equipment

Hosted by Grady (NFBANDON)

Re: equipment

Postby Ded2Journey » Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:38 am

twomasters wrote:I use 80g Diamana Blue in the driver which is tipped 2 1/2 inches. I use lower loft woods and the Diamana blue is a low launch shaft- basically designed with a high kick point to keep the flight down.
I use the same shaft in a 14 degree and a 16 degree- 90g- again both tipped 2 1/2 inches.Heavy graphite doesnt tend to work with the heads that well either.
The tipping of the graphite shaft has done absolute wonders and something I would recommend for anyone who has the chance to do such a thing. It absolutely minimizes any upshoot or spin because the head is so much more stable and it eliminates the shaft kick due to fibres that can be inconsistent.
I would preferably use steel in modern woods but they just dont work as well with the head design. Also I dont use any extra weight (tape on the head) as I think that doesnt suit their design either. I use weights in the head (depending on the model) but only 5g or less and never mismatch them. If there is a heel and a toe weight keep them the same- not one heavy and one light as they tend to produce them with.
Obviously I get my gear for free and have been able to fool around with a bunch of different combos to find what works best- but that is the best way I have come across to have woods that dont go straight up- dont overspin and are best for control and ability to HIT them consistently without the shaft causing trouble

TM, once I figured out how to counterweight the grips and tip the steel shafts properly (roughly 3 inches) I found a brand new world. One that forced me to work on Drill 1-3 a lot more, with a lot more focus on the details. I'm not saying I've got it figured out, but I understand now why Hogan played with such a heavy driver, stiff shafts and two pins in hosel. It's all about torque, right? So...now, I know when my impact sequences with my post impact intentions.

I've fooled around with every diamana variation I could, but steel seems to be the best way to manage the proper release. It's no wonder my irons are so much more consistent day to day than my graphite woods/hybrids. I'm still toying with it, but the driver is pretty damn consistent. X100, 3" tipped, 30g butt weighting, 6g lead tape on head (you'll have to toy with where you place the tape based on your driver model--I use the J33R).

The reason I bring this up is because I know you like to tinker...if you have the free time to set one up.
"People have always been telling me what I can't do. I guess I have wanted to show them. That's been one of my driving forces all my life." -Ben Hogan
Ded2Journey

Postby LesMurray » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:11 pm

I just went through an online club fitting for new Hogan clubs - just to see what they would recommend.

I tried to specify my current clubs but they don't have all the options necessary to map my current setup. I believe my length is standard, but they could be 1/2" short to modern standards. They only will allow up to 3* flat, whereas mine are 10* flat. And of course I can't specify my Tommy Armour persimmon woods.

They came up with an interesting recommendation - first they want you to carry six clubs that you can hit from 130 yds and in. I only carry 4 - 8i, 9i, PW, SW. I generally only use my SW from the sand. I generally use PW from the fairway unless my lie is extremely fluffy. Their claim with my set is that I have too large a gap between clubs. Now, they never asked what my lofts were for my clubs. They assumed my 8i was 38* whereas it is actually 40*. They also assumed my PW was 46* whereas mine is 50*. So basically according to the new Ben Hogan Golf Equipment Company, I should be carrying 4 wedges (58*, 54*, 50*, 48*) plus 9i and 8i for my scoring clubs. For me from 135 yds and in I have hit anything from a 6 iron to my PW or even SW depending on how I am trying to bring the ball into the hole.

Would Mr. Hogan approve of his new company and this approach?
LesMurray

Postby k2baloo » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:13 am

Who knows what Mr. Hogan would think, I say everyone on the internet should just let the man rest in peace. There are too many pretending to speak for him and it gets a little crazy at times.

As for me I'm pretty happy with some of the things that the new Hogan clubs do. Many modern clubs have larger gaps in the short/mid irons and shorter gaps in the long irons as manufacturers have tried to make 7 irons go further and further. I like the idea of being able to pick all the lofts in the set to match what you want to do. The head designs look o.k., definitely not a vintage Hogan blade, but not terrible either. Not sure about those sole grinds, but who knows... and they are charging 150 per club. So overall, I agree it's not a terrific offering, but also not bad compared to what's out there and at least they are trying to do something new.
k2baloo

Postby Paul C » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:44 am

LesMurray wrote:I just went through an online club fitting for new Hogan clubs - just to see what they would recommend.

I tried to specify my current clubs but they don't have all the options necessary to map my current setup. I believe my length is standard, but they could be 1/2" short to modern standards. They only will allow up to 3* flat, whereas mine are 10* flat. And of course I can't specify my Tommy Armour persimmon woods.

They came up with an interesting recommendation - first they want you to carry six clubs that you can hit from 130 yds and in. I only carry 4 - 8i, 9i, PW, SW. I generally only use my SW from the sand. I generally use PW from the fairway unless my lie is extremely fluffy. Their claim with my set is that I have too large a gap between clubs. Now, they never asked what my lofts were for my clubs. They assumed my 8i was 38* whereas it is actually 40*. They also assumed my PW was 46* whereas mine is 50*. So basically according to the new Ben Hogan Golf Equipment Company, I should be carrying 4 wedges (58*, 54*, 50*, 48*) plus 9i and 8i for my scoring clubs. For me from 135 yds and in I have hit anything from a 6 iron to my PW or even SW depending on how I am trying to bring the ball into the hole.

Would Mr. Hogan approve of his new company and this approach?

I carry four wedges. In the bag are a PW and a 56. I use the other two to tenderize steaks and kill spiders. So, yes, it's critical to carry four, maybe even five wedges.
Paul C

Postby nfbandon » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:17 am

Just got some 92' Hogan Apex Grinds with Apex 5s. I have had Hogan sets in the past and frankly didn't love them, but this set is different. First of all they setup with an open bias, which I like. They do have a slight offset, which I don't like. The heads are extremely small, which I like. But most of all they feel just great. Very balanced. I have come to love Hogan apex 5s. I now can put together a full set of Hogan woods and irons with 5s. If you can find some 92' Grinds with Apex 5s consider buying them. These are special clubs.
nfbandon

Postby k2baloo » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:45 am

nfbandon wrote:Just got some 92' Hogan Apex Grinds with Apex 5s. I have had Hogan sets in the past and frankly didn't love them, but this set is different. First of all they setup with an open bias, which I like. They do have a slight offset, which I don't like. The heads are extremely small, which I like. But most of all they feel just great. Very balanced. I have come to love Hogan apex 5s. I now can put together a full set of Hogan woods and irons with 5s. If you can find some 92' Grinds with Apex 5s consider buying them. These are special clubs.

I saw this auction if it was the 1-sw set that looked to be in terrific condition. I haven't played Hogan apex 5s, but will keep an eye out. Enjoy that beautiful set!
k2baloo

Postby LesMurray » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:18 am

nfbandon wrote:Just got some 92' Hogan Apex Grinds with Apex 5s. I have had Hogan sets in the past and frankly didn't love them, but this set is different. First of all they setup with an open bias, which I like. They do have a slight offset, which I don't like. The heads are extremely small, which I like. But most of all they feel just great. Very balanced. I have come to love Hogan apex 5s. I now can put together a full set of Hogan woods and irons with 5s. If you can find some 92' Grinds with Apex 5s consider buying them. These are special clubs.

I have a similar set that I bought new back in '92. Mine were '90 models bought on closeout. I agree they are a great club. I bought mine with 4 shafts (if I had only known then...). They are about an ounce or so light so I plan to eventually send them up to Mike for weighting and lie. They are about 2* flat right now.

I believe these clubs have square grooves, so I might have to send them off to be re-grooved if I ever game these in USGA events.
LesMurray

Postby Mystery man » Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:58 pm

Sounds bad .. But I'm doing this program now with senior irons and hybrids. Still use my Persimmion driver (which I love ). If I keep on just feeling the drills and trusting them than no reason any club should work. I also had my senior irons bent 4 degrees flat

They are on the lite side, but the less weight actually lets me drop it easier behind me and square the face. I played around with adding excess swing weight and such and i could never close the face. Maybe I'm wrong here , but if you are really ingraining this motion than any club should work
One in the oven
Mystery man

Postby eagle » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:17 pm

NFB,
Continuing to enjoy this thread.
I have a few Hogan sets, but not the Grinds. It seems Hogan irons tend to "run light," contrary to what we hear about Hogan's personal set. Wondering if you need, or plan, to modify your set weight-wise?
Does anyone know why the Hogan irons were light?
eagle
eagle

Postby k2baloo » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:19 pm

Mystery man wrote:Sounds bad .. But I'm doing this program now with senior irons and hybrids. Still use my Persimmion driver (which I love ). If I keep on just feeling the drills and trusting them than no reason any club should work. I also had my senior irons bent 4 degrees flat

They are on the lite side, but the less weight actually lets me drop it easier behind me and square the face. I played around with adding excess swing weight and such and i could never close the face. Maybe I'm wrong here , but if you are really ingraining this motion than any club should work

Do what you have to do to enjoy the game and progress. I am actually the opposite of you though, I find heavier clubs are easier to square at impact. I hit a lot of wipey fades with the lighter stuff.
k2baloo

PreviousNext

Return to In Search of the Great Ball Strikers