equipment

Hosted by Grady (NFBANDON)

Re: equipment

Postby k2baloo » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:23 pm

eagle wrote:
nfbandon wrote:Just got some 92' Hogan Apex Grinds with Apex 5s. I have had Hogan sets in the past and frankly didn't love them, but this set is different. First of all they setup with an open bias, which I like. They do have a slight offset, which I don't like. The heads are extremely small, which I like. But most of all they feel just great. Very balanced. I have come to love Hogan apex 5s. I now can put together a full set of Hogan woods and irons with 5s. If you can find some 92' Grinds with Apex 5s consider buying them. These are special clubs.

NFB,
Continuing to enjoy this thread.
I have a few Hogan sets, but not the Grinds. It seems Hogan irons tend to "run light," contrary to what we hear about Hogan's personal set. Wondering if you need, or plan, to modify your set weight-wise?
Does anyone know why the Hogan irons were light?
eagle

I think it depends on the model. Some of the older Hogans were very heavy. I posted the head weights for my Power Thrust irons and they are hefty. But they did get lighter over time; I am not sure what the reasoning is for that. Maybe the idea is that it's much easier to add weight to a head than it is to take weight away. It could be based on consumer feedback and testing as well.
k2baloo

Postby nfbandon » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:00 am

I haven't checked swingweight or deadweight. I am certain the deadweight is significantly lighter than ABS specs. Robo gave me a Hogan driver and 4 wood a while back with apex pro 5s, that have not been ABSed. I am going to play these woods and irons for a while and see if I miss the extra weight. At 55 with RA I am starting to feel that deadweight is a bit much for me, partly because a recent move has not allowed me to do any bag work.
nfbandon

Postby superslotter07 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:52 am

Les Murray
I have admired your swings that you have posted. Todays manufacturers are trying to get the PW at 45 or 46 thus creating a need for more wedges. I have been playing a 59/53/47
setup for years.
Are you sure your current clubs are 10 degrees flat? I believe that my 5 iron is 56 or 57 degree lie angle which is approximately 4-5 degrees flat. 10 degrees seems very, very flat.
If I remember correctly you can build a set of the new Hogans by loft which should be fairly easy to then get the correct yardage gaps
superslotter07

Postby LesMurray » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:02 am

superslotter07 wrote:Les Murray
I have admired your swings that you have posted. Todays manufacturers are trying to get the PW at 45 or 46 thus creating a need for more wedges. I have been playing a 59/53/47
setup for years.
Are you sure your current clubs are 10 degrees flat? I believe that my 5 iron is 56 or 57 degree lie angle which is approximately 4-5 degrees flat. 10 degrees seems very, very flat.
If I remember correctly you can build a set of the new Hogans by loft which should be fairly easy to then get the correct yardage gaps

I had Mike bend them to 2* flatter than John's specs - I want a 53* 5-iron. That keeps me from digging the heel in at contact.

Right now I have 9 iron at 44* loft, PW at 50*, and SW at 56*
LesMurray

Previous

Return to In Search of the Great Ball Strikers