Hogan.gif
Hogan.gif (620.29 KiB) Viewed 2996 times

Hogan d2.gif
Hogan d2.gif (856.35 KiB) Viewed 3004 times
NRG

Re: Shell gifs

Postby LesMurray » Tue May 31, 2016 2:28 pm

Nice!

If I understand my Mod 9 - the top gif is a fade and the bottom a draw. The differences are subtle with Hogan.
LesMurray

Postby Ded2Journey » Tue May 31, 2016 3:42 pm

LesMurray wrote:Nice!

If I understand my Mod 9 - the top gif is a fade and the bottom a draw. The differences are subtle with Hogan.

Post impact shaft plane is a dead give away...never took mod 9, but i can "feel" it. Once again NRG, expanding the universe...thank you sir!
"People have always been telling me what I can't do. I guess I have wanted to show them. That's been one of my driving forces all my life." -Ben Hogan
Ded2Journey

Postby LesMurray » Tue May 31, 2016 4:31 pm

Ded2Journey wrote:Post impact shaft plane is a dead give away...never took mod 9, but i can "feel" it. Once again NRG, expanding the universe...thank you sir!

Watch the shoulder motion - the fade has the right should staying more under and the draw has the shoulder coming more over very much like a drop shot vs topspin lob in tennis.
LesMurray

Postby norcalvol » Tue May 31, 2016 5:21 pm

Don't see any differences that you are talking about... however the divots with respect to the initial ball flight direction are different... the top divot is in line, whereas the bottom divot is oriented slightly to the left.
Accelerate forever!
norcalvol

Postby Stu Carlburger » Tue May 31, 2016 6:23 pm

Norcalvol,

Look at the very last frame, focusing specifically in the right shoulder. Notice how in the top (fade) gif his right shoulder remains visible, but in the bottom (draw) the shoulder disappears? Also, notice how the club in the fade swing goes up parallel to the target line, while in the draw swing it significantly more "across the line?"

It's subtle, but extremely powerful.
Stu Carlburger

Postby k2baloo » Tue May 31, 2016 7:36 pm

Pretty sure the top shot is a draw. Finished long and left of the pin if you watch the footage. He was hitting a partial wedge with a slight wind so was probably working to not overcook it. You can see the ball appear to take off at the right edge of the green.
Second shot looks like a draw given the start line. That one was a 4 iron up the hill if I remember.
Hogan hit a lot of draws during this match, especially with the irons.

Thanks for the gifs! I really love this footage... the hogan vs Snead shell match is what peaked my interest in Hogan's game a long. Terrific stuff
k2baloo

Postby Ded2Journey » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:45 am

k2baloo wrote:Pretty sure the top shot is a draw. Finished long and left of the pin if you watch the footage. He was hitting a partial wedge with a slight wind so was probably working to not overcook it. You can see the ball appear to take off at the right edge of the green.
Second shot looks like a draw given the start line. That one was a 4 iron up the hill if I remember.

Thanks for the gifs! I really love this footage... the hogan vs Snead shell match is what peaked my interest in Hogan's game a long. Terrific stuff

How do you explain the divots?
"People have always been telling me what I can't do. I guess I have wanted to show them. That's been one of my driving forces all my life." -Ben Hogan
Ded2Journey

Postby k2baloo » Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:13 am

Ded2Journey wrote:
k2baloo wrote:Pretty sure the top shot is a draw. Finished long and left of the pin if you watch the footage. He was hitting a partial wedge with a slight wind so was probably working to not overcook it. You can see the ball appear to take off at the right edge of the green.

How do you explain the divots?

What do you mean?
k2baloo

Postby k2baloo » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:33 am

If you need the proof. Watch this vid from 3:25-4:20. They interview Ben after the hole and he admits that "unfortunately, I drew it a little bit". If you don't believe that interview is after the shot in question, then find yourself a copy of the match to prove it to yourself.

I knew it was a draw because I've seen the SWWOG footage many times

k2baloo

Next

Return to In Search of the Great Ball Strikers