Analysis of Modern Golf Swings

Hosted by Grady (NFBANDON)

Re: Analysis of Modern Golf Swings

Postby k2baloo » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:57 am

I have low expectations for his return. How many does this make?

I'm with NF on this one. His swing looks off now, and given he's had struggles around the greens, I just can't see how he'll compete or win again. You never know, though.
k2baloo

Postby Wknhacker » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:51 am

This is 19 year old Japanese rookie golfer Erika Hara. I just love this swing. She is being coached by the legendary Jumbo Ozaki.

It's only a matter of time in my opinion before she joins the LPGA tour. 2 wins already this year on the JLPGA.

"I have a tip that can take five strokes off anyone's golf game: it's called an eraser." - Arnold Palmer
Wknhacker

Postby lagpressure » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:50 pm

k2baloo wrote:I have low expectations for his return. How many does this make?

I'm with NF on this one. His swing looks off now, and given he's had struggles around the greens, I just can't see how he'll compete or win again. You never know, though.

I would bet Tiger will win again. I have said this for quite some time also. He has his short game back, and he knows how to win golf tournaments obviously.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby lagpressure » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:12 pm

4.jpeg
4.jpeg (99.6 KiB) Viewed 427 times
7.jpeg
7.jpeg (33.08 KiB) Viewed 428 times

This is a very good golf swing.
Notice how she works the club from the top straight down into the right hip pocket.
This allows her to work her pivot aggressively through the strike. It's all green lights from there.

I don't like the idea of moving the hands out toward the ball from the top. This is much better and will give her
much more consistent ball striking results.

Also notice how flat she has the shaft at impact. This is the "heel heavy divot" feeling I have been preaching for years.
This moves her left vector of possibility to the right and toward the target. I would not expect this golf swing to produce many
"long and left" mishits.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby Wknhacker » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:19 am

I've notice on Jumbo's Youtube channel that he and his brothers have all of their students do tons of baseball swing drills. In the video below, one of the students is teeing up a softball really high and swinging a driver like a baseball bat. Am I correct to assume that they are trying to ingrain in the students the feeling of flattening out the shaft at transition and bringing that flat entry into impact? This for me is one of the hardest, if not the hardest, thing to do in the golf swing. To transition and flatten the shaft of the club where my left palm is facing up (I'm left handed) and bringing that flat entry to impact. It appears even good players find this move difficult.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8BsEN-RItg&t=48s
"I have a tip that can take five strokes off anyone's golf game: it's called an eraser." - Arnold Palmer
Wknhacker

Postby LesMurray » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:51 am

Wknhacker wrote:I've notice on Jumbo's Youtube channel that he and his brothers have all of their students do tons of baseball swing drills. In the video below, one of the students is teeing up a softball really high and swinging a driver like a baseball bat. Am I correct to assume that they are trying to ingrain in the students the feeling of flattening out the shaft at transition and bringing that flat entry into impact? This for me is one of the hardest, if not the hardest, thing to do in the golf swing. To transition and flatten the shaft of the club where my left palm is facing up (I'm left handed) and bringing that flat entry to impact. It appears even good players find this move difficult.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8BsEN-RItg&t=48s

Are you on Mod 5 and 6 yet? That will go a long way to helping that. Also, look at your backswing path. Lag recommended an outside to in loop for me to get the club slotted properly. YMMV
LesMurray

Postby Wknhacker » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:45 am

Les, I'm not currently an ABS student. So no, I haven't done any of the module work. But having read the posts by guys like yourself and Lag and purchased "Lessons from the deck" I get the concepts of ABS which I personally believe are correct with respect to acquiring a good golf swing.

Concepts such as flattening the shaft at transition, using the ground for leverage, level shoulder rotation trough the strike, cutting it left post impact etc. are things which I see in all the good strikers of the ball, past and present. What is absolutely fascinating to me at the moment is how so much of the baseball swing is similar to a good golf swing. I never played much baseball as a kid so it's really interesting to me how close the technique of both are to each other.
Wknhacker

Postby LesMurray » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:59 am

One of the keys to a good transition is having supple "oily" wrists while being able to maintain a firm grip. The Module 5 drill covers this with exercises to improve the wrist attitudes necessary for slotting and releasing the club.

Next thing is to look at your backswing and transition. Like I mentioned previously, John recommended an outside looping backswing to help me drop the club into the slot. Basically sending the club head almost out to the left then feeling like I loop it over my right shoulder at the top. Of course, none of this helps until you have a firm understanding on what impact is and how to release the club through the impact zone.
LesMurray

Postby Wknhacker » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:39 am

I agree that a good backswing, or more specifically a good shoulder turn/rotation in the backswing makes it easier to transition the club properly and come into impact from the 4:30 line. On the odd occasion when I do this the results are always good.
Wknhacker

Previous

Return to In Search of the Great Ball Strikers