A conversation in the making...

Hosted by Grady (NFBANDON)

Re: A conversation in the making...

Postby Paul C » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:34 am

Great topic and all well and good. Just remember that even Hogan would walk down fairways holding a club working on grip and swing. Also if you've been to a Tour event you'll see players working on some mechanical thought while waiting their turn to hit. I'm not suggesting a checklist of things but most will work on one mechanical thing during in-round play, certainly the first two days and if they happen to be in the lead on the back nine on Sunday, maybe not so much. Actually this would be a great question to ask them.
Paul C

Postby stevemcgee99 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:48 pm

Ded2Journey wrote:...what do you trust when the A and B game are MIA?

Just about every round for me.

In my case I improvise. A little while back my ball was sitting on dry, cracked mud in a 5-foot depression right and below the green, about 30 feet from the flag. I used a 4-iron. Seemed the most likely club to pick the ball up without touching the hard, jagged dirt edges.

I guess I trust my feelings. I let go.
McGee
stevemcgee99

Postby Ded2Journey » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:10 am

Paul C wrote:Great topic and all well and good. Just remember that even Hogan would walk down fairways holding a club working on grip and swing. Also if you've been to a Tour event you'll see players working on some mechanical thought while waiting their turn to hit. I'm not suggesting a checklist of things but most will work on one mechanical thing during in-round play, certainly the first two days and if they happen to be in the lead on the back nine on Sunday, maybe not so much. Actually this would be a great question to ask them.

One or two swing thoughts for the day, triggers if you will, are great--but are you advocating that a swing can be fixed mid round?
"People have always been telling me what I can't do. I guess I have wanted to show them. That's been one of my driving forces all my life." -Ben Hogan
Ded2Journey

Postby Paul C » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:02 am

There was a European Tour player, can't remember his name, on Golf Channel the other night on the range with Breed at the Arnold Palmer Invitational and he talked about his big miss tendency and his biomechanical fix for it and he was very specific about what he had to do during a round to make sure that shot didn't come into play. But yes, I believe you go with what you've got. But you fix yourself mid round I'm sure, if things get shaky ballstriking wise. That's where those post round range sessions come in handy, I guess.
Paul C

Postby golfingplease » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:22 pm

Golf competitive season is kicking up so im focusing on scoring. I recently saw a plus capper posting on wrx with poorer mechanics than I and it set off a realization for me that I need to refine my aim more than my mechanics.

One thing I've added to my practice routine has been chipping 10, 15, 20 yard shots into a small bucket. It has improved the focus of my hands and the clubface to my target. This focus has helped my full swings as well.
golfingplease

Postby LesMurray » Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:23 am

golfingplease wrote:One thing I've added to my practice routine has been chipping 10, 15, 20 yard shots into a small bucket. It has improved the focus of my hands and the clubface to my target. This focus has helped my full swings as well.

I was watching a Matt Christian video the other day where he was talking about how a lot of golfers as kids spent a lot of their time hitting shots around the greens. His point was that these players developed tremendous hand-eye coordination, club face awareness, and how the club was striking the ground. Sounds like anything we can do to refine our feeling for the club and distance can only help.

Good luck on your season - shoot straight and shoot low.
LesMurray

Postby golfingplease » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:49 pm

LesMurray wrote:
golfingplease wrote:One thing I've added to my practice routine has been chipping 10, 15, 20 yard shots into a small bucket. It has improved the focus of my hands and the clubface to my target. This focus has helped my full swings as well.

I was watching a Matt Christian video the other day where he was talking about how a lot of golfers as kids spent a lot of their time hitting shots around the greens. His point was that these players developed tremendous hand-eye coordination, club face awareness, and how the club was striking the ground. Sounds like anything we can do to refine our feeling for the club and distance can only help.

Good luck on your season - shoot straight and shoot low.

This is something i feel ive lost that saddens me a bit. I learned golf young, had a quickly rotating clubface and hip stall but i was never scared around the greens, never shanked the ball. Since learning a more pivot driven swing i dont utilize bounce as well as i used to and will occasionally shank the ball.

I need to remember to cast the club when using the bounce, it works well.
golfingplease

Postby LesMurray » Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:05 pm

golfingplease wrote:This is something i feel ive lost that saddens me a bit. I learned golf young, had a quickly rotating clubface and hip stall but i was never scared around the greens, never shanked the ball. Since learning a more pivot driven swing i dont utilize bounce as well as i used to and will occasionally shank the ball.

I need to remember to cast the club when using the bounce, it works well.

I have always found these videos of Elk and Phil Rodgers very educational when it comes to wedge play. From these videos I gather the key to getting the bounce into play is to not let the hands move forward of address at impact.

LesMurray

Postby lagpressure » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:43 pm

I suppose a lot of golf "mental" books make the assumption that the golfer is trying to relax during the swing and that controlling the mind is going to help the golfer stay in that relaxed state of mind. That's the "swinging mindset, and in that respect I would agree.

However, a hitter has a different experience going on in the body. The hitter's body is tight in muscular contraction. Nervous energy can actually enhance that cohesive connection.

I've competed with both... swinging in my younger years, and hitting later on in my pro career. As adrenalin would set in, it just firmed up my swing and rotation, and the only adjustment I would have to make was to respect that I would be hitting the ball slightly farther. I would say between half a club and a full club difference. Over time, you get a feel for it... even with partial shots.

Trying to relax is difficult when you are nervous. I think a hitting method gives you the confidence to really own your swing under the gun.

You still have to think clearly and play strategically, but I would rather focus on that than worry about trying to get my body to react in a way it doesn't want to.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby Ded2Journey » Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:32 am

lagpressure wrote:I suppose a lot of golf "mental" books make the assumption that the golfer is trying to relax during the swing and that controlling the mind is going to help the golfer stay in that relaxed state of mind. That's the "swinging mindset, and in that respect I would agree.

However, a hitter has a different experience going on in the body. The hitter's body is tight in muscular contraction. Nervous energy can actually enhance that cohesive connection.

I've competed with both... swinging in my younger years, and hitting later on in my pro career. As adrenalin would set in, it just firmed up my swing and rotation, and the only adjustment I would have to make was to respect that I would be hitting the ball slightly farther. I would say between half a club and a full club difference. Over time, you get a feel for it... even with partial shots.

Trying to relax is difficult when you are nervous. I think a hitting method gives you the confidence to really own your swing under the gun.

You still have to think clearly and play strategically, but I would rather focus on that than worry about trying to get my body to react in a way it doesn't want to.

As a hitter...Would you say you're just maintaining pressures and focusing on mechanics--or would you say that you're maintaining pressures and trying to hit it pure?

I guess target awareness is huge here as well, but I'm more focused on letting go of what happens behind me now, and just want to focus on target, tempo and purity of strike. I know we would love if you could elaborate on this Lag or TM... SIMPLY: When you've drilled the "hit" into your DNA...what do you think about on the course to let it flow?
"People have always been telling me what I can't do. I guess I have wanted to show them. That's been one of my driving forces all my life." -Ben Hogan
Ded2Journey

PreviousNext

Return to In Search of the Great Ball Strikers