Mac O Grady (Prime Years)

Hosted by Grady (NFBANDON)

Re: Mac O Grady (Prime Years)

Postby stevemcgee99 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:45 pm

LesMurray wrote:I have a set of '57 Staffs that I just absolutely love. And the thing that really makes that set are the Rocket Shafts. I really can't put into words the feeling of the shaft as it interacts with the ball. It has a liveliness that my other sets with more modern TT shafts just don't have. My set is all original with the leather grips, just flattened the lies some.

That's what I play. My favorite set, and I carry 2, 4, 6, 8 and a 3-D.

Compared to the Turfriders I have, the feeling is much nicer. Now that I think about it, the difference has got to be the shafts.
McGee
stevemcgee99

Postby twomasters » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:02 am

Mac left handed...4;30!!!

IMG_0549.JPG
IMG_0549.JPG (62.87 KiB) Viewed 1584 times
twomasters

Postby Frozen Divots » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:25 pm

Frozen Divots

Postby lagpressure » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:27 am

or this:
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby Range Rat » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:08 am

Good sippin' bootleg whiskey here. Weird quality, but that's what moonshine is all about.

You're ahead of where you were, and behind where you're going.
Range Rat

Postby Wknhacker » Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:06 am

If you go to the 1:20 mark of that video you'll see Mac in his element.

Just amazing to hear the sound of the strikes as he calls out his swing speeds (40, 60, 80, 100, 80, 60, 40) and proceeds to hit them with a 6 iron - all with the same swing tempo.
"I have a tip that can take five strokes off anyone's golf game: it's called an eraser." - Arnold Palmer
Wknhacker

Postby k2baloo » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:08 pm

I'll be the first to admit I'm not a huge fan of Mac's approach, but would have liked a chance to watch him hit shots based on the stories/reputation alone.

I'm more a setup a good algorithm, iterate a ton, and let it converge to a solution kind of person. Mac seemed to really micro manage the movements of all the components. More like he's designing/engineering a car. This all just based off watching some YouTube videos, so could be inaccurate, of course.

Wish that video quality was better, but beggers can't be choosers and it's free.
k2baloo

Postby Range Rat » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:50 am

Big pieces of the video have prime Lag written all over it. About 13 min Mac, using a quieter tone, said to McCord he was going to show him "the secret to rotation" and proceeded to talk about going through the strike with cocked wrists just like Lag says, and combined with Macs flatter shoulder turn seems all advanced ball striking material to me. The other being low and left, emphasized when Mac held the shaft close to McCord's waist level, one of several other locations with the former being more difficult, and talked about a psychological discombobulation because of the closeness of the shaft. Just all good stuff to me, saved it, not sure how long it will be out there.

Pretty rude range worker too when he was responding to a question about taking the range bucket. I stand up for my fellow range workers all the time, but have to call a spade a spade. Doofus. Spring is just around the corner, just like post impact. :)
You're ahead of where you were, and behind where you're going.
Range Rat

Previous

Return to In Search of the Great Ball Strikers