Going thru a golf program-method with no camera

Hosted by Grady (NFBANDON)

Going thru a golf program-method with no camera

Postby Mystery man » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:32 pm

Hello gents-ladies
Looking to get some feedback on this(hopefully constructive).Would it be possible to go thru a program Hughes-Abs or any other with no camera at all?.Just learn it all via feels and ball flight feedback only?You look at the greats,and I'm very doubtful they dwelled on camera looks.Personally I'm going to try a challenge to myself.Practice daily and just keep a log-mental note of the ball flight during that session utilizing all i learned and using without seeing it on film.Than do a quick shoot mid summer and maybe late fall to see what has changed for the better or worse.Really curious to see what the results maybe.Im positive the one thing that will improve will be the score.

Is this possible ? Or in the modern era not a possibility?
One in the oven
Mystery man

Re: Going thru a golf program-method with no camera

Postby LesMurray » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:20 pm

In ABS/BH program the video is for them not you.

There are on-line programs that don't require a video - Tathata Golf comes to mind.
LesMurray

Postby norcalvol » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:48 pm

The drills are designed to get you what you desire. But the video aspect is to make sure you are perfecting the drills. The drills are the means to an end. Without the means, there is no end.
Accelerate forever!
norcalvol

Postby Ded2Journey » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:45 am

I'm redoing the drills currently, daily (plus some extra stuff I've added). I waited about a month to look at video and I am incredibly pleased. I highly recommend this.

However, I will add a caveat--you must make the drill work HIGH QUALITY, not quantity. I only complete about 10-20 reps a day of each drill/module (including advanced ones). The more I focus on the finer "feels" and details I learned in past lessons (full body cohesion, etc.) the better the ball striking. It is very interesting and I believe a way to accelerate the imprinting on your neural connections (swing DNA). Feel is the new real...

Of course, you have to have completed all the drills previously. This would not work for a first time student.

Best of luck.
"People have always been telling me what I can't do. I guess I have wanted to show them. That's been one of my driving forces all my life." -Ben Hogan
Ded2Journey

Postby lagpressure » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:54 am

Certainly benefits from doing drills etc, but to really perfect them and get the most out of them, it's best that they are done correctly.

No matter how detailed a video instruction, diagrams, supplementary additions etc, I'm always amazed how poorly many students initial attempts are at copying the motions that have been presented... for example the ABS Module work. Very few nail it and get it right no matter how many times I repeat an important concept. Further guidance seems to be needed.

In the old days, players would travel to see instructors. Those instructors would watch the players and make sure any drills were being executed properly.

The video and internet simply allows me to see the student as if they were right here. Ball flight will come over time as the proper moves are integrated into the players swing DNA.

Many students will come here to "the deck" for personal instruction once the basics have been incorporated for fine tuning etc.
However, many students have had fantastic improvements just from doing the online module work.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby k2baloo » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:55 am

I think a camera can be both good and bad - like almost any tool.
The main thing is to learn constructively from the feedback it gives without losing confidence over the fact that you don't look perfect.
I love watching my swing on video even though it is far from perfect. I used to hate it because I had preconceived notions about what it should look like, and that caused confidence issues. Don't work too hard to manipulate how the swing looks on camera. Looks will come as you make real changes in your game.
If you are working with Lag/Brad/other instructor, let them give feedback on the video rather than you freaking out about how the way things look.
k2baloo

Postby LesMurray » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:28 am

And get off Melvin's site... Bradley is all you need.
LesMurray

Postby Stu Carlburger » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:18 pm

k2baloo wrote:I think a camera can be both good and bad - like almost any tool.
The main thing is to learn constructively from the feedback it gives without losing confidence over the fact that you don't look perfect.

This ^^^

One of the things that I notice in myself is just this: I lose confidence when I don't see the things I'm looking for on video. However, since going through ABS info (I'm signing up with Bradely here shortly) I'm amazed at how much things have actually changed. But, that being said, old habits die hard and changes tend to be slow and incremental -- especially when comparing oneself to technical masters.

I'm just pleased I don't see that horrible goat humping anymore!
Stu Carlburger

Postby stevemcgee99 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:56 pm

I read a LOT here, watched videos online (the one's posted by this forum's members) before I started the modules.

The first several videos I sent to Lag of mod 1 got the same feedback - more spine tilt.

Sure thought I understood it, but obviously not. Felt like tilt, but obviously not. I'm not the same as everyone, but in my case feel needs to be educated. See what's happening from an objective viewpoint helps that a lot.
McGee
stevemcgee99

Return to In Search of the Great Ball Strikers