Analysis of Steel Age Golf Swings

Hosted by Grady (NFBANDON)

Re: Analysis of Steel Age Golf Swings

Postby LesMurray » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:17 pm

Knightwriter wrote:I'm not doubting Greg was a great player, but there are things in his swing I don't get.

The transition move and the way the club seems to come in steeply. I don't really understand how they are good moves, but the rest of it is obviously great athletic moves and great acceleration.

I'm new to this so just asking a question, not saying it is wrong or can't work etc.

Regarding golf arguments on golf wrx and that. I find that stuff hilarious. I have no inclination to argue about golf. I'm a player, not a keyboard warrior.

I really don't like that stuff and actively avoid it in life and on the internet. It's pure peanut gallery nonsense. Get in the arena and take action. Then you can talk, and even then only if it is helpful. Otherwise it is just tittle tattle so go over with the other tittle tattlers and don't annoy the real players.

That's my attitude to that stuff. It's just noise, I wouldn't even give it the light of day.

The Shark was one of the best drivers of the golf ball with a persimmon wood and balata ball. His footwork is probably as best as it gets. His pivot and acceleration through the ball were ferocious. And Bradley did well to emulate him, as evidence by how well his career has gone. His swing (and Faldo's and Price's) is a little more upright than Hogan or others from the previous generation. This could be a function of club setup as their clubs were not as flat as Hogan's. Remember also that Norman used Nicklaus as his model. He still does a good job laying off the club and swinging "on plane" as we here understand it.

I like to watch his swing as it gives me a real good feeling of how we rotate through the ball and accelerate post impact. He could make the ball explode off the club like few could.
LesMurray

Postby Knightwriter » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:25 am

Without a doubt a great striker. I just don't fully get his swing. It looks steep coming in. Faldo and price really lay the shaft on the way down.

I probably just don't understand enough yet.
Knightwriter

Postby Knightwriter » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:48 am

Maybe Greg was inhumanly strong, so he could come in steep and still keep the club moving all the way?

I know he hit a lot of balls and was big into strength and conditioning.

This game is so much more about building athleticism and strength at the top end of striking than the golf industry would like us to believe imo.

I'm feeling that with the module work. My forearms, torso, legs and even upper body are all getting much stronger. And I already work out!

The abs module work really gets at the golf muscles.
Knightwriter

Postby stevemcgee99 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:21 am

My blazer arms are getting to be too tight, and the chest pulls in and lifts the collar now. #thanksabs

Regarding arguments on forums - especially when it comes to something like physical activity, it's near impossible to really impart all you want to share in text. It's the 'knowledge transfer' problem that a Toyota guy Nonaka pointed out in his SECI theory of knowledge.

Gist of it: tacit knowledge, like all that we experience in a golf swing in the conditions we play, is not even explicit to ourselves. So trying to convert tacit knowledge to explicit knowledge in order to communicate it through text is a challenge barely worth tackling.

That's why Mr. Miyagi says, 'paint the fence', and Lag says, 'bow to the 4:30 line'. Both of those things package the knowledge in a way we can receive it, without confusing us with countless distractions. Metaphor and analogy can work well when relaying tacit knowledge.

TL;DR: arguing about golf on a forum is an exercise in disagreeing with points you didn't understand and making statements that are misunderstood.
McGee
stevemcgee99

Postby k2baloo » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:00 pm

k2baloo

Postby Ded2Journey » Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:08 pm

K2,

Great share. Not sure he was a steel age golf swing, but I sure enjoyed every second of the video. I love his patience in the takeaway/transition, sync up at P3 and then just lightning. Perfect balance too. Much to learn from this swing I do believe...
"People have always been telling me what I can't do. I guess I have wanted to show them. That's been one of my driving forces all my life." -Ben Hogan
Ded2Journey

Postby golfingplease » Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:21 pm

IMO best model swing
golfingplease

Postby golfingplease » Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:28 pm

Very good hand path. Over and in on downswing. Deep turn.
golfingplease

Postby LesMurray » Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:41 pm

How about Mark Calcavecchia? Here is his winning shot in the 1989 Open Championships playoff

Looks like his swing has not aged well. Here is his recent swing from the 2014 Masters

LesMurray

Postby twomasters » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:52 am

Calc in my opinion always had a very strong & superior left side pull beyond impact. Was very evident when he was at the heights of his game (and as shown in that 89 Open video above).
twomasters

PreviousNext

Return to In Search of the Great Ball Strikers