:A wider base allows for more ROM and provides a more stable base, but most importantly it gives us the potential to feel more pressure in our feet and inner thighs. It isn't impossible to hit with a narrow base. Tiger has narrowed is stance since going with Foley and after his knee surgery...and was never a hitter as we define it anyway. Furyk isn't a hitter. Sergio...well I have always wanted to go up to him and kick his right leg out six inches just to see what happens...he has always looked awkwardly narrow. Faldo and Snead May not be super wide, but they certainly aren't narrow.

ROM? Does that mean range of motion? For whatever reason I can't see why a wider base would allow for more range of motion? When I visualize it a wider base would seem to restrict motion a touch. Of course, I am not sure what you mean by ROM.

Also, how do you define hitters? I was under the impression Tiger is, especially with his irons and that Furyk always has been as well...
k2baloo

Postby Range Rat » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:29 am

Here's a short and interesting link re: base support and center of gravity.
http://www.humankinetics.com/excerpts/excerpts/five-factors-determine-stability-and-mobility
You're ahead of where you were, and behind where you're going.
Range Rat

Postby nfbandon » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:12 am

Yeah, range of motion. ROM in the sense that it gives you more width, and on a flatter swing plane. Think about it...most wide stance players swing flat. Regarding Tiger...I really have no idea what he is doing. RR interesting stuff...perhaps that is another reason many of the greats setup wide and pulled the back foot back. Hard to land an uppercut with a narrow, open stance.
nfbandon

Postby nfbandon » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:08 am

Faldo's base was plenty wide...at least back in the day:
Faldo Wide Base.jpg
Faldo Wide Base.jpg (39.42 KiB) Viewed 5434 times

I forgot to address Furyk, who has great control of his clubface through the strike. I view him as a dead hands, body pivot guy. He doesn't use forearm rotation to start the delivery sequence. So no, he is not a hitter in the ABS sense, IMO.
nfbandon

Next

Return to In Search of the Great Ball Strikers