How the Greats Setup

Hosted by Grady (NFBANDON)

Re: How the Greats Setup

Postby Craig Toone » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:48 am

I don't think anyone posted here has an exceptionally large stance, lag aside.

Consider a wood is in their hands - I think a stance where inside of the heels are the width of the shoulders is spot on.
Craig Toone

Postby Mystery man » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:26 pm

Ever notice than many greats had the " squat " built into their stance at setup ? Sure squatting into right leg is dynamic ; However, presetting like Hogan and Snead might be a benefit

Love being a potential squatter

Love it
One in the oven
Mystery man

Postby jfischer13 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:16 pm

Dedjourney,

Just saw your post on upright spine angle in the golf swing and how your back has greatly improved. Im an osteopathic physician specializing in golf performance. I have been a student of lags for quite some time and switched to lags method after injuring my own back. At one point I thought I may never be able to play again but then i found lag. Luckily I avoided surgery through Osteopathic Hands on treatment and am enjoying my golf more then ever without any pain. From a biomechanical perspective the hitters protocol is fantastic and if performed correctly protects the spine.

Ive developed a few exercises that can help prevent injury and are complimentary to lags modules. If any of you ABS guys are having injuries of any kind I would be happy to offer my services.

You can find my info on my website. www.Osteopathicgolf.com

Take care of that back! Fairways and Greens!
Joshua Fischer
Osteopathic Golf
Osteopathicgolf.com
Instagram @osteopathicgolf
jfischer13

Postby Ded2Journey » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:25 am

jfischer13 wrote:Dedjourney,

Just saw your post on upright spine angle in the golf swing and how your back has greatly improved. Im an osteopathic physician specializing in golf performance. I have been a student of lags for quite some time and switched to lags method after injuring my own back. At one point I thought I may never be able to play again but then i found lag. Luckily I avoided surgery through Osteopathic Hands on treatment and am enjoying my golf more then ever without any pain. From a biomechanical perspective the hitters protocol is fantastic and if performed correctly protects the spine.

Ive developed a few exercises that can help prevent injury and are complimentary to lags modules. If any of you ABS guys are having injuries of any kind I would be happy to offer my services.

You can find my info on my website. http://www.Osteopathicgolf.com

Take care of that back! Fairways and Greens!

Joshua,

This is was a great addition to this thread. One thing I've always thought was incredible was how well Hogan hit the golf ball in those coleman videos. I've never seen a 70 year old hit it like that...
I'm going to check out your website today!

Thanks,
Jeremy
"People have always been telling me what I can't do. I guess I have wanted to show them. That's been one of my driving forces all my life." -Ben Hogan
Ded2Journey

Postby jfischer13 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:51 am

Jeremy,

Im in the process of filming my videos which will be available on my youtube channel soon.

Stay tuned

Josh Fischer
Joshua Fischer
Osteopathic Golf
Osteopathicgolf.com
Instagram @osteopathicgolf
jfischer13

Postby nfbandon » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:17 am

There has been an interesting discussion over on SITD on centripetal force. In thinking about it I have been modifying my setup to get my right side set higher, which seems to set up orbit pull or use of centripetal force better. Part of that is that Abe Mitchell counter wound right arm, which weakens the right hand grip. I now find Hogan's grip even more interesting.

nfbandon

Postby NRG » Wed May 06, 2015 5:39 am

bowing to the 4:30 line, back ball position.

Vardon.png
Vardon.png (63.52 KiB) Viewed 3705 times
Trevino.png
Trevino.png (150.05 KiB) Viewed 3713 times
NRG

Postby Knightwriter » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:56 pm

John,
When you say as you learn the strike the address takes care of itself, I can understand that to a point.

However, I have this thought that if I stand with my hands too low that it will be hard for me to have enough room to come back at the same hand position or even slightly lower with the shaft (like Sergio), unless I compensated and stood up in the backswing or something.

Having a normal looking posture to my eye and the club pointing just over my belt buckle is something that is sort of ingrained in my thought process.

So I sort of err on being neutral or even a bit up at address. Is this a good idea or should I just go with what ever happens naturally?
Knightwriter

Postby Ded2Journey » Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:05 am

Knightwriter wrote:John,
When you say as you learn the strike the address takes care of itself, I can understand that to a point.

However, I have this thought that if I stand with my hands too low that it will be hard for me to have enough room to come back at the same hand position or even slightly lower with the shaft (like Sergio), unless I compensated and stood up in the backswing or something.

Having a normal looking posture to my eye and the club pointing just over my belt buckle is something that is sort of ingrained in my thought process.

So I sort of err on being neutral or even a bit up at address. Is this a good idea or should I just go with what ever happens naturally?

Not speaking for John, but I have experienced a complete change of posture. Something about feeling the right delivery and exit angles changes your posture, backswing and stance.
"People have always been telling me what I can't do. I guess I have wanted to show them. That's been one of my driving forces all my life." -Ben Hogan
Ded2Journey

Previous

Return to In Search of the Great Ball Strikers