Like a hot knife through butter...

Hosted by Grady (NFBANDON)

Like a hot knife through butter...

Postby Ded2Journey » Tue May 31, 2016 3:54 pm

Seems to me as I gather mastery over the 430 line, there is a distinct feeling of the club face pointing to the sky. My best strikes are like sending a hot knife (flat blade) through butter (P3-then earth-P4). Thoughts?

"People have always been telling me what I can't do. I guess I have wanted to show them. That's been one of my driving forces all my life." -Ben Hogan
Ded2Journey

Re: Like a hot knife through butter...

Postby faldonorman » Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:23 pm

I love how in the top pic it looks like Hogan could hit any shot he wanted from that position. Like the discussion in the Shell gif thread, it would be interesting to see his post impact positions after this frame.

The bottom pic shows the positive tensions in a hitters swing as he is about to rip through the ball. Nothing easy about Hogan's swing. He just had crazy good tempo that gave the impression his swing way 'easy' or 'loose' as some like to say.
faldonorman

Postby stevemcgee99 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:47 pm

I've seen guys cut through 4" bamboo and they looked nice and easy. But there's no way anything can slice through bamboo without significant force. And the first lesson in kendo is footwork.
McGee
stevemcgee99

Postby Ded2Journey » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:40 am

Effortless power for sure. I'm beginning to wonder if it has something to do with aerodynamics. As the heel of the club approaches the ball it seems to pick up velocity on it's own. I really like the slicing through bamboo analogy. I don't think that would be so easy without a sharp blade. Much like being a hitter does not work effectively without a sharp leading edge...hmmm, something to ponder for a while. THANK YOU...
"People have always been telling me what I can't do. I guess I have wanted to show them. That's been one of my driving forces all my life." -Ben Hogan
Ded2Journey

Return to In Search of the Great Ball Strikers