Ryder Cup 2016

Hosted by Grady (NFBANDON)

Ryder Cup 2016

Postby nfbandon » Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:57 pm

Reed/Mcilroy and Mickelson/Garcia was some of the most compelling golf I have ever watched. Glad to see the US get the Cup back, but more importantly the golf was top notch. The only negative was Westwood. Gotta feel for him.
nfbandon

Re: Ryder Cup 2016

Postby Nickj1 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:46 pm

Dan Jenkins: "19 birdies in one match. When the U.S. Open was here in 1970, I think there were 19 birdies all week."
Nickj1

Postby k2baloo » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:53 am

Loved watching this weekend. I couldn't believe how well some guys putted it.
k2baloo

Postby Mashie72 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:29 am

nfbandon wrote:Reed/Mcilroy and Mickelson/Garcia was some of the most compelling golf I have ever watched. Glad to see the US get the Cup back, but more importantly the golf was top notch. The only negative was Westwood. Gotta feel for him.

I agree..Still don't know how Sergio pulled off a halve with 10 birdies thrown at him. I don't think Phil gave away the other 8 holes with bogies...Fantastic play all around by both sides..

Maybe it's just me but I am still having a hard time swallowing the TV's coverage of the event. I realize times change and it's on for umpteen hours. But IMHO they actually show very little. For me it's like watching ESPN's highlights with a bunch of commercials thrown in between or on top of the highlights. For example on the last day with the first match out on the 2nd hole Par 4, they showed a total of 2 shots. Rory's 2nd second shot and his putt..Not 1 shot from Patrick on that hole...How in the world can you not show those 8 shots on the second hole with the first group out?? Advertising and selling background drama laced sub-plot stories of course..

Just like Grady implied..the golf is the story!

Sorry for the rant..Just had to say it..
"The secret is on the deck"
Mashie72

Postby Nickj1 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:32 am

Nickj1

Postby stevemcgee99 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:19 pm

Mashie72 wrote:Maybe it's just me but I am still having a hard time swallowing the TV's coverage of the event.

How in the world can you not show those 8 shots on the second hole with the first group out?? Advertising and selling background drama laced sub-plot stories of course..

Sorry for the rant..Just had to say it..

That's why I'd rather watch the same Open over again on Youtube than anything on cable today. 58 minutes of just golf and great commentary (and rain pelting the umbrellas).
McGee
stevemcgee99

Postby nfbandon » Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:55 am

Seeing Crenshaw and Sutton swing was so depressing. Hal is only 58 to my 56, and he can barely move. Crenshaw is really having trouble at 64. I guess I should feel lucky to still be able to move pretty well at 56, but I can see what is in front of me. Need to play more, while I still can. :(
nfbandon

Postby norcalvol » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:07 pm

nfbandon wrote:Seeing Crenshaw and Sutton swing was so depressing. Hal is only 58 to my 56, and he can barely move. Crenshaw is really having trouble at 64. I guess I should feel lucky to still be able to move pretty well at 56, but I can see what is in front of me. Need to play more, while I still can. :(

Former MLB pitcher Bill Lee is now 69 years old. I recently heard an interview with him, which focused on how he still plays baseball in various forms in various friendly amateur leagues. The interviewer asked him "How can you still play (and still throw a fastball) at your age?" Lee replied, "I never stopped playing after I retired as a professional... The secret is to never stop your activities."
Accelerate forever!
norcalvol

Postby Mashie72 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:32 pm

norcalvol wrote:
nfbandon wrote:Seeing Crenshaw and Sutton swing was so depressing. Hal is only 58 to my 56, and he can barely move. Crenshaw is really having trouble at 64. I guess I should feel lucky to still be able to move pretty well at 56, but I can see what is in front of me. Need to play more, while I still can. :(

Former MLB pitcher Bill Lee is now 69 years old. I recently heard an interview with him, which focused on how he still plays baseball in various forms in various friendly amateur leagues. The interviewer asked him "How can you still play (and still throw a fastball) at your age?" Lee replied, "I never stopped playing after I retired as a professional... The secret is to never stop your activities."

I remember Spaceman
"The secret is on the deck"
Mashie72

Postby Ded2Journey » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:55 pm

Interesting topic, my wife is an Occupational Therapist and most of her dementia patients retired young and became reclusive. Living in Colorado you see a ton of vibrant healthy 70+ people hiking, biking, running, etc. There are some recent studies that discuss how the body moves the mind and I find this discussion so true in my experience. Never stop moving, Never stop learning...
"People have always been telling me what I can't do. I guess I have wanted to show them. That's been one of my driving forces all my life." -Ben Hogan
Ded2Journey

Next

Return to In Search of the Great Ball Strikers