How the Greats Setup

Hosted by Grady (NFBANDON)

Re: How the Greats Setup

Postby k2baloo » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:42 pm

I guess you could argue that a wider base could increase your width, but that doesn't even seem to be true unless you are using a wider base to promote a larger lateral move off the ball. However, I am assuming you mean width to be the distance the clubhead is from some centered, fixed point.
I do think you could argue that a wider base in some way could facilitate a flatter swing, which I suppose would look wider and more elliptical in a face on view. But I just think that is because the depth of a swing is not captured from that view.
As far as the Nick Faldo photo, the stance looks deceivingly wide because he is at the top of his swing so we can not compare the width of the stance to the width of the shoulders or hips. I think in general, he used a very average distance between his feet; certainly not wider than normal as far as I can tell.
Greg Norman also comes to mind as someone that has been discussed on this site as having a hitting action, yet his stance was on the narrow-average range in width.
k2baloo

Postby nfbandon » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:53 pm

I agree Greg had a narrow stance, and his right hip tended to not turn correctly. You see similar action in Furyk and even Sergio. Their right hip tends to go laterally rather than back.

As it regards Faldo, have you ever been face to face with the guy? He has very broad, wide shoulders. A shoulder width stance for him is still a wide base.

A wide base may move you laterally off the ball, but I don't see that as a swing flaw. It is not something to seek, but shouldn't be a concern if it happens as a result of making a good, full turn.
nfbandon

Postby k2baloo » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:55 pm

Yeah I wasn't saying that a lateral move is a flaw, I was just trying to make sense of the claim that a wider stance gives you more width in the swing.
And yeah, Faldo is a big man, but I think it would still be a stretch to say he had a wide stance. I wouldn't say he was narrow either, pretty standard IMO.
k2baloo

Postby Dcurrykc » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:09 am

Speaking of stance, check out this video about Lee Trevino and what he does with his feet before he hits. Pretty interesting. I think his body knows what he needs to do - he's not thinking about it at all. It's almost a body waggle move. http://youtu.be/trJTKg7RltY
Dcurrykc

Postby norcalvol » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:25 am

Great stuff. The ultimate play-by-feel player.
Oh... and hard work.
Accelerate forever!
norcalvol

Postby bullrambler » Sat May 17, 2014 3:31 am

I've gotta give my support to Slamming Sam Snead - He's my old time favorite. Ben Hogan is up there too, as is Bryon Nelson. I get what ABS is all about and after I complete the efforts with the irons - set up flat and heavy I'll work on the woods.
"It clobbering Time"
bullrambler

Postby chris_golf » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:46 pm

Two of the greats had the same setup...

I don´t think, that I am the first person who noticed that they "stacked" 5 body joints at SETUP:

5 joints Hogan1.jpg
5 joints Hogan1.jpg (32.82 KiB) Viewed 4311 times
5 joints Knudson1.jpg
5 joints Knudson1.jpg (26.87 KiB) Viewed 4319 times
5 joints Chris1.jpg
5 joints Chris1.jpg (22.12 KiB) Viewed 4301 times

Due to that my right leg is almost 1 inch longer my body wants always lean left... work in progress.
"a good golf swing makes good positions rather than good positions make a good golf swing"
chris_golf

Postby leverage » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:30 am

any thoughts on the pinched in right knee of like Hogan and Trevino with the set up?
leverage

Postby lagpressure » Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:06 pm

It's been a fairly common "trigger" to start the swing pinching in the right knee like a forward press to get things going or moving. Gary Player is the first to come to mind.

If a snap shot is taken during the pinch, that might be what you are seeing.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby Ded2Journey » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:08 am

lagpressure wrote:It's been a fairly common "trigger" to start the swing pinching in the right knee like a forward press to get things going or moving. Gary Player is the first to come to mind.

If a snap shot is taken during the pinch, that might be what you are seeing.

I've been toying with this recently...I like it a lot. It keeps the swing in sync and one connected motion through the backswing. Interesting stuff, it seems to really manage tempo/rythm as well.
"People have always been telling me what I can't do. I guess I have wanted to show them. That's been one of my driving forces all my life." -Ben Hogan
Ded2Journey

PreviousNext

Return to In Search of the Great Ball Strikers