How the Greats Setup

Hosted by Grady (NFBANDON)

Re: How the Greats Setup

Postby twomasters » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:39 am

If you watch just about ALL the good golfers they all had some type of trigger to start the swing....like some motion to enhance motion.
Nicklaus and Snead cocked their heads back behind the ball..... Fuzzy used to bounce the clubhead away to the outside of the ball.... Norman used to hover the club above the turf and it would move around wavering....Right knee pinch....hands push down on shaft....clubs tapping the ground (Payne Stewart putting)....forward presses and so on.
Good idea to start a motion by already creating a little motion...sometimes in an opposite direction is always better also to get the flow to grow....much harder to start from static
twomasters

Postby leverage » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:38 pm

Obvious now that you point it out... In fact a little embarrassed I did not see that earlier. The only trigger I have ever really noticed in folks swing is the forward press. I think the leg action trigger actually may be more intuitive if you are more pivot oriented with your swing.
leverage

Postby My3Sons » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:23 am

twomasters wrote:If you watch just about ALL the good golfers they all had some type of trigger to start the swing....like some motion to enhance motion.
Nicklaus and Snead cocked their heads back behind the ball..... Fuzzy used to bounce the clubhead away to the outside of the ball.... Norman used to hover the club above the turf and it would move around wavering....Right knee pinch....hands push down on shaft....clubs tapping the ground (Payne Stewart putting)....forward presses and so on.
Good idea to start a motion by already creating a little motion...sometimes in an opposite direction is always better also to get the flow to grow....much harder to start from static

Not that I'm claiming Spieth is one of the greats but I do see an example of a forward press trigger here and a motion that is in an opposite direction to start.

http://www.tubechop.com/watch/3800050

I have been fairly static in my setup and will explore an effective and repeatable motion to incorporate. As a relatively new golfer, I can say without a doubt a consistent, day-to-day rhythm/tempo to my swing is illusive. The modules have been effective in changing the sequence or firing order of the swing and even contributed to a better rhythm/tempo but I still have a tendency to see the rhythm/tempo as a 1-2-3 thing vs a complete, uninterrupted motion. I think Mod 4 will make Mods 1,2 and 3 a bit more connected and should help to improve my rhythm/tempo.

M3S
My3Sons

Postby leverage » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:45 pm

What are the benefits/drawbacks to a more upright vs more bent over position?
leverage

Postby norcalvol » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:45 pm

I think a more upright torso makes a level shoulder turn easier to accomplish.
Awhile ago I went to a more upright posture at address and I have a more level shoulder turn than before.
Accelerate forever!
norcalvol

Postby stevemcgee99 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:35 am

To switch from bent over to more upright - do you have to bend your knees more?
McGee
stevemcgee99

Postby My3Sons » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:34 am

stevemcgee99 wrote:To switch from bent over to more upright - do you have to bend your knees more?

Yes. More knee flex will allow for a more upright torso. An upright torso through the strike allows for a more level shoulder turn. Using a hitter's protocol, especially a frozen right arm through impact, you need some way to get back down to the ball. Proper knee flex allows you to do this and also establish a more consistent low point since the right arm is frozen through the strike. Good knee flex also has the added benefit of allowing the pivot to stay engaged post impact. If you fire and straighten the knee early, you will stall the pivot. There may be more to add but I think this covers the more general concepts.

M3S
My3Sons

Postby stevemcgee99 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:15 pm

Thanks. (I used to watch the show My Three Sons).

I bent my knees to be more upright, and a pro at the range said I should step back further and bend over. Felt awkward.
Now (from reading here, etc.) I know that my lie angle was probably off, too, from radically changing my stance and distance from the ball.
McGee
stevemcgee99

Postby My3Sons » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:46 pm

Hi Steve,

Here's a good thread on Knee Flex I found helpful.

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=871

M3S
My3Sons

Postby stevemcgee99 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:46 pm

Thanks!
McGee
stevemcgee99

PreviousNext

Return to In Search of the Great Ball Strikers