A conversation in the making...

Hosted by Grady (NFBANDON)

Re: A conversation in the making...

Postby golfingplease » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:57 am

I think an important thing to add is getting into game mode takes time. If you're still actively changing mechanics, you won't be able to leave mechanics behind like the flip of a switch. It's a process, a changing of the guard.
golfingplease

Postby lagpressure » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:45 am

The process is fairly simple for me...

I decide what kind of shot I am going to hit.... draw, fade, low, high etc and most importantly the INTENSITY of the strike ... I see the shot in my mind.
I then attach a swing feel in my mind that will produce that shot.
If it is not a shot I am hitting often, I might take a few practice swings to rehearse.
Once I feel that in my body, I lock it in... as a whole, as one entire quick motion or action.
I address the ball keeping that ENTIRE action and INTENSITY fresh in my minds eye.
I commit to that action and INTENSITY and execute it with great conviction.
I live with the results.

The beautiful thing about the ABS process is ultimately mastering Mods 8 and 9... really 9... because that deals with
drawing and fading the ball. Those are broken down into two completely polar body sensations that are very tangible and
rehearsed. Mod 8 takes the pressure off being overly concerned about alignment.

So if I am leaving the ball out to the right, I just know I need more of the draw feel, and I will drill that in my next practice swing motion. Likewise the opposite. Both are big post impact opposing force sensations. No micro managing of little things at address or backswing stuff... none of that.

If I am playing any amount of golf at all... my gear is taking hard pulls or left shots out of the game. Unless I am hitting a trick shot, hooking the ball is not in my bag.

So it's really very simple. I simply am regulating the big tangible post impact opposing forces and their intensity.
Commit, execute, go play the next shot.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby gtk48fpu » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:08 pm

LesMurray wrote:This topic is so important for me at this time. I am beginning to strike the ball much better and am now focused on converting that into better scoring. The process of hitting the shot is becoming much more important than the outcome of the shot.

What I am working on now is developing a pre-shot routine that has me focus on a target and visualizing shot shape. It's tough for me because I still find myself having swing thoughts in my motion. If I can choose a very specific target and imagine the shot shape to go along with that target and identify the feelings to go along with that shot shape things generally work out pretty well. Then I judge my shot not on the outcome (or at least try not to) but rather 1) did I follow my process and 2) how close does my shot come to what I visualized.

There's a Canadian instructor named Shawn Clement (probably you've heard of him, he's all over the interwebs) and the one thing I like about him is he teaches his students to be very external focused - pick a target - and to develop repeatable feels for a given shot. These feels are centered on how the body feels in regards to hitting towards a target and how the club feels as it moves through the shot. I use these ideas as general ideas about how I develop my feels for hitting to my target and feeling the shot. Combining these with Mod 8 and 9 feels on how the hands feel pressures of the shot and shaping the shot and I am starting to build my "catalog" of feels for how my shot should be executed.

Now, as part of my developing pre-shot routine, I use the waggle to simulate the feels in the hands of how I want to shape the shot. I know a lot of this is shot-making 101 but my prior swing I was never aware of these elements in my swing as I was very passive with the hands. Now I feel very active with the hands (in the right place).

The mind is a very powerful tool and when one focuses on a target (or goal) the mind tries to do everything in its power to achieve that goal. The variable is focus and the more target-focused I can become for my shot the better it seems to turn out. It comes down to trusting the motion and letting the mind take care of the details while I focus on the goal.

I know this question is a little out of the content of these subjects. But what is your guys opinion on the most efficient way to keep the face nice and passive from hip high to hip high approximately?
gtk48fpu

Postby Ded2Journey » Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:09 am

lagpressure wrote:The process is fairly simple for me...

I decide what kind of shot I am going to hit.... draw, fade, low, high etc and most importantly the INTENSITY of the strike ... I see the shot in my mind.
I then attach a swing feel in my mind that will produce that shot.
If it is not a shot I am hitting often, I might take a few practice swings to rehearse.
Once I feel that in my body, I lock it in... as a whole, as one entire quick motion or action.
I address the ball keeping that ENTIRE action and INTENSITY fresh in my minds eye.
I commit to that action and INTENSITY and execute it with great conviction.
I live with the results.

The beautiful thing about the ABS process is ultimately mastering Mods 8 and 9... really 9... because that deals with
drawing and fading the ball. Those are broken down into two completely polar body sensations that are very tangible and
rehearsed. Mod 8 takes the pressure off being overly concerned about alignment.

So if I am leaving the ball out to the right, I just know I need more of the draw feel, and I will drill that in my next practice swing motion. Likewise the opposite. Both are big post impact opposing force sensations. No micro managing of little things at address or backswing stuff... none of that.

If I am playing any amount of golf at all... my gear is taking hard pulls or left shots out of the game. Unless I am hitting a trick shot, hooking the ball is not in my bag.

So it's really very simple. I simply am regulating the big tangible post impact opposing forces and their intensity.
Commit, execute, go play the next shot.

Lag, thank you for that! Mastering this takes time and endurance I imagine...seriously, thank you for sharing with all of us.
"People have always been telling me what I can't do. I guess I have wanted to show them. That's been one of my driving forces all my life." -Ben Hogan
Ded2Journey

Postby stevemcgee99 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:33 am

Yes, thanks for writing that. It's something I forget all the time.

Of course to support that capability I'm sure I have to drill much more than I have already, and hit many many more balls, so I have some 'data' inside to draw upon.

But that's a lot like how I putt, and it works.
McGee
stevemcgee99

Postby lagpressure » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:25 pm

stevemcgee99 wrote:Yes, thanks for writing that. It's something I forget all the time.

Of course to support that capability I'm sure I have to drill much more than I have already, and hit many many more balls, so I have some 'data' inside to draw upon.

But that's a lot like how I putt, and it works.

I wouldn't necessarily look at it that way....
Better to pick the shot you KNOW you can pull off.. whatever that is... even if it's an OTT carping slice. Consider the wind, where it is most likely to miss, and what kind of leave you might have for there. Just think percentages or probable outcomes. From there.... same process.

Don't attempt a shot you are not comfortable with. Try those shots when you are out on the course by yourself late in the afternoon etc. I'm a big believer that practicing out on the course is the best place to build confidence.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby stevemcgee99 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:38 pm

Well since I play by myself pretty much 95% of the time, that's what I've been doing.

Sunday night at Lincoln I was all alone and played several ball (lost a lot, too. 100% rough out there!). Played 9 yesterday at Gleneagles, more than one ball. Trying to fade, draw (still haven't figured that one out). I prefer practice on the course to the range. The range feels so detached from real life. And the balls are WAY too harsh for my clubs.

I'd like to go to a shag ball hitting area. Seems like that's what is at Lincoln, and I saw one at San Jose muni.
McGee
stevemcgee99

Postby golfingplease » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:17 pm

http://m.imgur.com/7nfwOJt

Got the impact a little too far to the toe. Using impact tape to try and fix that with proper focus.
golfingplease

Postby Ded2Journey » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:06 pm

golfingplease wrote:http://m.imgur.com/7nfwOJt

Got the impact a little too far to the toe. Using impact tape to try and fix that with proper focus.

What are you going to focus on?
"People have always been telling me what I can't do. I guess I have wanted to show them. That's been one of my driving forces all my life." -Ben Hogan
Ded2Journey

Postby lagpressure » Mon May 16, 2016 11:52 pm

I prefer practice on the course to the range. The range feels so detached from real life.

Couldn't agree more.
lagpressure
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to In Search of the Great Ball Strikers